Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nostalgicfarm

1 1/2 story with angled or "L" garage

nostalgicfarm
10 years ago

I posted a few weeks ago about whether to do a 1 story or 1 1/2 with full basement. Just drove around with the husband, and he much prefers 2 stories (I call it 1 1/2 because only about 1/2 the sq footage upstairs).

Our building space would look best with a garage that is either an "L" or angled (in front of the house). I am thinking around 2000 sq ft on main floor, give or take some:).

Also, I would be particularly trying to capture views on one side (N) of the house and the back of the house (East). The west side would be the front, with trees beyond the driveway and the South side would be backed into trees...think Forest!

The NE corner of the house is where the absolute best view will be. What room would be the best for that corner? Should that be my dining area? I don't need a real formal dining area in addition to a breakfast area, but do thing a keeping room would be nice (or a very small formal living room at the front of the house). How would you place the kitchen/dining/living rooms in conjunction with the better views?

Ihave seen some plans that have a separate deck off the kitchen on the side of the house in addition to the back of the house. Not sure if I would like this or an extension from the back of the house. We will have to have a deck that extends the full width of the back of the house, but that could be added to most plans.

The main floor needs the master bedroom/closet/bath kitchen with a large deep walk in pantry (lot of canning!) only one eating area Powder room living room And hopefully a room that I can use for either a formal living room, office, or hobby room, or whatever I change it to down the road :)

I am sure I will probably hire an architect, but feel like I am soooo far away from that still...however I know I do should have a pretty good rough draft of a floorplan before I go see one! If I found a nearly perfect floorplan online, I could make that work too.

I thought I'd see what idea you all had first, since I am just viewing the same plans over and over again!

Comments (6)

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

How large is your lot? Could you turn the house slightly so more rooms can share the best view? In other words, have the front face southwest and the back face northeast.

If not, the room with the best view is the one where you spend the most time sitting and relaxing. Don't save it just for entertaining. It sounds like you have a lot of other nice views, so no room will suffer, but enjoy the best one as often as possible.

If you have the privacy for it, it's also nice to have the bedroom designed so the bed has a good view out the window -- and leave the drapes open.

One last question: Do you "own" the views? Are they all on your property or or protected in some way? If not, you may design your home around a scene that will change radically in the not-too-distant future.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My lot is many acres, and I own all my views I am trying to capture. I do not want to turn the house because of the hill that it will be on, and the rest of the place. I am thinking that maybe the northeast corner needs to be an L shape also. With maybe the living room at the northwest or the house, and the dining room and rest of the house starting on the south side of the living room. Maybe the front door/foyer next to the living room, and the dining room straight past the front door. Thanks for any ideas!

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I am sure I will probably hire an architect,...however I know I do should have a pretty good rough draft of a floorplan before I go see one!

That is not true at all. In fact, it is probably better if you do not have floor plan in mind when you hire an architect. Instead, you need a list of your needs and wants and you let the architect put it all together into a design that works best for your family and your lot. You job is to figure out your needs and wants and clearly communicate them to the architect. It sounds like you are already off to a good start with your list.

A book I found really helpful to read before we met with a architect was Designing Your Perfect House by William Hirsch.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do most people not already have a floorplan of sorts at least that they like when going into an architect? I would assume that most people search current plans, and take the closest one they like to an architect if they feel that they need it?
    I am a bit of a control nut, and will be doing a lot of the work myself. I have plenty of time before breaking ground...so it seems natural to me that I would start building it in my head/on paper. Curious about the process others take?

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Actually, the most important things to take to an architect to start the design of a home are: 1) a list of "must haves" that you and your spouse agree on; 2) a list of "nice to haves"; 3) a site plan; 4) a construction budget and schedule.

Architectural design is best as a collaborative process; one of exploration, discovery and refinement. If you walk in with a floor plan in hand all you do is prolong the process of exploration, discovery and refinement since your competency in architecture hardly matches that of any experienced architect. This forum is full of threads from folks who are struggling with their personal efforts to design something that is beyond their experience and knowledge.

I think it may have been Reno who said, in a similar thread, "why bring a sandwich tto a banquet?" Pretty much sums it up.

Good luck on your project.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I've never built a house, but I love to play with designs on paper (someday I may build on my Mom's lake lot...)

I know from designing my own kitchen that it's easy to get stuck on an idea, and not see another possibility. Sometimes you get a flash of inspiration, but more often fresh eyes - especially professional ones - can see things in a completely new and wonderful way.

So work on your must-have and wish lists, get measurements, topography, and photos of your lot, and let the architect do his job. Then come back here and let these wonderful people help you fine tune (more fresh eyes).