Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyinva

Help: Need an air or whirlpool tub no longer than 5 ft

sandyinva
13 years ago

So depressed. All I have thought about for years is having a whirlpool or air tub. Last winter's snow removel and aching bones finally convinced DH. Remodel guy says no, go with a nice shower and double vanity, as there will not be enough room for corner tub or I can have a 5 ft tub where shower is currently, and create a smaller shower elsewhere, and have smaller vanity.

What can you all recommend? I saw a favorable post on the Clayton, I would like to know of more options.

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Comments (9)

• jacobse
    13 years ago

If you have room for a 5' tub, then you certainly have whirlpool options. I'm not very familiar with all that's out there, but the tub I recently bought comes in a number of whirlpool configurations in addition to my basic tub: do a search for the Kohler Hourglass series.

-- Eric

• kaysd
    13 years ago

I really liked the 6' Bain Ultra Meridian air jet tub we had in our last house. They also make 5' and 5.5' models.

• pepperidge_farm
    13 years ago

We picked up a 5' American Standard jetted tub for the main bathroom at HD for much less than ordering as it was in stock off the shelf.

It's in 4 1/2 yrs, works well, no problems!

You should not have a hard time finding one!

• lilyluv
    13 years ago

We are nearing the end of our master bath/bedroom addition/renovation. I, too, wanted a tub that would be good for my fibromyalgia. After much research on this site and others, I choose the Pearl Maxx. It is not just a jetted tub, but a true whirlpool. If you get a chance, compare them. This whirlpool is similar to the ones that they put the athletes in. Since I wanted to try the air bubble tub, I ordered the one with the whirlpool, AND the bubble option, and the four extra back jets. The nice thing is that I can use the whirlpool, or the bubble or both. Both makes some nice ferocious water! :) This tub is 5 foot long, 36 inches wide and come with a front flange so it did not need to be a drop-in. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys, I am encouraged to know that if the room can't handle a longer tub, then at least I have workable options. Lilyluv, is the Pearl Maxx capable of fitting two people on opposite sides?

• cruisedirector
    13 years ago

Fitting two people depends on how much width you have and your drain locations. Maax has several lines of tubs (including the Pearl line, another tub company they purchased). With two people you would want both ends sloped for reclining and would want a center drain so someone isn't sitting on the drain. Although this tub will fit in a 60" space, the interior dimensions may be quite short due to the back slope on both ends. Kohler makes the Tea-for-Two tub in a 60x32, but I have a hard time seeing how it would be comfortable for two. Maybe someone who has one can comment.

You can go to tub mfg sites and put in your dimensions and it will give you the options.
    I'd say unless you have at least space for a 60x42 tub, you won't fit two adults in it, unless they are both rather small adults.

If you can fit a 60x60 corner tub, your options for two bathers is greatly increased with several companies making 2-person tubs. Jason makes a 55x55 corner tub for two.

I have a Maax Topaz 60x36 air tub and am very happy with it. And happy not to have DH in there taking up my space.

• lilyluv
    13 years ago

SandyinVA:
    My DH and I could not fit in this tub together... maybe two smaller people could, but not us! Cruisedirector is right. Our drain and faucet are at one end, so that takes out one person sitting that way. Had I thought, maybe i would have put those items in the middle..... no, I like it for the few minutes of sanity that the "single" tub and that "ferocious" water gives me!

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Cruise Director and Lilyluv,
    I definitely plan to be the only one in the tub most of the time.:>) But since we both have our share of back issues, it makes sense to share the space. I came up with an alternate plan today that will allow for a longer tub. I am thinking 66 inches L 36 wide. It means a much smaller vanity, 48 inches, and since I really wanted a longer tub, and not a large vanity, I am more than OK with that.
    I had hoped to start the remodel this summer, but I can see now that it will take some time to check out tubs. I am thinkng of spending the night at an inn that has Bain Ultra, and I found out there is a showroom for either Max or Jason about 15 minutes from here.