Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
makepar_gw

wife just vetoed buying a sub zero 42' refrigerator-now what

makepar
16 years ago

kitchen devotees,

my appliance guy initially nixed my kitchen layout-because i had the refrigerator next to the double ovens/because of super heat with oven cleaning and condensation/cooling on freezer side.

that being said he said some mfg's have minimum requirements for distances between between these two appliances (3"-12" ) which i can't do. though he called subzero and they said -the fridgerater could abutt the ovens.

wife then vetoed the 7k purchase on sub zero and i'm assuming the wolf ovens also.

which 42" side by side refrigerators should i try to evaluate for purchase (stainless/counter depth/ panel or built in)

am seeking mid level to upper mid level on price point

(appliances to be budgeted around 10-12k thanks for your time and attention. robert a.

Comments (19)

• heimert
    16 years ago

Look at the thermador freedom columns. Not sure about pricing, but it's going to be somewhat less (~10-15%) than subzero. To get lower than that, you're looking at Kitchenaid, which I believe makes a 42 inch SxS

• weissman
    16 years ago

You need to tell your wife: Dammit you're getting a SubZero and a Wolf and you're going to like it :-)

• heimert
    16 years ago

To sell her on it, tell her you'll do the dishes every night. By hand. Because you couldn't afford the dishwasher in the budget.

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

The Thermador built in (as opposed to the Freedom, which I'm sure are great too), is very nice. We have a 42"side by side w/ dispenser and so far, it's great.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

The non-Freedom SXS Thermador was made by KA. I'm not sure if they have changed that now or not, but I heard the guess was they would start making it themselves before long. I have the Freedom and nearly bought a KA, so I think you're good with either of those. KA also has a 42" French Door model that is nice. And keep in mind that the Thermador family of friges now include the cousins -- Bosch and Gagganau so you have options on the level of bells and whistles.

I like KA fine, but I love my Thermadors.

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

It's a new model and they weren't available until late August - it's part of the Bosch, Gagg family. I actually placed an order for a KA (so I apparently liked that as well) and then went back and ordered the Thermador and I'm glad I did.

• tamjo44
    16 years ago

Robert, I too (the wife) vetoed the 42" Subzero, but we ordered it anyway. I think my husband must know weissman. DH asked the KD, the GC and the appliance guy what they had. Darn, if they didn't all have a subzero and love it. He wouldn't even look at the KA or GE after that. I think it is insane to spend that much money on a fridge, but in the interest of marital harmony, I let it go. However, we went with the Monogram double ovens, not nearly the price of the Wolf, but with all the features we needed/wanted.

At 7K, your subzero is a bargain. Here in Ca. they run 8.2K for 42", SXS, with dispenser. Maybe you could convince your wife what a deal she'd be getting ;)

As my kitchen is under construction, I can't tell you how anything is working yet. Hopefully I can report back next month that I just LOVE the subzero and I am SO HAPPY that hubby insisted.

• chips4000
    16 years ago

I've been toying with sub zero, ka viking and thermador - finally today - i made the decision - went with the thermador columns - can't compare the insides and price difference well - when spending 8K what's 1K give or take.

• evergreendan
    16 years ago

Thermodynamics are physics, not marketting. I wouldn't put a fridge or freezer next to an oven, even if the vendor said I could. I think you're asking for early spoilage or frost-covered ice cream.

If budget is an issue, can you put a regular fridge in an extra-deep hole? You'll save at least $2K for a comparable unit.

That all said, I like my Freedom towers, mainly because of the appearance. I'm sure I would have like SZ, Leibherr, Monogram, KA, Jennair, or whatever. It's just a fridge.

I might stay away from Jade ;-)

Now, the range is worth fighting for... :-)

• User
    16 years ago

guys - makepar is looking for a less expensive alternative. Don't think 2 T'dor freedoms are gonna be cheaper. I don't know of any 42"ers on the market that are mid priced. This is a large size and usually means built in and $$$.

probably cheaper in the long run to get a new wife. :^)

• kat_ofhb
    16 years ago

^You haven't looked much- the Northland 42 is well under $6k.

• User
    16 years ago

^ unless it's 3grand or so (which it's not) I don't consider it mid priced. Maybe your and the OP's price ranges are a bit higher than mine. It is also not a widely distributed brand, at least not in the Southeast.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I paid lee than the vetoed SZ amount posted above for a 48" pair of Freedom columns. U took the question to be for something similar or less that might pleas the OPs DW more.

• User
    16 years ago

lasca - I didn't take it any way, makepar as much said it:

"vetoed 7k purchase / which 42" side by side refrigerators should i evaluate / am seeking mid level to upper mid level on price point. "

I don't think a pair of Freedoms fall into the mid price catagory even if his DW is tickled pink with them. We might also infer that space is an issue from the OP and 48" might not be possible. You should also take makepar at his word because he SPECIFICALY asked about 42" fridges. So.............1. there are still not many on the market, and 2. they don't fall into the mid price catagory. Of course there are a myriad of options on he market that might appeal to he and his wife if 42" and $$$ are not critical, but that's not what he asked.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

antss, I'm not disagreeing the first point -- just made a typo. I intended to say I read the question to be asking for same or similar, which you apparently agree with.

Thermadors columns DO fit the 42" requirement -- a 24" fridge plus an 18" freezer equals a 42" combination. In a smaller size, the price should be less than mine (48" pair with dispenser and stainless panels). I consider $6K pretty mid-priced for a full-size built-in fridge since it takes $5K to get into the market and there are certainly higher options out there.

• kat_ofhb
    16 years ago

^That was my thinking as well- $5k about in the middle. You don't start at 0$ for a refridgerator!

• whenzuc
    16 years ago

check out the 36" alternatives- in thermador freddom french door- it doesn't have much less cf than the 42" units.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

The Thermador FD is a beauty -- but the OP would have to be able to modify the plans to take a 36" fridge instead of a 42".

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Honestly, I'd let the wife go :oP

I am purchasing a 36" KA tomorrow for our rental because I'm too cheep to put a subzero in the space (it's already customized for a subZ). But for our own home, subz was the only way to go, and we paid $7k for our 36" so your price is a bargain!