Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

what do you do with dishes that are still dirty?

vacuumfreak
16 years ago

When you open your dishwasher and the dishes are still dirty, what do you do? I'm sure some of you rinse so well that it never happens. I do not... I got a dishwasher because I didn't want to wash the dishes. However, sometimes a dish will still have something on it. The glass 9x13 cake pan that I make brownies in comes to mind. Also a wooden spoon, especially if it was used on pasta will still have residue on it. Sometimes, I put them back in for another cycle, maybe change the position. Other times, I resort to handwashing. What do you do if that happens to you?

Comments (9)

• jannie
    16 years ago

Exactly what you do. Re-run it in the dishwadher, or hand wash(sometimes a good soaking is needed). I had a pot that was black from sauce I burned in it. I ran it thru the dishwasher for a week, probably 10-15 times and all the black stuff washed away.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I wash the item by hand if it comes out of the dishwasher still dirty.

• kris_zone6
    16 years ago

Run the rinse cycle of your dishwasher after you put the dirty dishes in. This will help loosen some of the gunk.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I re-wash the dish in the dishwasher again. We rarely have it happen anymore since we only use Cascade Gelpaks or Electrasol tablets with the ball. I think they make a big difference. We used to have egg stuck to spatulas all the time and now I can't remember the last time we had to rewash one.

I NEVER prewash or rinse. I scrape the big stuff off and into the dishwasher everything goes!!

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

I put the problem in a different part of the dishwasher, if possible and re-wash. Sometimes using the pot and pan setting. I try to remember which item is a problem and sometimes pre-rinse next time.

• cynic
    16 years ago

With enzyme detergents, it's important to NOT rinse everything first. (If you go to all that work, why not just swish it in some soapy water, rinse and be done with it anyway? But I digress).

The reason you want some foodstuffs on there is the enzymes need it to eat. Otherwise they'll start to eat into the dishes and stuff. That's how you get a lot of the etching and damage.

vacuumfreak, what kind of dishwasher did you get? I thought you had your handwashing system down pat?

I used to have a water pressure powered countertop dishwasher and it worked OK but not great. I started washing by hand. Several things made a big difference. First was a GOOD soap. I use Dawn and Joy only. Second thing is to soak things that need soaking. That'll lift most of the crud. Especially raw egg, or soft cooked egg on a plate or utensil - get that soaking immediately or rinse it off right away! Third, get GOOD non-stick pans and easy to clean utensils. I threw out a lot of Corningware because the baked on crust was just too hard to clean. Lastly, get to the stuff quickly, run some water in the sink and put stuff in it right away. Then it's swish, rinse and put in the drainer to dry.

You have to load a dishwasher carefully so you don't block the water from getting to the other items. Sometimes it can be tough to do. A lot depends on the dishwasher.

• shaun
    16 years ago

What I hate is the water that is left in the bottoms of the upside down cups/glasses and lids that water gets trapped in the edges. So I always open the bottom drawer first and unload that, then when I pull open the top drawer, any water that spills out doesnt get all the other stuff wet.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a great tip, Shaun... one I've also learned from experience! Cynic, I did break down and buy a dishwasher... see my response to the "does anyone still hand wash their dishes".

• mandy_g
    16 years ago

I wash mine by hand - and I never prerinse (due to the whole enzyme thing discussed above). There is one thing I noticed on your post though - everything I've ever read says to NEVER put anything wood in your dishwasher (wood handled knives, wooden spoons, cutting boards, etc) Wood is not dishwasher safe. It breaks down the wood, rots it, and there goes your wooden item. Just thought I would share.