Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theanimala

Double Ovens: Electrolux or Bosch 800 series

theanimala
15 years ago

So we are on the final decision on our kitchen redesign and I am stuck between these two models.

Bosch: HBL8650UC 30" Double Wall Oven

Bosch: HWD3050UC 30" Warming Drawer

Bosch: HMB5050 Built in Microwave

Electrolux: EW30EW65GS 30" Double Wall Oven

Electrolux: EW30WD55GS 30" Warming Drawer

Electrolux: EI27MO45GS Built in Microwave

The price delta between the two is $665 more for the Electrolux package than the Bosch package (same retailer, so same shipping charges, lead time etc.).

Pro's for Electrolux - #1 is appearance, we really think it is a beautiful looking piece of equipment. #2 is I love the easy glid rails.

Pro's for Bosch - #1 is it is $650 cheaper, can't ignore that, but in a $50K remodel I guess that doesn't mean much. #2 is it is slightly larger as it the heating elements are hidden.

I am concerned about performance and reliability. The Bosch is made along side Thermador, which I have heard HORRIBLE things about, but I haven't read much about the Bosch. Basically I am looking for expert (and non expert) advice on which one I should really go for and why, as I am really split.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• 59 Dodge
    15 years ago

Had the Electrolux Icon built in Convection oven as well as the Icon built in Speed oven, since Nov 2006. Luv em and they have been trouble free, so at least, this time, CR was correct.As the convection oven is below counter, those easy glide out racks and the fact that they glide wayyyyyyy out, makes it easier on us.
    The Speed oven, which we use the most, as it virtually does everything is at about eye level and we love that.

Gary

• creek_side
    15 years ago

We are in a similar dilemma. We going to go with the Bosch, until I played with its knobs. They feel very flimsy to me. There is no feeling of quality there.

I suspect that the knobs control optical encoders or some other electronic input devices. They feel like they are poorly supported cheap consumer grade parts. Its not the kind of feel I expect for that much money.

The Electrolux ovens have a couple of issues as well. There are the reports of the blue interior flaking and the fact that you can't use a roller rack in the lowest position because it is blocked by the door.

I tried moving the Electrolux racks around the other day. The model I was playing with had roller racks that were hard to move around. The area you have to grip to remove and install the racks felt like it might slice your hand if you weren't careful.

The salesman tried to get the rack back in and couldn't do it. I managed, but it was a bit of a struggle. Both roller racks acted the same way.

We are now undecided on our oven.

Here is a link that might be useful: BSH Home Appliances Corporation

• creek_side
    15 years ago

If you are into washing machines, click on any oven. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Oven Portfolio

• theanimala
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Creek side, I played with the Electrolux at a few stores and in each of them, the rails slide in like butter. Perhaps the one you tested had an issue with it? I would say they slid in easier than any other easy glide rail system I tested.

Regarding the Bosch, I believe you are talking about the 500 series, which has the knobs that control all of the functions. The 800 series is an electronic control panel much like what you find on the Electrolux.

Thanks for the info on the blue interior flaking, I've heard about that in other brands but not the Electrolux. Something to keep in mind. I need to decide something shortly so I can give my KD the final specs.

• creek_side
    15 years ago

Yes, my mistake on the Bosch model number. I was thinking of the 500 series. Thanks for catching that.

I don't think I was very clear on the racks. I did not have any issues with how the rack slid in and out for use. I had problems sliding the whole assembly in and out to change it to a different height.

I have had a chance to play with a different oven in another store since the post. It was easier to change the height on the second unit, but I still think it leaves something to be desired. Also, I still get think the edges in the clip areas are not smooth enough.

• theanimala
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My bad as well, now I understand what you were talking about. I have not tried to move the racks yet, but I will. I don't move them very often in my oven now, but it will still be good to check.

Anyone think it is worth $700 more for two electrolux wall ovens and a warming drawer vs the bosch?

• theanimala
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I thought I would give a final bump to see if there are any other thoughts before I make the decision. Right now we will probably go with the Electrolux based on appearance, paying the extra $700 or so.