Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jammiesallday_gw

How do you feel about your UNDER counter microwave?

jammiesallday
14 years ago

Do you HATE bending over to get food?

Do you get a face full of steam?

Do your kids cook their toys?

Does it bother you that you can't see the touch pad without bending down?

Anything else that would help me decide either way?

TIA

Comments (6)

• cj47
    14 years ago

I've had mine in an undercounter position for the past 5 years, and I like it. My kids were never the type to mess with dangerous stuff (I was lucky, I realize) and they never cooked their toys when they were little. However, when they were old enough, they could "warm up" cups of hot chocolate and other small things. When we remodel, it'll be in a similar position.
    HTH
    Cj

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

I've had an undercounter Amana for 24 years. Love it. Whenever I use an above counter one, I'm always worried about dropping, sloshing or otherwise making a mess or burning myself when lowering things down.

My husband is tall and we've got no problems with it. Raised four kids and they never nuked anything that they weren't supposed to. Certainly made it easier for them to use when they needed to versus an above range one.

Getting ready to remodel and since Amana no longer makes the drop down door style, we'll be going with the KA Architect. Unforunately the drawer microwaves won't fit in our "hole".

• pjp65
    14 years ago

we've had an undercounter microwave (wolf) for 5 years and i love it. no kids, so can't comment on that, but to address some of your other concerns:

- i prefer bending down to get the food because i don't have to worry about spillage. i have to say, though, that my husband disagrees. i'm 5'4" and he is 6'1"...
    - i really love that it is out of sight - personal taste i guess
    - i have pretty much memorized the keypad by now, and i am usually hitting the "add minute" button anyway. no need to bend over for that.

we are building a new home and i will definitely be going with this set-up again.

hope this helps

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I needed to put the MW in my island but I didn't want to have to hunch over to see the controls, so I opted for a Sharp MW drawer. It's a little more expensive than a standard MW, but it's one of the favorite features of our new kitchen.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

I like mine under the counter. DH's grandchildren don't seem the least interested in it. We'd originally planned to have it hung below the wall cabinets, but decided that would be inconvenient. The only time we've moved it was when MIL was visiting, because she has a hard time bending, and likes to make her oatmeal early! Then we simply put it on the counter.