Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsm42

Subzero BI-48S or alternatives?

dsm42
14 years ago

My wife and I are building a net-zero energy home for our family, and are looking for a fridge with the following qualities:

*Minimal energy usage

*Max storage size, in both freezer and fridge

*Can be 'panelized' to fit in with the decor of the kitchen

Buying separate fridge and freezer units doesn't work from an energy perspective, so we compromised by looking to find a large combined fridge/freezer. And from the Energy Star website, and from the large appliance store we visited, the lowest energy using unit with over 28 cu ft of volume is the SubZero BI-48S. We also like how it looks, and the salesperson was selling us on how it keeps food fresh longer...

But from reading this forum, I saw that there might be issues re: how much noise it makes and its reliability. So, my questions to anyone who's knowledgable:

*How much noise does the SZ BI-48S make? From how far away can you hear it?

*What's the reliability experience for those who have this unit?

*Does it really keep food fresher than other fridges?

*Is it worth the price?

*Are there any potentially better alternatives, given what we're looking for??

Thanks much for any and all help!

Dave.

Comments (6)

• User
    14 years ago

"From how far away can you hear it? "

Depends on your ears and the actual room it's installed in. They are quieter than most fridges.

"What's the reliability experience for those who have this unit?"

You're not going to get a good and accurate answer to this question. This generation of fridge is only about a year old and that unit is not very popular. SubZero is more reliable than C.Reports would have you believe.

"Does it really keep food fresher than other fridges? "

What you really mean is fresher longer , yes? And the answer is yes, but it's not the only fridge that does so. Even so, do you really want to eat lettuce that's been in your fridge for two weeks??

"*Is it worth the price? "

Depends on YOUR value system.

"Are there any potentially better alternatives, given what we're looking for??"

Jenn-Air is about the only thing that comes close if they are still using the variable speed compressor.

Are you also certain 2 separate units will use more energy than that 48". 48's are energy hogs by nature, and with a SZ you are getting 2 systems anyway, so I'd be really surprised that a separate fridge/freezer form say: T'dor, Miele, Gaggenau , wouldn't use the same or less energy, and would give you a ton more install flexability.

• dsm42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked up the other brands you mentioned, and the most energy efficient combo of a fridge and freezer w/equiv (actually, lower) volumes would use at least 28% more energy.

And it's good to hear that the SZ is quieter and more reliable than others have reported.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
    Dave.

• User
    14 years ago

The other makes will require a panel(s) to complete, and be sure to double check the install instructions before ordering cabinetry with all built in/ integrated fridges.

• canuck99
    14 years ago

Have the 48BI for 1 year. No issues or problems. If I rmember the individual Miele 30/18 add up to more power used than the Sub. The only time I hear something is when the internal fan comes on. I assume that is to recirculate the air to treat the air to reduce ethylene levels in the fridge. When the normal compressor for cooling is running you have to be beside the unit and quiet in the room to hear it.The food lasts what seems like for ever.

• dkframes
    14 years ago

We have the BI-48S and basically everything said so far is true. The water running to fill the ice maker is "pretty" loud but other than that it's quiet but not silent. I do like the air filter function. If it starts to smell - think cut onions - press a button and the smell is gone in a minute or so. Love the soft close drawers. Only wish is that ice drawer was smaller to free up more room in the freezr but this is personal since we don't normally use a lot of ice and shop at Costco a lot. BTW - I do have some lettuce that is about 3 weeks old and it taste as good as it was new - one of the main reasons we bought a Subzero.

• alnsowens_oakharbor_net
    12 years ago

Reliability, I have a SZ unit that is 28 years old and just now seem to be having parts go bad. It is a 3211RFD bought in 1983. A BI-48 look alike.