Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thrift_shop_romantic

Can I run a holiday project idea by you all?

Hi-

I'm involved in a holiday swap and my swap partner is a real fan of The Wizard of Oz. I was thinking I might make the following:

A sign or wooden door plaque that reads, "There's no place like home... for the holidays" and then shows a heart, a courage medal, a diploma and some ruby slippers in opened gift packages..

Do you think this would be cute, or too convoluted? I would likely do the work in pencil first and then craft paint.

Would be delighted with any suggestions/additions/subtractions etc., you might think of.

Many thank yous, ladies (and Jim),

-Jenn

Comments (8)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

I think that sounds adorable...so personalized...it will be so special for your friend. Go for it, can't wait to see it!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sounds adorable and would be a unique and special gift. When I first started reading the words for the plaque, I mentally pictured it just with the words and the slippers. That might make it a bit simpler for you, and still be cute. Just depends on how detailed you want it to be. I know you make wonderful things, so will look forward to seeing pics when it is completed. ;o) Luvs

• dreamgoddess
    16 years ago

Jenn, I'm also a huge WOZ fan. For several years, I always decorated a 4' tree every year with WOZ ornaments. Last year was the first year I didn't put it up in...wow, I don't even know how long.

I think this is a fantastic idea for your swap partner. Please share photos with us when you finish it!

• msflutterfly
    16 years ago

The idea sounds cute...but here is another thought that would be cute too. In the movie (one of my favorites!) Dorothy had to click her heals 3 times and say "There's no place like home." Instead of putting the heart, clock etc..., at the top of the sign put 3 sets of "ruby slippers" as if they were "clicking" then on the next line put "There's no place like home..." and on the third line put "For The Holidays" with gifts on either side. Whatever way you do it will be cute I'm sure. Have fun!

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much, all of you, for the great suggestions.

I think I will probably streamline it so it's just Dorothy's shoes popping out of a package... and how many I use, will depend a little on how the initial sketches go. You've all helped give me some extra direction-- thank you!

Dreamgoddess, I'd love to see pictures of your tree when you put it up!

--Jenn

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Jenn, that is going to be a WONDERFUL and very special gift.
    How lucky she will be to get something like that. Can't wait to see a photo of it.
    by the way, answered you on my collecting phobia in previous post where you'd asked how-why. LOL

hugs, Karen

• judithva
    16 years ago

Jenn, what a great and personalized gift for your swap partner, I am looking forward to seeing the finished project!

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Heh, thank you, Judith-- I'm curious how it'll be myself! :) I think I'm on the right path with it now. So yup, I'll make sure to take pics.

Thanks, everybody, for the moral support and advice though. Sometimes it's just so useful to talk something through beforehand.

-Jenn

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone
More Discussions