Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregfl

liebherr 49 vs sub zero 42 for remodel. What would you do?

gregfl
13 years ago

I just had a complete kitchen gut. I can get a 48 liebher, refrig one side, biofresh/freezer other side, panel ready....or I can get a panel ready sub zero 48. Both have ice makers but no ice in the door. The Liebherr is less money by almost 2k.

pros for each as I see it...

Liebherr has larger capacity than sub-zero

Liebherr has bio fresh unit, variable speed compressor

Sub zero give you the real estate bump on resale and better interior styling and more commercial "on the top compressor" look.

to me it seems a classic style over substance issue with a financial incentive to go with substance over style.

Question....what would you do? I can afford either unit but 2k is 2k. Is it worth the difference? what if they were both priced the same? Is one substantially better than the other.

Thanks! Looking forward to the responses.

Companion question. I have a 48 Culinarian on order. What 1200 Cfm insert hood would you buy? The local appliance dealer recommended a 48 ge mongram, then I saw it has mesh filters. I understand the baffles are better. Which one would you buy, and why?

Comments (12)

• gregfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BTW, title of Op is wrong, both the liebherr and the sub zero are 48.

Thanks.

• homechef
    13 years ago

Greg, if you are doing the kitchen for yourself, which I assume you are, go with Liebherr. Liebherr doesn't have as big of a market presence as the SZ, yet, but it's a very good fridge. I guess if this was resale, based on what you said is expected in your area, you would have gone with Wolf, not CC.

I also have CC on order, and got 48" Liebherr, for what it's worth.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Check the cubic feet. From the website it looks like the sub zero is significantly bigger but not sure I understand why! I am a bit obsessed about cubic feet these days with 3 growing boys!

• fabbric
    13 years ago

An appliance salesperson told me how they measure fridge capacity...apparently SZ measures total volume in the fridge whereas Liebherr measures usable volume (they don't include the space shelves and drawers take up). I don't know if this is true but it may account for the difference in measurements.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Well that is irritating! How are you supposed to compare between brands? I have been going under the assumption that the 15.5 cubic feet I have now is not nearly enough so I am looking for something significantly more than that . . .

• gregfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses so far. I probably didn't explain why the leihberr is 'bigger', but for me it is because 2/3 of it are refrig/biofresh space. We use the freezer for ice, ice cream, and the occasional fish that we catch. So as far as usuable space FOR US the liebherr wins. I think it is a wash For overall space as the dimensions are relatively the same.

As

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

The Liebherr sounds like exactly what I need. I need much more fridge than freezer - just an icemaker and a place for ice cream for the freezer. We will have an upright freezer in the laundry room as well.

I also love the price! I'll have to check that out!

• gregfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also have a fridge/freezer in the laundry.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

AJ Madison has the liebherr like you are looking at for under 7k. I thought the SZ 48 was lots more than that but I haven't looked at it myself.

• gregfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As ordered the difference ended up being $1500. I ended up with liebherr sbs 240i1. Carefully ordering the liebherr off an Internet site as it is easy to make a configuration error. Better to call Trevor and let him walk you through it.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Post what you think about it when it comes :) We haven't even broken ground yet so I am not in the immediate market but it sounds great!

• sadiebrooklyn
    13 years ago

I decided to go with the really big guns and get the sz columns - one for fridge and one for freezer (27in wide ea with approx. 16.3 cu ft ea.) this way we will have plenty of room for his: frozen peas and amy's veggie burritos and hers: homemade chicken stock and pancetta for a rainy day. Guess which one is a vegetarian! I considered the Liebherr but I've seen them and do have concerns about not having enough storage. We don't have the luxury of having an extra fridge somewhere else (nyc apt.) and so this is my one change to go for broke (which is exactly what I'm doing!)

I will be ordering the 36" c culinarian (4 burners plus grill) would love the 48 but then between the range and the fridge there would be no room for cupboards (galley kitchen). Trevor recommended the 42" prestige 1200 cfm to go with the range.