Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jzanny_gw

What do you think of my master suite layout??

jzanny
11 years ago

Hi, We are in the process of starting our home addition and unfortunately I am not satisifed with the upstairs master suite layout. I feel like there are too many doors in the master bath, its confined overall... Can anyone help me with some new ideas or suggestions?? I have made some notes on the plans for reference. This space is over our garage and we have the whole floor.

My bathroom request are:

free standing soaking tub

linen closet

toilet room (i love the idea and my husband thinks its a waste...what are your ideas?)

airy shower 4x5?

-large walk in closet

-sitting area in master room

I feel like there is wasted space and the layout could flow better. Also the small bedroom off to the side is actually going to be my office...does it work?

Thanks for any help! Im desperate!

Regards,

Suzanne

Comments (21)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

A few things.....can you turn the stair at all? I would not like coming up the stairs into a wall, and then having to take the long walk back to get into any place. And I'm not sure how you bring mattresses and such up that stair arrangement.

The WC door and the bath door interfering like that would never pass muster with DH in our house.

I would not want to have to go through the bath to get to the closet...to me the closet should open to the bedroom as should the bath.

I don't know what area of the world you live in, but the western facing windows in the master can get very hot. Also is that a big window in the closet? can't tell, but it's not a good idea as the sun will fade clothing. And I like lots of light in a bathroom, but your mirrors seem to block the best light from the south.

I would think about reversing the bedroom and sitting room spaces as I would prefer the bed away from the street noise. And depending on how noisy one gets with printers and such in the office, you might want those further apart as well.

And not specific for your plan, but a question in general....I have seen so many windows over tubs, but I always thought it just made it hard to open the windows (which I do all the time) and that in the tub, you're too low to really see the view anyway. Is it really that nice to do? Or does it just look nice. Our tub is in an interior bath so it wasn't an issue for us either way.

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Thanks for the reply.
    In response to your comments:
    Stairs- we cant change the direction of them, I too agree that I dont like walking into a wall and am concerned about furniture but we have no other choice.
    Master bath/Closter;agreed again- I was thinking either (1) moving the bathroom door centered on the wall so you could go left to the bathroom or right to closet - a duel entry or (2) keeping BR door there and adding a door to the closet (just dont want to loose closet space since i already am with the window . Regarding the windows that is another issue, we had to go for a varience before the town and we are pretty much locked into the windows.
    On the South side we have a neighbor right there and they didnt want us putting any windows there that would invade privacy for them (annoying); and on the West side I dont like that I have such a large window in the closet but i have to for the look outside. Ill attach a phote for you to see. Thanks again for the comments.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"On the South side we have a neighbor right there and they didnt want us putting any windows there that would invade privacy for them"
    Seriously?
    They are telling you how to build your house?

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes! Thats my town, they were brutal to deal with and tried controlling everything. Extremely annoying.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Hi, I'm just browsing around while I wait for the Supreme Court decision this morning, so I don't know how you plan to live in this house. That said, I'll just limit myself to suggesting you recess the linen closet into the master closet. That'd open up and simplify the bath area considerably. There'd also be no need for those little diagonal walls chopping off corners of the bed area.

As for respecting neighbors' wishes where it can be done, I certainly agree with your decision. We will always ask our neighbors for their wishes in case they can be accommodated. Our neighbors cast a decisive vote on our current house color, actually, a pretty gray (DH's #1 for not showcasing dirt) or white (my #1). They preferred gray because it wouldn't obtrude in their view the way white would. Gray it is. :)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Is it possible to do this, a total rearrangement:

an open office/nook where you have the sitting area so the stair feels less cramped?

Then, your master bedroom in the SE corner. (put some high, small windows on the south wall that still protect your and your neighbor's privacy, but get you some light on 2 sides of your master).

bathroom, closet and sitting area arranged in a way that makes sense with plumbing and flow on the front of the house.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Alternatively:
    office where it is
    double door entry from hall way directly into master sitting area with bedroom area to the SE corner again.
    closets and bathroom on front side, both accessible from bedroom/sitting area directly, rather than from one or the other.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

There are quite a few posts regarding opinions on toilet closets, and generally even if it isn't your preference, you should 100% include it as it will be necessary for resale. Also, while it feels odd at first, I think you come to prefer the privacy quite quickly! :)

Overall, I really like your layout. I love the entrance to the closet from the bathroom (though it isn't everyone's preference) as it is helpful for me and my DH when getting ready in the morning. Sometimes we don't have the same schedules and it helps us to get ready without distubring the other one.

