Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliatallmadge

pls show me interior columns

juliatallmadge
16 years ago

We're working on a very open floor plan-- due to side setbacks etc it's almost railroad-esque in that it's one large rectangle split in three kitchen/dining area/ family room. to set the family room apart a bit, the architect is proposing columns that will be close to the wall. I'm not entirely sold on the columns. I proposed doing a halfwall/half column but the point was made that the wall would have to be thicker and so we'd lose precious space in the room. I've found some photos online etc... but would be grateful if anyone had other photos to share-- either of full columns or half. Or if anyone has any other ideas of how to separate the rooms a bit. thank you!

Comments (22)

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

I always wanted columns, I knew exactly how I wanted it to feel. They have made my house, I love them.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

We have a very open floorplan with arches and columns to separate the rooms.

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Here are mine in the DR. One full one and two "halves" butted up against the walls.

• gardenchick1
    16 years ago

We have a very open floor plan and used columns to separate the dining room from the living room. Where the two columns are on the left was actually a kneewall in the original plans. Since we wanted an open foyer area (which is to the left of those columns), we eliminated the kneewall. I think it really separates the two rooms without closing it in.

{{gwi:1433638}}

• juliatallmadge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you so much- it's so helpful to see photos. interesting to me that you all have square columns-- currently in the plans we have 10' round ones. how did you decide to go with square and does anyone have photos of their round ones? thanks again. i'm also now thinking of the option of the half-column butted up against the wall as you've shown me in your photos

• montalvo
    16 years ago

We have two round columns in our living room that match 23 on the exterior of our house. They're pre-cast concrete columns that come in two halves. Actual support is provided by 4x4 posts inside the columns.

Bob

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Bob, that is one stunning room! Did you decorate yourself? Wife? Interior Designer? It looks so pulled together...something mine is sorely lacking. I keep trying though....sigh!

P.S. I love EVERYONE's columns!

• tnhousewife05
    16 years ago

lindybarts- love the look of your columns and your kitchen, could u email me some more pictures of your kitchen area? thanks

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

tnhousewife, thank you! I have an album for my kitchen that should show everything. Please ignore the ugly white outlets on the island, I found some nice Bronze ones that blend right in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindy's Kitchen

• txgal06
    16 years ago

I hesitate to post since everyone's rooms are so pretty, but here's mine (during move in) with 10" round ones since that's what your plan calls for. The columns match columns on our front and back porches (the exterior ones are 12"). Unfortunately, you can't see the entire column from this photo.
    {{gwi:1433643}}
    The columns from another angle.
    {{gwi:1433645}}

• montalvo
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliment, lindybarts. Yes, we did have an interior designer. But the key for us was getting rid of ALL of our furniture when we moved into the new house. Starting with a clean slate makes everything easier, whether you're doing it yourself or working with a designer. Here are two more pictures from the balcony, minus the Xmas tree.

Bob

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

txgal.."what you talking about Willis?" Your room is really pretty! Love the paint color, what is it? And is that stained concrete on the floor? Love it!

Bob....I wish your designer was near me...I need her help! I love everything in your room!

• txgal06
    16 years ago

Thanks Lindy! The room is evolving slowly...mirror is hung above buffet, chairs are getting recovered, and I am still looking for a rug and something for the back wall. The color is SW Whole Wheat and yes, the floor is stained concrete. We love it and it is easy!

• msmagoo
    16 years ago

Do any of you have 8ft ceilings? I love the look of columns, but I only have 8 ft ceilings.
    Thanks

• kulagal
    16 years ago

LindyBarts: I love your teak floors - what company or mfr are they from? And, what a lovely home! We are still working on elevations for our home - so far to go. TIA

• acountryfarm
    16 years ago

The columns in my house that I posted earlier in this thread are in rooms with only 8 ft. ceilings.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

kulagal, Thanks! We got the Teak from a local hardwood floor company so I'm not sure on the brand name. I have to go over there this week to get more cleaner so I can ask then.

:c)

• amyks
    16 years ago

Bob, I love your house, I remember it from a thread long ago. Just gorgeous!!! I love the glass table with the iron scroll legs. Unfortunately for me there isn't enough windex in all of Maryland to keep my 4 kids mitts from messing it up.

Amy

• montalvo
    16 years ago

Amy, if the coffee table would be a headache for you, imagine how much Windex you'd need for our glass dining room table. It's ten feet long and almost seven feet wide, seats twelve. And trust me...even without four kids, it's a challenge to keep clean!

Bob

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Bob- I second the "IT'S GORGEOUS" sentiment! (meant to share that last week, but had no time!)

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Thanks LindyBarts - that would be great if you could get the name of your floor maker. I would love to get a sample sent to me if they do that sort of thing. Everyone has such amazing places!

• vfish
    16 years ago

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier. We just moved into our home and have been too busy to get back to the site.
    I too have a very long and somewhat narrow living and dining and kitchen area. I elected not to enclose the kitchen in, rather highlight the columns with arched tops and simple in design. I also elected not to put some sort of "room divider" between the living and dining area. I used my furniture and rugs to separate the two rooms and so far it has been working nicely. Whenever you think you need to add something, take something away. Keep it simple and streamlined.

This is a picture looking into the kitchen from the far end of the living room.

Looking out toward the far end of the living room from the dining/kitchen area.

Dining room and part of kitchen after furniture is added:

This is the floor plan to that room:

Hope this helps.
    V