Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjacker

Induction cookware - Costco, online, etc.

cjacker
14 years ago

(Also posted on the cookware forum)

We put an induction cooktop in the kitchen of our new home. We are close to move-in and I still haven't bought new cookware to use. I am not a gourmet cook so I just need a good, basic set of pots and pans-definitely don't need the most expensive. I'm also rural so would like to order online if I can get some suggestions from those of you who use an induction for cooking. I noticed Costco has sets of cookware....has anyone used them for induction cooking? Any suggestions would be so much appreciated.

Comments (8)

• moose_2008
    14 years ago

I have a set of Kirkland 5-ply stainless cookware that I bought in the store. They work fine. Of course, my favourite cooking vessel is a Lodge enameled cast-iron shallow casserole sized unit that I just bought at Cabela's. Now that is a treat to cook in!

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

Just a warning: not all stainless works on induction. Test whatever you are considering with a small magnet if you don't know for sure. We have a stainless Cuisinart dutch oven that does not work on our induction cooktop.

I have & like:

Henckels Classic Clad Stainless for saucepans & saute pan. I prefer the long handle shape & they're much less expensive than All-Clad.

All-Clad Stainless 12" & 6" skillets, 4 qt. & 8 qt. soup pots (dutch oven).

Farberware Millenium stainless non-stick 8" & 12" skillets.

LeCreuset enamelled cast iron french (dutch) ovens, 5 qt. & 9 qt.

Lodge Logic cast iron skillets

Stainless stockpots (restaurant supply store)

For a basic set of cookware, I recommend: 8" & 12" skillet, 1 qt., 2 qt., & 3 qt. saucepans, 5 qt. dutch oven, as many as possible with lids. This can be from multiple sources; don't get a set unless it contains just what you want.

• cjacker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

moose, was this the Kirkland set on Costco's site now that has the copper bottoms? I'll have to look at the Cabelas Lodge casserole you are mentioning...love Cabelas so will find it online. Thanks.
    gizmonike, thanks for such a great list. I'll have to start googling as I want to order online. Are the Lodge Logic skillets the same as "moose" mentioned above from Cabelas? Thanks.

• moose_2008
    14 years ago

gma j:
    I live in Canada and the Kirkland set that I bought (last year)was not available on line here, however i did see it online in the States. I second bringing a magnet, I do not see how a copper bottom pot will be induction compatible. The Lodge I bought was $69 in Salt Lake city(I bought it last month-we were visiting friends. Our first Cabela experience-wow!). They didn't have a lot of pieces of the more kitchen friendly Lodges there, but what they had was a reasonable price in my opinion.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

The example seller page is just that. I have not bought from them. There are probably lots of places that sell these on the internet.

This is the made in China set Costco.ca used to sell along with their portable Mr Induction unit in a package deal. Bit of a mismatch for that but of course they worked great on a regular stove as well. Very similar style and performance to big brand Sitram from France. They are heavy and the solid stainless rod pot lid handles get quite hot compared to strap type. Great starter set to use while acquiring your favorite additional pieces over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Semi commercial induction pots from Homichef

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

Lodge Logic is the preseasoned cast iron, not enameled. I found that I still needed to season the cast iron, so I used a method similar to seasoning a cast iron wok. I melted some Crisco shortening to coat the inside of the cast iron, wiped it to remove excess, placed the pan upside down in an oven preheated to 450° with aluminum foil underneath (on the rack, not the oven bottom), "baked" it for an hour, & finally turned off the oven, leaving the pan to gradually cool. Repeat several times & you'll have a fantastic nonstick surface. The pan is placed upside down so the shortening will spread out & not pool in the middle of the pan.

• cjacker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for all the good information.

• johnfh
    14 years ago

The one pot not mentioned is a 16-20 qt stock pot, which is indispensable for lots of things (pasta and Super Bowl party chili being the obvious). Vollrath has a line of induction-capable cookware (Tribute series) that is quite nice and includes good 16-22 qt stock pots. Available online as well as through many restaurant cookware suppliers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vollrath 16 qt stock pot