Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Was I too nit picky and how much to hold back?

lyfia
16 years ago

We are supposed to close this coming Friday so DH and I walked through the house on Sunday and made a list of things that was not still being worked on (tub/shower area is still a WIP).

I sent this by e-mail to our builder this morning, but now I'm thinking we were very picky. What do you think. We did put blue tape on areas that needed touch up and only noted large things in this list related to paint.

1. Numerous gaps in the wood floors, particularly on the short ends. These are not beveled floors and should be smooth throughout.

2. Drywall around Washer hook-up needs some fixing, holes around edges.

3. Splatter on Wall Sconce by laundry entrance

4. Gaps around bottom of FP on both sides. Looks like it needs filled with mortar

5. Crack in the mortar near mantle support on left side (facing FP)

6. Stationary French Doors are missing paint on trim inside edges

7. Splatter all over the wall with entry closet by front door.

8. Several windows have caulk around sill and corners that needs painting (dining, bedrooms)

9. Paint touch up next to columns on headers in feoli honey is needed

10. Entry ceiling by AC vent needs touch up

11. Bedroom 2 & 3 closet doors have pulls installed on the wrong end of the doors

12. Second bath needs light fixture centered between sinks. Currently off to the left (when facing)

13. Need to caulk (matched to grout) along tub and floor - mortar is cracked and really should be caulk

14. Door Bell button is broke - cover

15. Door bell works at times and others not. Wonder if it got hooked to the wrong ring and it connected to the back door ring (Had two settings)

16. Needs caulk (matched to grout) where tile meets front door

17. Sill on the front door is unfinished

18. Front door missing poly on hinge side

19. Large chip on bottom edge of corner trim on peninsula (Breakfast side)

20. Outlet cover on left side inside appliance garage is all cracked and will fall apart with first use

21. Needs caulk on sink edges around granit or water can get in under

22. Trim piece missing on the bottom of the oven

23. Upper right corner of oven (facing) cut out is too large and cabinet damage is visible

24. Fan doesn't appear to be positioned directly as it should be mounted level with the hood edge

25. Fan has loose parts inside that you can hear when turned on

26. Fan filter is all mangled on right side (facing hood)

27. Splatter on cook top

28. Glass for doors in the kitchen?

29. Large gap between 1/4 round and wood flooring along dining wall that backs up to the fridge.

30. Light is missing at entry to master - looks like a can light is supposed to go there

31. Master Bedroom back windows has gap between sill and window. Need more caulk and paint.

32. Master Bath and closet - large gaps between 1/4 round and tile - caulk and paint ?

33. Master closet - lots of touch up needed

34. Closet rods everywhere needs finish and not be raw wood

35. No exhaust fan in wet areas of master bath (reason for having a bath fan is to draw moisture out)

36. French door handle - deep scratches in the metal

37. French Door copper weather strip is flat on the sides and on bottom right edge looks like a patch job.

38. Floor against stationary french doors have a gap - threshold or trim needed

39. Outside porch post bottom trim looks unstained on a few in front and all on back porch

40. Back porch Fireplace stone has grey mortar in spots on the stone

41. AC wiring and pipes into house has a large hole for critters to enter house

42. Glass block window has overspray on the exterior

43. Cracks in mortar where trim board of laundry meets kitchen on exterior. Needs caulk

44. Garage entry door threshold is unfinished

45. Phone wire sticking out of wall on side facing pond. Is this where the phone box is going?

Also how much would you hold back for the different things if they don't get fixed before Friday?

Here is a link that might be useful: Some updated photos

Comments (14)

• allison0704
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know how much money you should hold back - we didn't have any problems - but I just wanted to say I don't think you are being picky at all. Things like "no exhaust fan in MBath" and the light fixture being off centered should have been done correctly during construction.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Allison. The light fixture is something I've pointed out before and I have an e-mail that says they will fix it.

The no exhaust fan in master bath they did put it in the toilet closet. What good does it do there for moisture. Should be where the tub and shower is. DH didn't understand what I was complaining about as he said it is where the toilet is and it is there for smells. I just said nothing to that one and wrote it on the list.

• minidonkey
    16 years ago

I also don't think you're being too nit picky. Those things would really frustrate me, especially after spending as much as it cost to build now. It also makes you wonder what they have or have not done that you can not see.

Did you go with a custom builder, a planned community or one of those that builds their master plans on your site? I ask because we are about to go with one that had about 20 homes to choose from and they will build it on your site.

• va_rosemary
    16 years ago

I also don't think you are being too picky...I wouldn't hesitate to put any of those on my list. I have no idea how much you should hold back--you'll probably have to come up with some number with your builder based on what is left to do after Friday. I'm jealous, I can't wait to make up my punch list!!!

• cheaprock
    16 years ago

I just want to add that my husband is a builder, and he would die of shame to have work that sloppy on one of his houses. He would never let mistakes/flaws like that remain uncorrected so that the buyer had to point them out three days from the close. You are not being picky at all.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks good to hear I'm not too nit picky. The builder is very good and In the defense of the builder this was not an official walk through and I'm sure he has several of these items scheduled to be taken care of this week even before our list. We have a hard time getting to the house during daylight hours so we decided to do a walk through this past weekend (he still has 5 days to finish stuff), who knows we may have to push closing up too. We were just being pro-active and wanted to get a chance to have everything fixed before closing in cased the builder would miss anything.

