Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericwarren

Cooktop Snob Appeal: Wolf vs. DCS

ericwarren
16 years ago

Ok...need all of your help here.

Now I'm between these two cooktops. I think the DCS better suits my needs, however, I need to check to see if the DCS is in the same "snob appeal ballpark" as Wolf. (Need to think about re-sale)

Thanks for your help!!!

Eric

Comments (17)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I think you should get what works best for you, because, really, will someone decide against buying your house because of the 'wrong' high quality brand of cooktop?

That said, to answer your question more directly, it depends on the buyer. My guess is that more people in the general public have heard of Wolf. TKO types, those that are really aware of the different brands and their capabilities, however, will have differing opinions of which is best for them. For me, I think I'd prefer Wolf, but I could still be impressed by a well-functioning kitchen with a cooktop as nice as the DCS.

How long until you might sell? Do you really want to wish you had the other cooktop every time you use it for that time period?

• Granite_Man
    16 years ago

DCS does not have the same snob appeal as Wolf.

Many people have never heard of Wolf. Most people have never heard of DCS.

• espnola
    16 years ago

I agree with Rhome's point about buying what works for you. I also agree with granite man that Wolf is probably more well-known.

That said, what wins out in the brand vs. fit contest will probably depend on how soon you think you might put the house on the market. The obvious reason that matters is because it determines how long you will have to live with your choice.

The less obvious reason is that brand recognition and "snob appeal" are not necessarily static. For instance, I've spoken to a few realtors and contractors who say their high-end clients still demand Viking. I've never owned a Viking, so I can't give a well-informed opinion, but based on some of the complaints I've heard, I wonder how long that brand's appeal will hold. I own a DCS range and have been reasonably happy with it, but I would guess that, between DCS and Wolf, the brand that will more likely impress a few years from now will be Wolf. That's just a guess and is based more on cost than anything else.

I also think that many if not most home buyers are not particularly discriminating when it comes to cooktops/ranges. They are just looking for that commercial look (and maybe the Viking brand). For those buyers, DCS and Wolf would probably have about the same appeal.

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

When we started our remodel, nosy neighbors inquired as to the brands of apliances we chose - they asked if we got "Viking and Subzero" and when I said no, it was clear that they felt our choices were inferior. So I would agree with espnola on this score.

If you're looking for snob appeal, go Wolf - but if it's for you - go with what works best for you - and that may be DCS

• dogidolo
    16 years ago

It also depends on your area. DCS has no appeal in Atlanta, while Wolf is hot.

• heimert
    16 years ago

Agree with previous posters:

First question is how long do you plan to be there. If it's more than 4-5 years, get what you want. Although a range should last longer than that, if your house is of the type that comes with Wolf/Viking/SZ, etc., then chances are decent the new owner may well put in their own range anyway.

Second is if you're really doing it for resale because you plan to move in 1-2 years, you're probably better off going with Viking. Espnola seems to have hit the attitude on the head: viking and subzero are still the "name" brands for a "gourmet" kitchen. It's silly, because there are plenty of products that are as good or better, but those are the names people know.

• ellene613
    16 years ago

For reselling to non-TKO people in a neighborhood where big ticket appliances are expected, Wolf and Viking have name recognition. But if you plan to live in your home for 3 years or more, get what works best for you.

• ericwarren
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for your insight!
    you've confirmed my suspicion that the DCS brand (not product) s just not as well know. In our area that seems to be the case.
    Not sure of our timeframe...no plans in the immediate future.
    We definitely like the Wolf and will probably go with it. Based on the QC concerns of the Viking, I just cant justify going down that path.

• agnesackneback
    16 years ago

In my area, everyone knows the Viking brand. However, I do not know one single person that actually has one. However, I did know one person that had a DCS, and they love it. And from all the researching, here especially, I went with DCS for my own.

I know you weren't asking about Viking, but even Wolf isn't all that common.

• ericwarren
    Original Author
    16 years ago

we got the wolf!
    so far so good!
    thanks again for all of your advice.

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

In this context, what does "TKO" stand for?

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

totally kitchen obsessed

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

Thank you. I'm usuallly pretty good at figuring out acronyms, but I never would have figured out that one!

• dallasbill
    16 years ago

Both a DCS and a Wolf will cook a snob equally as well.

So, buy the DCS and you will have money left over to celebrate one less snob in the world after the cook-off.

;-)

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Re sale.

Funny I used to think that way, but then I realized that where I live, most seem to buy the house then redo it to the way they want it. My neghbor next door bought her house, redid it(interior only since we cannot change anything about the outside) and didn't move in for 8 months. She also removed the good appliances(I thought they were good) including the sub-zero in the kitchen. This has happened in several of the houses around here...they are bought..and the insides are replaced.... and these houses are far from being "run down" or in poor shape.

So I am not going to worry about resale value when it comes to what appliances I have in the house. I buy what I want and I don't really care what my neighbors think about them, because when I am gone my ideas will get replaced.

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

I know about 5 years ago when I was looking, Wolf beat DCS hands down but I think DCS has since been purchased and redesigned into a much better product...at least from what I have read here. That said, Wolf and Bluestar get most of the attention here which seems to indicate they are still the main brand of choice in that price range.

• speedymonk
    16 years ago

When we purchased, we got a DCS 36" gas cooktop plus griddle. Debated on whether to get the Wolf or Viking. Our salesman used to do service work for all three brands. He recommended the DCS primarily because he said the burner unit and assemblies were of better construction/materials and the DCS would do a true simmer(not burn chocolate on lowest setting...true.)

We purchased what we wanted and what worked for us. Went with Dacor (new style) double ovens and Bosch DW. All good solid appliances that work very well in our kitchen. Did a GE Profile Artica (with precise fill) because it fit the hole and had interior features we liked. No, it wasn't Sub-Zero but it wasn't $15,000 either. It keeps the food cold and the frozen stuff frozen.