I also think moving the window over somewhat and including some matching cabinetry/shelving on one side of the tub (the wall towards the bedroom) would help tie things together. There might even be room for a small bench or vanity there as well.

[Traditional Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by San Francisco Interior Designer Amoroso Design

[Contemporary Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Photographer Elad Gonen & Zeev Beech

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Oh, I really like both of Kirkhall's suggestions! :)

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the replies. I like the idea of moving the office to the sitting area for a more open feel but I really want to have a door to a office for privacy. Need to be able to make work calls without noise around as well as if I don't put away all my paperwork I like that we can't see it once I close the door. It's going to be a fully functioning office vs just doing bills office. What are your opinions on the sitting area? Is it a waste of space? Does anyone actually use it?

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Regarding the sitting area I think some people use it, though I know I wouldn't personally. Do you have one now? Is it something you see yourself using?

Personally we will have a TV in the room, and there will be a single comfy chair however I don't need the seperate sitting area as when I watch TV from my room I'm usually in bed, or I'm sitting on the chair reading. We also won't have us much furniture in the room we won't need all the dressers taking up space once we have a nice large closet!

If you were willing to let go of the sitting area I'm sure some people (like Kirkhall!) who are better at layouts than myself will have some wonderful ideas for you.

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi I'm willing to remove the sitting area but not sure what to do with the space.

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi I'm willing to remove the sitting area but not sure what to do with the space.

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are there any more ideas for my layout? Should I keep the sitting area?

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I think you need to spend some time with graph paper and play with some of the suggestions to see how they would fit, and if they appeal to you. If you aren't great "seeing" spaces after you have them drawn out to know how they'll function, we can critique that for you.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Perhaps if you think about view and light it might help you decide.

Then you need to think about how you want to live in the space. Does the sitting area need to be closed off at all? How long will you spend in the office each day? If the office is used a lot and for long periods of time, then I would give it a lot more space. I'd like to see the whole south wall as the master bedroom with incorporated sitting area. Then you'd get morning and afternoon light both. I keep wanting to put the closet in the office space...

For me, I'm not a fan of very large master baths as we like a warm bathroom after taking a shower and big rooms are hard to heat up that way...but again, that's how we live. You need to think more about how you live.....the layout of the space should serve your needs and that's very personal.

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK here is a new idea that I had, what do you think? If i keep the sitting area open at the top of the steps it makes the area feel open. Then I keep the double entry doors open to my master room to keep that open feel or close then when privacy is needed. Does this look better? Sorry for the hand drawings.

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK here is a new idea that I had, what do you think? If i keep the sitting area open at the top of the steps it makes the area feel open. Then I keep the double entry doors open to my master room to keep that open feel or close then when privacy is needed. Does this look better? Sorry for the hand drawings.

{{!gwi}}

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I like this idea. I think it will help the upstairs not feel so cramped when you first get up there.

I'm not crazy about your toilet location--it feels carved out right there.

Are there ANY windows on the far right wall in this picture? If not, then, I propose swapping your toilet room and sink locations.

Also, your linen closet just juts into the room. I'd figure out a way to have that against a wall (just turn it 90* and put it against the wall), or move it to the corner between the new location of the toilet room and the vanity (where you have a sitting vanity drawn). Then, when you walk in the bathroom, you have the potential for a nice "view"/look of tub/shower, rather than wall of linen closet.

• jzanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

KirkhalL yes agreed. When my husband saw the plans he said the same thing we actually moved the wall over in the sitting area so we can have a large linen closet on that wall near the tub. Regarding the toilet I have to keep it there because there are windows overs the vanity and I don't want to loose that light. Now when you walk in the bathroom the soaking tub will be the focus. It should feel nice and spacious. Thanks for you input.