Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

OT: Goodbye, sweet kitten

johnmari
16 years ago

My beloved cat Random crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Wednesday evening. She was 12. To avoid redundancy, I'll link to the main (very long) post.

Comments (9)

• SusuLo
    16 years ago

IÂm so, so sorry for your loss johnmari. I know how hard losing a pet can be. To me, losing a pet is as hard as losing a family member (because to me, they are a family member). And even though the choice you made was a terribly hard one, to me it was the right one. I went through a similar agonizing decision when our dog Jake had a cancerous tumor on his liver. I felt sick about making the decision, almost guilty, but realized that operating and the quality of life he may have lead afterwards (had he even survived) wouldnÂt have been worth it. He was old and having to go through chemo and radiation afterwards would have ravaged his body, and what kind of life would that be? It will be hard for a long while with out her there, but it will eventually get easier. Even though we have adopted two "fur kids" since, I still to this day (and itÂs been four years) get teary eyed thinking about Jake (he was my first pet of outside my parentÂs home) and donÂt think he could ever be replaced. Again, IÂm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your DH.

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

Oh, this is a hard thing to go through. I too am sorry for your loss Mari. I can still break down and cry at the oddest times when I think about my old Golden who passed almost four years ago. You obviously did everything you could for her, and I know she felt loved and safe with you.

• jgirl_2007
    16 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our last two cats this year, the first in January and the 2nd in April. Both were 17. The kids took it the hardest. My 10 year old said Cali was her best friend whom she could aways talk to. I feel your pain and wish you wonderful memories during this time of healing!

• pirula
    16 years ago

awww, I'm very sorry too. I lost my beloved cat Goose at 14, and now Ashley is 21 and every day is a gift.

My thoughts are with you.
    Ivette

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Mari, I'm so sorry for you, sweetie. I know how tough this is. It's like losing a member of your family. Please pass on my condolences to John, as well.

• eleena
    16 years ago

Mari,

I am very saddened to hear that. She was in some of your pix of the house, as I remember... She was so SO sweet!

And it is so untimely with everything that is going on with you guys! (And how could it ever be "timely"?!)

Our thoughts are with you and John!

• shelacious
    16 years ago

I just read the longer post and looked at the pictures. I'm so sorry for your loss. Many people don't understand how difficult loosing a pet--a member of your family--can be. I just have tears in my eyes as I read your story and look at my 8 year old dog Rambler. Every day she's here with me is a gift, and your story reinforces that. I hope you and your hubby--Random's dad--can get through this--with time. My thoughts are with you.

• johnmari
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, everyone, and Bill especially, since you had the good luck to meet that shy little lady-cat when you were here. She didn't come out much when strangers were around and if she permitted a petting, wow, you were definitely OK! (The dog's an attention slut, he'll take it from anyone. *chuckle*) We're having a tough time, especially me - the dog is totally "Daddy's boy" but Random was "Mama's girl" all the way. It would have been better if the rest of our life was more stable, but it is what it is. We picked up her ashes today and now are in even more of a hurry to get this house sold and move to another one so that we can bury her under a lilac tree; this spring, when the lilacs we planted last fall bloomed, she would sit in front of the open window for hours and hours, so I think she loved the scent of lilacs as much as I do.

Everyone, please give your critters a little extra loving for me.

• twitchy
    16 years ago

I can only say that I am so, so sorry for your loss. I couldn't finish reading the original post because I started bawling before I finished the first paragraph. We have three cats. One has a thyroid problem and one is a diabetic. Once again, I'm really sorry. : (