Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudsonleigh_gw

Dual Fuel or all gas range? Opinions please...

hudsonleigh
12 years ago

Hello appliance folks,

So my Dacor dual fuel convection range is finally biting the dust (due to recurrent electrical issues). I have to say that overall I have been really pleased with how this range cooks. But now DH wants to get an all-gas range. He cites more use out of our propane contract, and ability to broil/roast. I'm more of a baker -- breads, cakes, cookies, biscuits -- I bake at least two or three times a week. But, from what I understand the broiling thing is a valid point. On the other hand, from what I've read in the old posts I searched, the convection may not be as "good" in a gas oven.

Of course, if I could have anything in the world I'd have a separate electric convection wall-oven & then DH could have all the gas he wants in the range. But I don't have space for that.

So, what's a girl to do? Here's what I have to have: 30" slide-in, gas cooktop. Beyond that, I'm open to all of your advice & suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I switch and was concerned, 3 yrs later I have done pie, cookies, cakes, brownies & biscuits and all came out perfect. Roasted meats and veggies are better and no difference noted in any casserole type cooking. Having an Infra Red broiler is fantastic, though it is smaller than my 9 pass electric one it hasn't presented a problem. I am very pleased with the switch to all gas DCS range.

• sayde
    12 years ago

I was also anxious about switching to an all gas range but I do like it, especially the broiler. I also have a Breville convection oven and a speed oven so I have two small electric ovens for little things. Have you considered pairing a gas range with some kind of additional small electric oven? In any case, would not be at all concerned about the gas oven.

• cooksnsews
    12 years ago

I have the same AG range as eandhl, I believe. Also the same opinion of its oven's capabilities re baking and roasting. I briefly considered a DF, but choked on the price differential, plus, the numerous reviews of their electronics suffering premature meltdown, as you have just described.

• hudsonleigh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the input....i'm going to look at some tonight!

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

I have both an all gas range and an electric convection wall oven. The kids and I have done controlled experiments, baking the same recipes in both ovens at the same time, during periods with lots of guests present. Other than with roasts, I detect no difference in results. DS says the roasts done in the all gas ovens are superior.

• wekick
    12 years ago

I think there are differences in brands even among electric convection ovens as well as gas convection ovens. They all are a little different in the way they roast/bake so unless you can try them out it is hard to compare. They will also vary according to the way the individual uses them. I really like my electric convection ovens and would get them again. They are two different brands and are each a little different. If you broil a lot then I would get all gas but if you bake large amounts and fill up the oven, the third convection element is supposed to keep the oven temp more even. I like the various modes and being able to direct the heat from top or bottom. I have baked in all kinds of ovens over a long time and you can make any of them work but it just depends on what you bake/roast/broil and what will make that easier.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

I have both an all gas range and an electric convection wall oven. The kids and I have done controlled experiments, baking the same recipes in both ovens at the same time, during periods with lots of guests present. Other than with roasts, I detect no difference in results. DS says the roasts done in the all gas ovens are superior.