Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdinmia

Need some help on choosing a built in deep fryer

CDinMIA
13 years ago

I am new to the forum and have searched but have not found much information on the appliance that I need to purchase for my dream kitchen.

I will be installing a 48" wolf range top with 4 burners and a French cooktop, I would like to also install a built in deep fryer to left of this in my 96" island which will have a custom hood that will cover it completely with at least 1200cfm of exhaust air ventilation.

I have come down to two manufacturers Gaggenau and Wolf to supply this built in fryer that will be used weekly but not daily for some of the items I plan to make, I use my kitchen heavily and will be installing a number of appliances for my needs ie immersion circulator, plancha, vacuum sealer, steam oven, Berkel X13 slicing machine, under counter refridgerators etc.

Advice and input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Try emailing trailrunner via this (or kitchen) forum. She has a built-in deep fryer and is thrilled with it as far as I know. I do know they use theirs all the time. I don't know which brand they have, but she will be more than glad to provide details if you ask her.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Trailrunner's is Miele. I know that that what impressed me in her description was something about a place where little bits that fall off sink to, and something about where the colder oil goes. I know that's vague, but, as I said, it was impressive. :) She's the only one I know who has a fryer. I don't know about choosing between Wolf and Gaggenau other than both are excellent at the other things they offer. ;)

I have the vacuum sealer (a new purchase), steam oven (Gagg), and under counter fridge drawers. I gather you're using your vacuum sealer for sous vide. Mine is mostly for freezing. There might be some point in choosing a sealer that is made by the same company as your circulator to make sure that the seal is correct.

You might benefit from posting your plans in the Kitchens forum for the very clever people to help with. My first impression is that it would be great to have a cabinet, with or without doors, with outlets, and heavy duty rollouts for the slicer, sealer, circulator, et al. It would make it so much easier to use, and to compact that way. That is...if the circulator is manual drain. If it's plumbed, you probably want it in the vicinity of the steam oven to keep the plumbing sane.

You say "dream kitchen", so I'll ask the tough question: Have you used a French top regularly? Or a plancha? I'm not sure you really need both for home cooking. I was all set to buy the Gaggenau teppan yaki (oh, pitter pat!) but decided I wanted the cabinet space underneath more, and they'd just raised the price, so I gave it a pass.

When I started out, I was convinced I wanted a French top, but there were some pros here who were talking about how they were moving away from those and using vacuum bottles to hold sauces and such like. That actually made a lot more sense to me than having uneven heat in the pans and all of that. Plus, the amount of energy and time that it takes to heat up the French top wasn't worth it. That's where I segued into the teppen yaki, then decided I really wanted to cook on induction and changed my plan to half induction, half gas, no specialty units. I have no trouble using a cast iron plate for anything I'd have been using the teppan yaki or a plancha for, and the excellent temperature control of the Gaggenau induction and Wolf gas handles anything I would have done on the French Top. Much less romance, lots of utility.

Just offering my experience as a check. If you have the space and want the romance, by all means go for it!

I LOVE my fridge drawers. They're the one don't really need it toy I just had to have. I had wanted fridge drawers in my prep area since I first saw some. Mine are Marvel. The best feature is the depth of the bottom drawer, which holds standing opened wine bottles. I also had the sense that they had more usable space than the other 24" units I'd seen. The worst feature is that they're loud when they cycle. Not a bother when the rest of the kitchen is running, but a bit shocking if one is sitting quietly.

I also adore the Gaggenau combi-steam. I hate blanching and steaming the old fashioned way. Just tossing them in, and being able to check progress and pop them back and all of it is just wonderful. The regenerate setting is amazing. You put in a plate of cold leftovers all made up, and it comes out with everything warm, and nothing overcooked, shriveled, or petrified. I mostly use it for steaming vegetables and as a secondary oven when I'm making several mains, but my kitchen isn't completely finished, so I haven't gotten into a lot of experimenting, yet.

• User
    13 years ago

Funny I am a CD also. I do have the Miele builtin deep fat fryer. We have used it a lot in the 4 1/2 yrs we have had it. It works perfectly every time. Heats quickly, reheats quickly after adding food. Has the " cold zone" that plllog referred to. All bits go beneath the heating element and therefore never burn. We store the oil in the fryer and have had no problem with it becoming rancid. I do replace it after we use it for seafood...I try to do the seafood when we are getting close to replacing the oil anyway. Also very very easy to clean. We have a cab under it with 2 pull out shelves and that is where I store my heavy iron skillets and the fry basket. Makes opening the drain very easy and you just place a large plastic bucket under the drain and open and all done in minutes.

I have many pics on my photobucket link...fod pics. We have a 1400 cfm over our whole cooking area. We have a 36" Caldera gas cooktop and then 12" rest area and the fryer. I have 54" total cooking area and went with the 54" Tradewind liner with remote roof mounted blower. We have been very happy with how it performs . We never need to use it on high and have no HOGS in our home/kitchen.

Any questions I can answer for you please let me know. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele fryer slideshow

• CDinMIA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pllog:

Thanks for the idea on posting the plans on the kitchen forum for some input, I have my architect who consulted with a professional kitchen design firm in NYC after ascertaining "what kind of cook" I am for advise on placement and utilization. I have a local MIA based kitchen design firm assisting with cabinets and other items so a second or third set of eyes is a good idea.

