Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jul2019

How wide can a peninsula be?

jul2019
11 years ago
I have base cabinets and want to put 12" wall cabinets behind it and then have a sitting bar area behind that. So the peninsula would then be (24" base + 12" wall which are turned in base + 6-10" for overhang bar area). Is 6" too little and 10" too much? If we go with 10" then the peninsula would be 46" wide. Is that too much?

Comments (9)

• wheretogirl
    11 years ago
    Why do you want to use a wall cabinet behind the base? Is this for function or aesthetics? A skin can be placed over the back of the base cabinets, or even non functioning doors to make it look nicer. Dangeling feet are sure to kick this area. Ten to 12" of overhang would give more leg room.
  • Tarey Cullen
    11 years ago
    24 + 12= 36 + 10 = 46" . OK. But it's more important to evaluate what is going on around the entire area ?
    Place this proposed new counter into the actual space plan drawing ( to scale) to determine overall measurements and evaluate walkway measurement behind the bar seating and/or any other obstruction ? example door way /swings ?
    I have used 46" width on island in remodel with sink on one side (made it a 30" depth) . and 14" extension for comfortable seating on the other. I do not think you will like accessing the cabinets under the over hang . Also suggest you add decorative brackets for the extension support.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    46" wide is a bit too much for a peninsula, 10" overhang is fine, and the 12" base cabinet in the seating area would be impractical for access.
  • jul2019
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the feedback. The problem is that I have cabinets I bought at an outlet and need to work them into my space. I am trying to use as many cabinets as possible. This was one solution. My gut feeling was that accessing the cabinets below the overhang would not be desireable. You guys have validated what I thought in the first place. I think I have figured out a way to get all but one of the 25 cabinets into the space without the cabinets below the overhang.

I will either use a skin or beadboard along with decorative brackets to cover the base cabinets and add detail to the overhang. Thanks again!!
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi djazz4195,

Here are a few photos which show what you're considering. (These are snapshots of mine, not professionally taken photos so please excuse the quality)

The client absolutely loves this arrangement of a 24" lower, 12" upper and a 12" overhang. While the shallow storage cabinetry under the sitting area is not used frequently, she uses it for seasonal items and anything which gets used infrequently. (Prior to that, those items were stored in her garage or bedroom closet)

Fwiw, the tall cabinet resting on the peninsula is surrounded a very large beam we had to install to support the roof. Wrapping it with cabinetry was a nice way to integrate it and give additional storage on 3 sides.

Hope this helps

Steve
  • jul2019
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow...that looks great. That is interesting because that is a similar situation to mine. We have a chimney we had to enclose in drywall. We were going to put up a corner cabinet which would stick out about 7 inches and then install shelves on the back side going up to the ceiling. I've enclosed a picture...hopefully you get the idea. What do you think?
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi djazz4195,

Could you post additional photos from further back and a basic kitchen floorplan? (Even a rough sketch works) That would be helpful in determining the options you have for the space. I see how it could be similar to what I posted though.

Thanks
    Steve
  • Lynn Wu
    5 years ago

I'm considering a peninsula with 24" base + 15" base + 12" overhang + 1.5" overhand on the other side = 62.5" - I think this is probably too big, right? I could use 2-15" base, but prefer the drawers in the 24". What do people recommend for the cabs: 24+15, 15+15, or 24? I have a post, which complicates things a bit.

djazz4195 What did you decide to do? I would love to see photos.

Beautiful Remodel llc Would love to hear your thoughts about max depth for a peninsula.

Thanks.