Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmjmommy

mirror in master bath ?

jmjmommy
15 years ago

Our master bath will have a double bowl and a vaniety area. The builder said they normally have one big mirror there. What do you think? I've seen 3 - I think that looks good. I'd love to see pictures.

Comments (10)

• oruboris
    15 years ago

20 years ago, maybe.

Side light is much more flattering than overhead. You *can* do side lights with a single big mirror, but it's a lot easier to do with separate mirrors.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

The set-up I liked best had a large mirror centered with slightly narrower ones to each side. The narrow ones were hinged and could be adjusted to convenient angles.

Seriously, for what is the mirror going to be used? There is a difference between the light quality and requirements for a shave or face wash, and what is needed for a skillful makeup application.

• chisue
    15 years ago

The wall-to-wall mirror with sconces is good if you need to make a small space look larger. We did that when we remodeled baths in a condo.

I like having things within arm's reach, not under a vanity countertop. We used extra-deep recessed medicine cabinets over each sink. Our carpenter made the boxes; mirrored the backs; put elec. inside. The front is a framed mirror. You'd never know there are medicine cabinets behind the mirrors as they are flush with the wall. There are wall sconces on each side.

For a sit-down vanity, I'd want something like a lighted mirror set on the countertop; the wall mirror and lights are too far away. (Maybe just because I'm near-sighted!)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

e-mail me and I'll show you my set up on lights that are on the side as oruboris talks about.

• neesie
    15 years ago

I am currently living in a 20 year old home with "one big mirror" in each of the bathrooms. I really don't like them. My cousin has a venetian mirror in her power room that I think it to die for. (You can see the reflection of a small chandellier in it, too!) I'm posting a link to it so you can see for yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: venetian mirror

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

I have the one big mirror in both bathrooms. I ordered frames from www.mirrormate.com

I ordered samples for a small charge first so I could see the actual frame material in the bathrooms. I did the one mirror first. The frame was very easy to put together and hang, but you do need two people to hang it. I liked the first one so much I ordered one for the other bathroom. I did do two different styles in the two bathrooms.

They make a huge difference and there have been no problems with them at all.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

we have a 10' wall that will house our double sink vanity. we're going to have a floor to ceiling glass-fronted cabinet separating the two basins, so i'm using two of these VERY gorgeous mirrors from restoration, and a wall sconce on each side of the mirrors (four sconces total). i think you need to really make an effort to make it unique if it's going to be a single mirror otherwise it can look builder's grade. i'd always rather have two individual mirrors, but if it's one you want can you frame it?

Here is a link that might be useful: standing version of my mirror that i LOVE

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

we have a 10' wall that will house our double sink vanity. we're going to have a floor to ceiling glass-fronted cabinet separating the two basins, so i'm using two of these VERY gorgeous mirrors from restoration, and a wall sconce on each side of the mirrors (four sconces total). i think you need to really make an effort to make it unique if it's going to be a single mirror otherwise it can look builder's grade. i'd always rather have two individual mirrors, but if it's one you want can you frame it?

Here is a link that might be useful: standing version of my mirror that i LOVE

• kemptoncourt
    15 years ago

We did it both ways in ours. We have dual sinks/vanities in the master but it's cut up with angles....we did a long length across all the angles to "continue" the vanity through the whole run. Upstairs we did two separate framed mirrors above the sink basins. More of a spa feel upstairs. Still have over head lighting but it provides a symetry that a single run of mirror cannot.

• egrigby
    15 years ago

In our last house, we had the huge wall sized mirrors, with the strip lighting above. I hated the lighting and the mirrors.

In this house we wanted single mirrors over each sink on the double vanity. We went with restoration hardware mirrors also.

Our other purpose is that our entire house is handicapped accessible. So we wanted "designer" mirrors that would also be accessible. These mirrors mount like a rear view dashboard mirror in a car and pivot in any direction, and tilt any way needed.

We have them mounted sideways. They come in two sizes, and we have the smaller size in the powder room and hall bath, and the larger size over each sink in the master.

It matches the style of our house better witch is a mix of modern and retro.

Laney

Here is a link that might be useful: restoration hardware mirror