Just hoping we didn't offend the builder with our list as he is very contentious and I know lots of these items would be taken care of, but I'm also very detail oriented and wanted a complete list.

The house is built by a custom builder who decided to do his first spec house. We bought it after drywall was done and cabinets had already been ordered. He has a great reputation in the area and the inspector we hired confirmed it.

• luckymom23
    16 years ago

I don't think the things on your list are 'nit picky' they all seem like things that *should* be done. I do have a question about #34 though, is it usual in your area to finish the wood dowel type closet rods? Here they usually leave them unfinished, if you paint them they look awful very quickly and I have never seen them stained or clear coated except in older-'70's/'80's homes with the dark walnut trim color. Just wondering...

• kats
    16 years ago

I just scanned the list but I have to agree that these things need to be fixed. With the amount you've listed, I'd be having some words with your GC. I'm still fighting with our GC who's moved to TEXAS and we've been in for almost 3 months! I still have my kitchen island wood counter top that was stained wrong and 3 sinks that don't work right (one's not even hooked up!). But, I just got a call this morning from one of his crew that's suppose to be here at 9:30 to work on our punch. After 3 months all I can say is stay tuned.....

• chisue
    16 years ago

You should look at your contract to see what it says about when the house is 'completed'. None of the things on your list sound like they would prevent your receiving a Certificate of Occupancy -- which is when many contracts state it is 'done' and balance is due. You may not have the option of holding back anything. If your contract allows it, do not close Friday. Do not close until the repairs are done.

This is a pretty long list. I doubt the GC will be able to complete repairs by Friday. When does HE anticipate they will be done? I don't care how nice he is, almost every GC will balk at coming back once the closing is over.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

If you don't ask, you don't get.

• cheaprock
    16 years ago

Sorry, I still say a "good" builder would have been more on top of these things earlier in the game....the items on your list that refer to damage (to cabinets, trim, fan filter, etc) and miscalculations (oven opening too large, lights off center, misplaced vents, closet pulls on wrong side - which will leave holes when moved) are just plain inexcusable. He hasn't been supervising this job properly and it shows....makes me wonder what else slipped by him that you can't see. This may be a "spec" house, but in our minds, every house, spec or not, deserves a certain level of finish. Paint touchups are one thing, but some of this stuff, I shake my head...the only explanation, if he is indeed, "great" at his custom homes, is that he's been neglecting the spec house in favor of his customs. Either that or standards around there are pretty lax.

• amyks
    16 years ago

lyfia, my list is at 75 and counting. I don't think you are being too picky at all, and for the record, my gc doesn't think we are being too picky. We got our CO last week, and my gc told me we can close and release the last payment when we are happy. That in itself makes me happy, because I think having a close date like Friday would make me stress. You want everything completed, and you want to be happy. That is not picky, it's smart.

Amy

• labradoodlelady
    16 years ago

I don't think you're being too picky at all, and I agree completely with cheaprock that it sounds like a pretty sloppy job. It sounds like the painters and finish carpenters skipped a lot of things they hoped you might not notice, but that your contractor should have seen before now. If you are supposed to be closing on Friday, most of that should be done by now and the cleaners in to get ride of all that spatter left everywhere (you didn't say if it's paint or something else?).

I had to sign a letter to my lender stating all the work was completed before they released the final payment to him. It was a good bargaining tool.
    Summer

• lyfia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well doesn't look like holding back is an option so if a few things we care about we may have to push closing up. I'm still waiting on a response from the builder. Usually I have an instant response so my guess is that he is looking into things to give us an idea. It is possible closing could be pushed up no matter what too.

I'm not sure if sloppy is it either, but rather us visiting sooner than expected for a walk through. Actually there are several items on the list that I would expect the builder to want to collect together such as wanting the painter to come out only once so I can understand waiting and piling some items up. Same with electrical items, flooring people to finish and fix their screw-ups.

I have no idea what the splatter is, but my guess is paint. It is white so seems like a reasonable thing. Could be drywall mud too at least in kitchen from patching drywall after granite install.

The things that concerns me as far as closing are:
    1, 12, 23, maybe 24-26 and possibly the exhaust fan. The reason for the first ones are the disruption to us especially if they are ripping the floor up to fix and having the light moved will create a mess. Same if they have to pull out the oven cabinet. My DH lifted the oven up some so it is possible if the bottom vent of the oven is large enough they can shim it up a little to cover the cut. The hood vent would be an issue if we'd be cooking immediately which we won't due to not fully moving in for a few weeks. Exhaust fan in bath by wet areas I'm not sure if we have a case or not as there is no code requiring one, but I put it on there anyways.

We changed the appliances from Stainless to black and I was told I had to get the same oven except the color due to the cut already being done for that particular oven from the cabinet maker. I'm thinking somebody did a bobo messing up on the installation of the oven and why it is missing some of the pieces that attaches to it. Builder may already be on top of this one and hence install isn't finished.

As for the trim guys, I don't think they are the ones that chipped the corner trim. I think it was the wood flooring installers when they installed the quarter round. I have a photo of that corner (just by chance) and it didn't have the corner chipped in the photo before the floors. Floors were just done last week so still possible builder knows about it and just trying to get them back to fix and finish. Seems the real sloppy ones so far are the wood flooring installers since there are several items related to them.

The closet rods - I've never lived somewhere where they were not poly'd at least. I agree on paint, but so easy to get splinters without some kind of finish. That one is the least of my worries though and if it is common in other areas that may be so here too. We are 90 miles away from where we currently live so ...