Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaismom_gw

Advantium or speed oven review

kaismom
14 years ago

I have a Viking gas range. I would like to get a second electric oven that is also a MW if possible and has speed cook possibilities.

MW is used for heating leftover food and softening butter. That is about it. We do not eat MW popcorn, and we do not use precooked frozen entrees. Currently using a $100 cheapo MW and fine with it. I would like to save the space and not have to get 2 ovens, MW and electric....

Most of all, how does food taste coming out of Advantium? Roasted vegies, potatoes, and meat? Any MW stringy taste? Cookies?

What are some of the options out there?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (11)

• peggross1
    14 years ago

I agree with the above poster almost completely.

Since I have a Miele convection wall oven I primarily use the Monogram Advantium as a microwave, at which is excels. (I know you don't care, but the Micro. Popcorn preset is perfect!)

I regularly use the speedcook function for making brownies, which my kids adore. They and all their friends agree that I "make" the best brownies ever - even though I use box mixes (various brands). The "Brownie" preset on the speedcook option is perfect, in my experience.

I also have used speedcook for making Pillsbury crescent rolls - they come out nice, but a tad less fluffed up than if baked in convection oven - I bake these cuz my kids love them, and they seem not to notice any difference between cooking methods, so it's just simpler to use the speedcook method due to no pre-heat required and slightly faster done time.

Offhand, I can't recall what else I've tried to speedcook - I should take the time to experiment more. I keep meaning to freeze a whole chicken and throw it in the Advantium to cook, supposedly deliciously done in 20 minutes. Frankly, I love the rotisserie function on my Miele oven so much, I'd hate to risk wasting the chicken! (One of these days I swear I'll do it and will report back the results.)

I once tried to cook a porterhouse steak and I thought it was disgusting. Nothing beats grilling, in my opinion.

At the holidays, I've wished for two more Avantiums! I use it as an overflow warming drawer, a regular oven, speedcooker - all of them! The trouble is, after using it as a regular oven, I don't think you're supposed to use it as a microwave right away, which is annoying (I've done it, but am pretty sure I've read that you are supposed to let the oven cool first)

Frankly, I'm likely to buy a countertop microwave to use at Thanksgiving only and then store away for the rest of the year.

Was my Advantium worth the money? For me, I actually think so. I know I would not be nearly as happy with a second regular convection oven, which we were also considering to have along with a drawer microwave.

If it really were only going to be used as a microwave, and a regular oven, I think it would save money as a two-in-one appliance, but keep in mind the inside is much smaller than a regular wall oven and of course you can't microwave something at the same time you are cooking in it as an oven. Thats somewhat obvious, but the reality is you really have to try to make sure you won't want to do both functions at once if you get a two in one appliance. I find it very annoying at Thanksgiving time!

For what it's worht, in hindsight, I'm really glad I did NOT buy a steam cooker (which I lusted over for a long time and could not budget) or a built-in coffee station.

• peggross1
    14 years ago

These may be helpful -

Monogram Advantium over Miele Convection oven -

Drawer under Miele oven, that I use to store the few Advantium accessories that you will want nearby (as well as my rotisserie things and other accessories for the Miele oven.) You will need to store the round metal pan and it also comes with a shelf-type of rack so you can cook two layers of things at once that I've never gotten around to using. It wouldn't fit in my drawer.

The metal pan must be used during convection and speedcooking. A round glass tray must be used only during the microwave function, so you need a place to store that when using it as an oven or speedcooker.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

I have a Miele speedcook and installed temporarily last week. It is a fantastic microwave. It works extremely fast. I also have been using the speedcook function. I burned my first sandwich because I set it for 10minutes. I have now made grilled sandwiches in about 6minutes. I have also made an egg souffle type dish and it is was perfectly browned on top. I have not made chicken or anything else like that because I also have the miele rotisserie too. I would purchase the Miele speedcook again.

Good luck!

• plllog
    14 years ago

So far the only thing I've done on my Advantium is set the clock (the kitchen isn't habitable yet). It's nice and easy to read :)

But Morton, don't pooh-pooh the frozen burritos!!! They're fabulous! You shred the leftover meat, lay it in with whatever rice, beans or veg is in the fridge, a little salsa picante or other wet and spice, roll it up, wrap it up, and freeze it. They zap beautifully and make a hearty walking meal in no time. You can go traditional on them, but I tend to favor D'Oni Bold As Love honey habanero mustard.

• kaismom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Isn't there any more folks that can write and say that their advantium oven cooks food beautifully? What I am hearing is that it's a very overpriced microwave oven! Please correct me, if I am wrong! Is Miele speed oven a better bet, even if it is more expensive?

• dlspellman
    14 years ago

No offense to anyone here....but, I think it boils down to how likely you will take advantage of all the features the Advantium has to offer.

I put one in two years ago, and I love it! I call it my kitchenwork horse. It microwaves, speedcooks, convection bakes and warms/proofs.

I use ALL the features, all the time.

I speedcook casseroles, frozen breads, entrees, chicken breasts (straight from the freezer), etc. 9 times out of 10 I am VERY pleased with the results.

I convection bake brownies, rolls, pizzas, roasted veggies, etc. ALL the time. Again usually very pleased.

And I use it more frequently than I thought as a warming drawer (when making pancakes for a crowd, keeping dinner warm for my late husband, etc.)

So, I go back to - if you will take the time to experiment and learn, I think you will truly like your Advantium. But, if you won't - then you just have a VERY expensive microwave... Only you know yourself. Good Luck!

• bommai
    14 years ago

Late husband! Couldn't help myself sorry!

Do you have the 240V advantium? It is quite a bit more expensive than the 120V. Also, I was hoping to get the 27" one instead of the 30" (the cavity size is the same). The 27" comes only in 120V and it is even cheaper than the 30" 120V.

What will I lose if I get the 120V 27" one?

Is the Advantium easy to clean? A Miele dealer was touting that the Miele speed oven is easier to clean than the advantium, but he could be pushing the Miele.

• dlspellman
    14 years ago

I have the 120V, as I wanted the bigger interior of the 120V. Plus, I wanted a 27" to stack with my 27" GE Profile Convection oven (didn't have room for 30").

At the time I bought (almost 2 yrs ago) you lost extra speedcook speed, but, gained more interior room. Since then, I think I've read GE was building a 240 with more interior space - not sure if that has been introduced.

As for ease of cleaning - it is a bit of a pain - reaching over the flip down door (plus it's a bit high for me at 5/2"). And I do have a few spots that when I didn't clean it right away appear to be now permanent, despite trying various cleaners/techniques. Can't speak to the Miele - is it a swing door vs. drop down? That would make it easier.

Hope this helps!

• homepro01
    14 years ago

The Miele is a drop down door. I baked peach cobblers, chocolate chip cookies, and madeleines in the speed cook last week. I had to watch it like a hawk. The madeleines were done in about 9mins. Everything else was done in under 15mins under the combo feature. I use this just like I use my oven. I did not find a restriction on the miele that said I had to wait to use the microwave after I had used the oven. I have cleaned my oven once by heating water in it and then just wiping it down. It is still early in its use but that is how I have always cleaned my microwaves.

Good luck!

• chipshot
    14 years ago

I think the Advantium (we have a 240V Profile) does a great job reheating pizza (much better than a regular microwave) and a very good job with chicken fingers/patties/nuggets. I'm not very pleased with its cookie baking skills (they don't rise properly) and won't try veggie burgers in it again.