Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

Do I care about volume control?

stu2900
15 years ago

We are officially getting started on the remodel and I have to make decisions. I hate that part! So, I'm looking at tub/shower combo faucets from Moen or Hansgrohe. I've been leaning to Moen's Kingsley series because they have a single handle one hole lavatory faucet and I like that. I want Oil Rubbed Bronze fixtures and am back and forth between having a fixed showerhead, handheld on a bar and tub spout, or just handheld on a bar and tub spout. I emailed the people at Moen and they sent me a diagram of what I would need having all three components. There seems to be a 4 to 5 hundred dollar difference between 3 components and two. Does that seem right? Moen says if I have 3 components with temp control and volume control I need two valves. Is this correct? I'm so confused right now. I guess I want the best system I can get for the best price, but then again don't we all? I'd also like the system to be simple to use. I need to figure this out but my mind is going crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• kgwlisa
    15 years ago

That sounds about right. There are basically two choices in types of valves. One is called "pressure balance" and they are the old fashioned kind of valves where you turn the thing on, turn it one way to get it warmer, the other way to get it cooler and all the way in one direction to get it to go off. This type of valve is also available with a diverter, which allows you to divert the water between a shower head and a tub filler. This is the simple, basic, no-nonsense way of getting water to your fixtures. I have never seen a pressure balance valve that sends water to three different devices though, only two, which is why they are telling you that you need 2 valves to control 3 things. The downside to this type of a valve is that as you change your mix of hot and cold water, the pressure changes as well (at least in my old house it does), especially as you run out of hot water later in the shower.

The valve that has become increasingly common is the thermostatic valve. What it basically does is it takes your hot and cold water in and puts out water of a constant temperature. The way I understand it (and I'm sure people will correct me if I am wrong) is that it is smart enough to adjust the mix based on where you set it, so you have a constant temperature even when there are fluctuations in the input (cold starts off much colder in the winter, you start to run out of hot water because you're the last one taking the shower etc). I'm sure there are limits to how much of a temperature difference it can make up but in general it should be keeping the temperature pretty constant. Then it sends this full flow of mixed water to a second valve called the "volume control" valve which allows you to control your volume independently of the water temperature. Because the volume control is separate from the mixing valve, you can add as many devices as you want into your system (of course if you operate them all at the same time, pressure will drop at some point depending on your house pressure and line sizes). So if you wanted 3 devices you'd have one thermostatic valve to make the right temperature of water and then 3 volume control valves to turn them on and off and adjust how much water comes out of each device. This is supposed to allow you 1) set your temperature control and "forget it" and not have to mess with it every time you turn on the shower 2) keep a more constant shower temperature and 3) allow your water pressure to not be tied to the temperature. It's a more expensive setup.

• astridh
    15 years ago

I have Hansgrohe ORB faucet (Retroaktiv line) and shower fittings with the Moen Kingsley ORB towel bars. I think they look fine together. So, if you like Hansgrohe for in the shower/bath and Kingsley for the faucet, I think it will be okay.

I have a standard 30" by 60" shower bath, and I think having only a shower bar with a handheld mounted on it is fine. I even put the same thing in a separate shower (not shower bath) in a different bathroom. I have never missed having a separate wall mount shower head. The hand held is also great for cleaning the shower and for adjusting to the height of different users.

Hansgrohe does make a thermostatic valve that has a three way diverter. You can find it on faucet.com. They only show it on their website as part of a system with showerbar/handheld, wall shower head, and body sprays, but if you call them you can get the valve and trim separately. I like the Hansgrohe because it has the temperature control and the volume control on one central piece. Even for a three way diverter, it is only one central piece. It is a cleaner look, especially if you would need three separate volume controls. It would probably also be cheaper than buying Moen's two valves. I bought all of my plumbing components online from faucet.com and they helped me figure out what I needed. Faucetdepot.com is also good. I don't think that Hansgrohe's Retroaktive line includes a single hole/single handle faucet.

• bradleyj
    15 years ago

My shower setup is a thermostatic valve, followed by a volume control valve, followed by a 3-way diverter (overhead rain shower, body sprays, and handheld on a bar, but you couldsub a tub fauct for the body spray or overhead I would think)

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, this is what Moen told me to get.

TL3450-Exact Temp Thermostatic Single Handle Tub/Shower Trim kit

TL3600-Volume Control Valve

3867-4 Function Massaging Handshower with Slide Bar

3371-Thermostatic Valve

128284-Twin Ell

A725-Drop Ell

What I'm wanting is a Tub/Shower and handheld shower on a slide bar in ORB. Does this sound like what I should be getting? The cost comes to about $1100. Or, is there a more economical way. I'm looking at the Kingsley.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

astridh--forgot to ask, does the showerhead on the bar hold it's position well? My tub/shower is only 5 foot long by 29" wide. I don't like the shower spray in my face all the time, so I like to tip it down. Another question, since this tub is small, do you think haveing the fixed and handheld shower heads will just look like too much?

• astridh
    15 years ago

Yes, the showerhead on the bar can be directed wherever you like, and it holds its position well. It is easy to direct it against the wall for when you first get in, etc. It can be directed up and down as well as side to side and swivel. Personally, I think fitting both a bar with handheld and a fixed shower head is too much for a 30" wide area. Maybe someone who does have that set up will post a photo for you. If you want to stick with Moen, it will also be much cheaper to just have the one valve.

• cindy_socal
    15 years ago

Look at the Hansgrohe pieces and check their prices.

We just ordered Hansgrohe Retroaktiv shower faucets today at a local dealer. A standard shower arm with showerhead, wall bar with handheld, upgraded handheld hose, rough valve and thermostatic trim was just over $600. I thought it was a great price, even better than FaucetDirect.com (whom I've been very happy with for other purchases). You can get the Hansgrohe thermostatic valve trims for one, two or three fixtures, and the nice thing is that they have the temp control and volume control on one piece (like astridh mentioned above).

• stu2900
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cindy--do you by any chance have the model numbers of the pieces you bought? I really appreciate the help you all are giving me!

• cindy_socal
    15 years ago

Here's what we got:

Rough valve; thermobalance III - 06628
    Valve Trim (the part you see with lever) - 06067
    Showerhead - 06126
    Small showerarm - 27411
    Handshower - 06127
    Wallbar - 06890
    Metal showerhose - 28116
    Wall outlet for handshower - 27454

We bought Polished Nickel; the color code is added to the above part number.

You buy the valve and trim, depending on how many functions you want (just shower; shower/tub/ etc.)

Also, I think for a tub/shower, I would do a wallbar with handheld and tubspout. I sort of wish we had done that with our tub/shower that we just finished; we just did a standard showerhead. We're using the Hansgrohe pieces I listed here for a master shower.

Good luck! It is very confusing. I was really happy to discover the local dealer knew what we needed.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I have the same situation - shower over bath - and I've also been trying to decide between a fixed showerhead + handheld vs. handheld only.

Astrid, do you find you get the same water pressure out of the handheld-only configuration as you would out of a fixed showerhead? I'm afraid that running all that water through all that hose would affect the strength of the spray...

• astridh
    15 years ago

I live in a part of California with strict water conservation rules about flow from shower heads, but I haven't noticed that the handheld makes a difference.

• suero
    15 years ago

The pressure of water out of my handheld is greater than the pressure out of my husband's fixed showerhead. I think it depends upon the pipes in the walls, since we have the same kind of thermostatic valves and volume controls on the two fixtures.