Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texborn

batch feed disposal for infrequent use

texborn
16 years ago

Redoing kitchen. There is a batchfeed Kitchen Aid disposal that is probably 15 years old (we've been in house for 11 years, and the previous owners redid kitchen 5 years before they moved out). Would just as soon have something with a smaller footprint, if possible. We are on septic system, and so try not to let anything get down sink, so only use disposal occasionally when we goof up... The magnetic bit in the stopper is loose, and comes out occasionally, but otherwise it works, but we figure we should replace now, so don't have it fail after we've put in nice new sink et al....

Don't need anything very powerful, but there don't seem to be a lot of choices among batch feed. Definintely want batch feed....

Suggestions? reliability is important but are they all so big????

Comments (11)

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

Insinkerator Evolution. We just installed two of them, our first ever batch GDs, and love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insinkerator

• appliance_matt
    16 years ago

I stumbled across a brochure online (see link) for the Insinkerator Evolution Pro series (the ones supplied by plumbers rather than bought over the counter at HD or Lowes etc) and one of the differences between the standard Evolution range and the Evolution Pro range is that the Pro versions can be converted to batch feed with a special conversion kit, so if the size of the unit is an issue you could get an Evolution Compact Pro and get it converted to batch feed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Evolution Pro Series PDF brochure (see page 11)

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

While our house was being remodeled, we rented a beach cottage over the summer. There was an old KitchenAid batch feed disposal in the cottage. I already purchased batch feed disposals for our kitchen - Insinkerator Evolution Cover Control (we previously had continuous feed). I had never used a batch feed and I hated the KitchenAid and was wondering if I made a mistake. The Insinkerators are in our house now and they are great - there is no comparison. They run smoothly and quietly. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

• User
    16 years ago

If you're going to have one then I would replace it now. I have the WasteKing 5000 with no problems. If you don't use it that often and are concerned about the space you could set up for it but not install it. You could have an outlet for it (WK5000 plugs in) but don't buy/install it unless you find you need it. The setup will be there for resale.

• texborn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I just went to the Insinkerator site, and I can even get a stainless steel cover and flange, to go with my (new) stainless steel sink and polished chrome faucet. I also went down under the sink with my ruler, and it looks like my (at least 15 years old)current KitchenAid batch disposal is longer than the Insinkerator, if the dimensions on the website are correct, so the footprint won't be bigger, and maybe a little smaller...

Is Home Depot where you buy these things? That's the only place besides Lowes that shows up when I punch in my zipcode.

• katrina1
    16 years ago

A good plumber can supply you with one. There should also be plumbing supply stores that would sell you one directly and even give you some names of plumbers they use to install the products they sell.

• texborn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So what do I say to the husband, who wants to know why I should replace the disposal just because we are remodeling the kitchen? And, is the Insinkerator that I would buy at Home Depot going to be different from one I'd get at a plumbing supply place?

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

You can get them on line also - I got mine from Ira Wood - they were having a sale - check their listings for promotions.

• fairegold
    16 years ago

I got mine at HomeClick, also on sale, plus free shipping.

The ones at Home Depot and Lowe's will be the same only if the product number is exactly the same. I think ISE makes some models especially for the big box stores, but with different hp and other distinctions.

• texborn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Homeclick has a good price, but I can't wait 4-6 weeks, so will go look at Home Depot.

What happens if I don't replace the current (15 year old Kitchen Aide) disposal, and it breaks after we've renovated the kitchen? I assume it is better to replace it now, but need a better explanation than that for the guy who pays the bills.

• fairegold
    16 years ago

I got mine from HomeClick within a week.

And disposals are easy to replace. But if your old one is that old, it may not survive (old seals, gaskets) the transition to a new sink. Ours did not. But it really is an easy handy-man chore to replace a disposal.