Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krislrob_gw

Five Star 48'

krislrob
16 years ago

I'm building a home and working on getting quotes for my kitchen appliances. I came across Five Star 48" ranges in my travels yesterday. Anyone know anything about these ranges? Pros or Cons? I thought I had set my mind on Thermador or Dacor, but I'm having second thoughts. Would appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• money_pit2007
    16 years ago

I did quite a bit of research, but wound up with a Thermador - but only b/c I got a good deal on a floor model. The Five Stars are nice - but those puppies are built for cooking! They may be a bit less aesthitcally pleasing - some rough edges were things that I noted. But when I saw one up close, I recall just saying to myself that these were real cooking "workhorses". (and that's a very, unofficial, non-scientific review!).

Good luck.. hope this helped.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Based on the specs, seems to me you get a lot for the money. I like the windows in both oven doors the included griddle cover and wok ring; and the fact that the big oven is electric and self cleaning, while the smaller is gas-- that's something you find on the $30,000 french ranges.

I haven't seen one in person, though. I'd want to check exactly how big a pan can fit the small oven, how smoothly the racks work, and what cleaning the drip pan will be like.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Star at US Ap

• krislrob
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!! I'd like to see one in person too and not everyone carries them.

• foodnut
    16 years ago

You may want to check Capital Range: http://www.capital-cooking.com/indoorcol.htm or the new hottie with awesome performance: the CornuFé

Here is a link that might be useful: CornuFé videos: cooking demo

• moose_2007
    16 years ago

I'll be building a home too and have poured over the GW forums on appliances looking for just the right buys. I'd never heard of Five star until I looked onto the Coast Wholesale(Canada) website and saw them. The video that goes with the brand says their high burner puts out 21k BTUs and makes boiling a pot of water for pasta quick-that is important in our house. Anyhow, not much feedback from GW members on Five Star. How come?

• jab913
    16 years ago

I drove around until I found one to look at. Personally I was not impressed. Thought they looked alot better on the web site. Quality of construction just didn't feel up to par. Oven doors felt flimsy and the racks did not operate smoothly. I was truly disappointed since I was hoping it would fit my needs. I drove even further to find a Capital Precision. Now that range did impress me. Of course it was pricier however even comparing it with other pricier ranges it was nice. Let me put it this way, I was so impressed I ordered one. Have not gotten it yet and it will be even longer before I am ready to install it but it is on order.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

anyone else have experience with these? Thanks

• User
    16 years ago

I looked at 5 star a little over a year ago, and at that time, and for the price, it didn't seem to compare well with the Bluestar.

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

I saw a new Five Star 48" range - I think it was $5999 - it was OK, but I wasn't overly impressed. The doors didn't feel very solid and the racks were not smooth. I gladly forked over the extra $$ to get my Capital. On thing I did like about the Five Star was it comes with the griddle AND a grill attachment that has a nice finish that seems like you can actually keep it clean (and it goes in the dishwasher); nice, but again, not enough for me to buy it.

• smoothtalker
    16 years ago

A good friend of mine put a 5star in her new home about a year ago. She loves it. I must clarify though that she had been cooking for a large family with a small trailer oven. She think's it's the cat's meow. Her and her 7 girls do alot of cooking on it and has wonderful things to say about it.