I am having open shelves under the range top for my main pans etc for use there and on the flip side by my sous vide station (immersion circulator and Gaggenau Tepan Yaki (plancha with downdraft).

The MVS 31X vacuum sealer is primarily for sous vide and food preservation and works great have been using it prior to the remodel, crazy what you can do with one of these and some creativity.

The sealer and slicer are large so I have not been able to find a way to have them really well hidden outside of location in the kitchen.

I just removed and sold the Wolf 36" with FT and 2 burners so know it well, and love using it for holding sauces (true simmer) to saute. The Teppan Yaki/plancha will have a very separate use in my kitchen, I looked at commercial planchas and they have a very nice feature of a drip tray but their size and usually not being built in create problems with my station design.

I had planned on SZ under counter drawers one to the right of my Wolf Range top and one under my 40" X 40" prep island with champagne sink both for prep work or food ready for use at the range top or steam oven.

Thanks for thoughts and uses on the Gaggenau steam oven.

Trailrunner:
    Another CD, nice.

Did you research any other built in fryer vs the Miele? I will have two la perla series DW in this kitchen (left and right of sink) and did consider their teppan yaki as well.

• User
    13 years ago

I did look at the others. At the time Gagg had 2 sizes that they offered. I have not looked recently. One of the Gagg's was 15" wide and the other was 12" wide. I liked the description of the Miele better and the price. I have not looked at the Wolf and there were no other brands at the time I bought mine, 4 1/2 yrs ago.

Do you do catering or teach classes that you have a need for so many cool appliances ? Just curious as to the use you put them to. My DS1 and DIL are both career chefs and I am always amazed at the fantastic food they put out for folks with VERY little in the way of appliances/extras. Their current kitchen has one large french top and one oven and a counter top broiler and that is it. They do 4-6 course dinners for 30-60 every night. It is all in the prep :)

Good luck and will look forward to pics. c

• plllog
    13 years ago

Ah! Given all your experience I won't worry about you. :)

I hint I learned when I was looking at the Gaggenau teppan yaki--at the distributor, where they give classes, they keep lemons around, and use half of one to rub down the teppan yaki after cooking. Makes it easy to clean, and keeps it looking sparkly good. The Gaggenau does make more sense than a full sized plancha. And still fun. :)

That's what you plan sounds like to me--fun! Is there any way you can get the teppan yaki under one of the hoods, though? If you're using it for meat, it seems a natural.

• CDinMIA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trailrunner,
    I work on some very specific techniques mostly French and travel a fair amount to expand my culinary skills. Granted all of the appliances are probably not necessary but I look forward to using them for my personal entertainment and hopefully guests enjoyment.

My outdoor kitchen includes a smoker and the new woodburning over should be arriving in teh next couple of weeks.

I agree prep is the key for a vast majority of dishes.

Pllog:
    Great trick for the Teppan Yaki, sounds similar to deglazing just using an acid vs. alcohol or other liquid. I use the other half of lemmons in my garbage disposal as well for a less glamorous but useful result.

I don't have room to put this under the main island hood, hence the Gaggenau downdraft vent, hopefully they are correct in their estimation that it will do the job. Since it is a station (immerision circulator/plancha) i don't have another good location for it especially since this is at a bar with 4 guest seats when I am entertaining.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh. I was kind of hoping it could at least go with the fryer. Are you using the telescoping one, or the trim downdraft? One thing to remember is that a lot of European products are made and sold on the better than nothing basis. A lot of old European flats, and even houses, have no way to vent. A downdraft is better than nothing. I wouldn't want it for the teppan yaki any more than for the fryer, especially since you're using it as a plancha. I'm probably oversensitive to odors (let alone the cleaning one must do given aerosolized fat particulates). Maybe the escaping steam and smells are just what you want for your entertaining.

BTW, just the rind of a lemon will freshen your disposer, so you can use a half to clean down, and still freshen up. :)

• PhDude
    13 years ago

I would like to include a built-in deep fryer in my new kitchen but I am concerned that the heat will discolor or crack Caesarstone Quartz Countertop. Also, I am not sure how hot the fryer body gets inside the cabinet. I do not want to burn down my new kitchen after working this hard to see it all come together. My countertop vendor doesn't seem to think it is a problem and customer service as Caesarstone was completely useless. Any thoughts?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Do you know which brand you want? You can go check out Miele if there's a Miele gallery somewhere near you, or that you can get to. The help there don't necessarily know everything about the appliances, but I think there was quartz at the one here--if they have that, you could see how it is IRL. Also, you can find the 800 number for Miele tech help on their website. They might be able to help there.

For Gaggenau try the distributor. In California, it's Purcell-Murray. They know a lot and are very helpful.

For Wolf, get in touch with Wolf directly.

If you're very concerned, you can always make a section of counter around the fryer out of stainless steel.

I wouldn't worry about burning down the kitchen. If you install and operate according to the instructions, you'll be using a device that was designed to be used in a residential kitchen, with all of the safety design that the insurance companies and desire not to be sued can pile on top of general pride of workmanship.