Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

My Visit to see a Lacanche (Cluny)

sayde
15 years ago

Yesterday DH and I drove two hours (each way) to visit with a lovely couple who were recruited by AC and had amenably agreed to have us come to see their Cluny. Their stove was actually built in 2003 but had never been used or installed until this past September. It was nearly brand new -- the burners had been used a little but the ovens -- hardly at all if at all. It was black with brass trim. And absolutely beautiful. It did not disappoint. Loved everything about it -- the size, styling, burners, size of the ovens. Only one thing concerned me: the oven racks were really sticky! They were really difficult to slide in and back on both the gas and the electric ovens.

So once again I turn to you, Igloochic, Clinresga, Joe, Ivette all of of the Lacanche Garden Web community -- please tell me -- are all the racks like this? Are yours?

Comments (6)

• velodoug
    15 years ago

The sticking racks were discussed here several times over the years. It's a simple matter to straighten the uprights of the rack supports by hand and the shelves will slide very easily. One thing not to do is oiling the shelves. That only produces a gummy mess after a few heating cycles.

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much velodoug. I thought I had read back through the Lacanche posts but didn't recall seeing anything about this. I appreciate the information!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

sayde, you're saying the range was installed last September, after sitting for 4 years, and the oven has been barely used! And I'm going stir crazy after 6 weeks so far of having my kitchen torn apart, longing to cook and bake again!

Glad to know about the racks, thanks velodoug.

sayde, did the range meet your expectations? Were the ovens the size you expected them to be from the pics? Did they demonstrate the burners for you?

• terryskit
    15 years ago

Interesting to read this post, because we, too, had an arranged visit to see a Cluny recently. We loved the look of the stove, as we knew we would, but were unpleasantly surprised when we inspected the ovens, and came to find out that the broiler is only in the electric oven. The owner helpfully brought out a red pepper and we proceeded to roast it under the broiler, something we do a lot of at home (up to this point she didn't even know where the broiler was!). Well, it took forever, and we left feeling that we had to go back to the range hunt. Do any of you Cluny lovers have more to say about the ovens? I do a lot of different kinds of baking and was surprised to find out that the Cluny oven was the deal breaker for us. Am I missing something?

• clinresga
    15 years ago

sayde: Chelsea also says that the older style rack supports were updated and that the sticking rack issue is less now. Won't be able to confirm that personally for a couple more weeks but will definitely post update.

terryskit: we "cheated" and added a single Miele 30'' wall oven along with the Cluny 1400. A pricey but definitive solution.

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi pluckymama

Yes the range I saw Saturday had been ordered by someone else and somehow it was not taken so became available. This buyer found it on the AC reserve list. This buyer was just finishing her house -- new build -- and had been living in it since September but hadn't really been cooking.

I found the size of the Cluny ovens to be just right for me and not a surprise as I knew the measurements from the AC site. The ovens are basic-- they have a smooth black enamel interior. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I had noticed that the inside of the door on the warming cabinet seemed different -- like a bright steel finish? This was from glimpsing the interior of the warming cabinet in the little video in which the cookbook author Diane Morgan gives a tour of her kitchen -- she has a huge Sully? or Fontenay? stainless with chrome -- it is on the AC site in the Archives photos.

The heating elements in the electric oven on the Cluny seemed small. The burners were gorgeous and had a beautiful even flame and instant ignition. The Cluny has a beautiful design and proportions. Even DH was impressed.

I will talk to Chelsea about the racks. Since I am now past the August 1 price increase, I am not in a rush to place the order and feel I should do due diligence and check out other options. But I just loved the Cluny.