Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblake_gw

Distance from range to hood

jblake
9 years ago

Our downdraft Jenn-Air is at the end of its life. Given that downdraft does a poor job of venting the cooking smell anyway, we decide to replace it with a normal electrical range and a proper hood. We are looking for direct back vent hoods (to save us the cabinet above the range in a small kitchen).

The cabinet is about 30 inch above the the range, and the hoods we are looking at, Kobe CH-122 or Zephyr typhoon/cyclone, both requires a certain minimum distance to the range. Running a quick calculation suggests that we are about 1.75 to 1.87 inch short of the spec.

Is there a bad consequence if we install one of these given that we are under 2 inch short? We do not deep fry things, but do stir fry frequently, though at a moderate temperature.

Secondly, Kobe CH-122SQB-1 has a baffle filter while CH-122SQ-1 has oil catchers, is a baffle filter good enough for moderate amount of stir fry?

Finally, there are hoods with ~400 CFM and mesh filters that just fit our distance, but I am concerned that these may not be powerful enough and we also might end up with oil dripping down the vent outlet into the siding. Correct?

Thank you!

Comments (7)

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

I set my hood closer to the range than manufacturer suggested with no problems. Personally, I don't think 2 inches would matter. your mileage may vary.

• macherie75
    9 years ago

I was told by distributor I got my hood from, that even though they recommended 28-30 inches from the range, the factory "safe" minimum was 24 inches, so there's some room to maneuver.

Of course, every situation is different, but I dont' think you should worry too much over a couple of inches.

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

Based on the CH122 dimensions, the hood will be only 24" from the range top. It's a little low and you will have a limited field of view to the cooking pot contents. Also, depending how tall the cook is, banging the head against the hood becomes a high risk.

Baffle filters are very good for catching grease, go for them instead of oil cups.

• jblake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the replies!

Glad to know that you guys think a couple of inches is not a big deal.

Good to know that baffle filters are good for grease. What's wrong with oil cups? All things being equal baffle definitely looks better for sure.

What do you think of a smaller thinner hood with mesh filter, like the 400CFM Bosch DUH36252UC?

Yes I am also concerned about field of view. The height of the future range is a standard size (36 inch). Our options are limited. Really don't want another downdraft -- the only downdraft range is Jenn-Air, expensive and also terrible reviews for its reliability. The only other option is a low profile hood with sliding glass visor. But that will eat up the cabinet above the range in kitchen already tight for space. :(

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

Mine is only 22 inches above the range ( Bluestar RNB ) and have no problems with seeing the top of the range , but that will probably depend on how tall you are. My only problem is I can't see the switches on the underside of the hood to operate the fan and light .

• jblake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

22 inch does sound quite low.

What hood do you use with your RNB? I assume you have a low cabinet which is why your hood is 22 inch from your range?

Thanks.

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

I have a Viking hood which I used when I had a Viking DF. The Hood worked pretty well, so I kept it in place when I changed out the Viking for the Bluestar. Yes, I needed a cabinet in that location because there were not a lot of wall cabinets in my kitchen. Even with the piping for the vent hood, I get a number of things in that oven including a few dutch ovens and a large pot.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH