Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hull_o

Thermador or Wolf propane gas range top?

hull-o
15 years ago

We are remodeling a 25+ year old kitchen. The trips to the appliance stores are overwhelming - information overload. I feel a bit like a kid in a candy shop. I am also new to Garden Web and have read many forums with lots of opinions and advice. I know I want a gas range top that is reliable, easy to use and clean and offers power as well as a good simmer. I think I have narrowed my choice between Thermador and Wolf. Any advice from Thermador or Wolf users would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

HULL-O

Comments (7)

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Thermador's burners' simmer setting makes a clicking noise. Some people on this Forum say it's not a big deal, and others on this Forum find it annoying. Just one more thing to consider.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Oh, DUH. You are definitely using propane, since you said so in your post title! Sorry. Then I would definitely go with a manufacturer that builds the appliance especially for propane without BTU loss. That would include Wolf, Capital, BlueStar, Monogram, and I assume, DCS, since I think they make the Monogram rangetops. There may be more, since Monograms weren't that way when I was looking, but have changed. Maybe it's not as important to others, but I feel a rangetop that has to be converted and loses power in the process, may not work as well or easily as one designed for the fuel I'm using.

• hull-o
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rhome410 - Thank you for the information regarding propane ranges. I didn't realize that certain brands made propane ready ranges while others need to be converted. I am looking at the Wolf open burner model. How do you clean the black underpans? And do you know about the low simmer temperature? Thanks again for your advice!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

For burned on food and grease on the black underpans we use Dawn Power Dissolver, as recommended by someone here. Fume free oven cleaner also works, but I only tried that once, before I found the Dawn. Be prepared that they will almost always look spattered and any crumbs or smears will show when you're up close to the stove. Others here say theirs look like new, but others, like me, never can get them perfectly clean after the first few uses. We have an 8-burner rangetop, so it's hard to keep up with. If we had fewer burners, I might be motivated to take it apart and clean the whole thing more often. The spottiness is just something you have to decide to live with...Kind of like scratches on our stainless counters.

After dealing with the black underpans and the cast iron grates, I could see why BlueStar's all cast-iron rangetops were popular. The greasy spots on cast iron kind of soak in and it develops a patina that isn't unattractive.

This is a closeup of my black pans when clean.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

I have no first hand experience with Thermador but have only good things to say about my Wolf ownership experience. Great product. We have Bluestar now and love it even more (mainly the high BTU performance).

• hull-o
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rhome - Thank you for sharing your underpan photo. Although I am a neat freak but truly a cook, I understand nothing is perfect. I suppose Better Homes & Gardens will not be coming to photograph my kitchen with a close-up lens anytime soon.
    Still waiting to hear from any Thermador range (or range top) owners/users.
    Thank you again for all your advice.