Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgyso

Confused...difference between convection microwave vs. speed oven

kgyso
16 years ago

I have been considering the Miele speed oven and advantium 120V. Suddenly, a salesman suggests the Dacor convection microwave that is built in with a trim kit. What is the difference between these products? How do you like your Dacor convection microwave?

Comments (9)

• jcthorne
    16 years ago

In practice, not much.

Now if you were to consider the Advantium 240V models....Now you are into a whole new range of high speed cooking. The 240 is 4 times as powerful and cooks much faster with results that can be better than conventional methods.

• kgyso
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was told the Dacor functions can be separated ( convection oven only, microwave only, and 30% microwave w/ convection oven). That sounds alot like the functions of the Miele and Advantium except Advantium uses light energy too.

Does the term convection microwave mean a regular microwave w/ a fan so the cooking is slightly faster and more even. If this is the case, then food could still come out chewy?

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    16 years ago

what you need to remember is that the miele is an oven at its core and the dacor is a microwave. the miele's cooking will be much more adaptable and useful in more situations

the dacor while versatile will have some limitations on what it can do

• andee_gw
    16 years ago

Kgyso,
    I have the KitchenAid convection-microwave. The box functions as two separate entities: a microwave oven or a convection oven. The difference between the convection-MW unit and the regular convection oven is that in the convection-MW unit the heating element is at the top and is exposed -- the fan is at the back. So there is also a crisping/broiling function. The MW is not operating while in thermal mode and vice versa.

• teachmkt
    16 years ago

"Does the term convection microwave mean a regular microwave w/ a fan so the cooking is slightly faster and more even. If this is the case, then food could still come out chewy?"

We have the Sharp 930 (which as mentioned above appears to be identical to the Dacor) and along with straight just convec, there is a 30% micro power/convec and a 10% micro power/convec option. Have used both for basic roasting like chicken breasts and it has worked fine (you can tier the speeds such to cook at the higher setting to start and then step down to the 10% setting to keep food from cooking too fast). We use the mixed most for faster, more even defrosting and for heating up leftovers. One downside, the broiling setting is sort of a hoax--just runs it at a high heat setting. Overall, we like it very much.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

JCThorne: Do you have the Advantium 240V? I know you're partial to GE since you answered one of my other posts. Anyway, this is what we have been considering. Obviously, the wiring is different but I do like the idea of extra power. Anyone else have the Advantium 240V?

• appguy
    16 years ago

Miele and Viking make a true 240v Speed oven. The others as far as I know are all 120v. The difference....night and day. A 220v allows you to operate the oven and microwave simultaneously while the others cycle back and forth between the two modes.

• susrandall
    2 months ago

I know this thread is from 2007, but here I am in 2024 with the same question as the original post: what, if anything, is the difference between a “Speed Oven” and a “Convection Microwave?” Both seem to combine microwave cooking and convection cooking. Are they synonymous?