Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Can we talk about Words With Friends for a minute?

bestyears
12 years ago

So I got a Nook Tablet for Christmas, which was a fantastic, wonderful surprise. One of the things I'm really enjoying is Words With Friends. I usually have about 4 or 5 games going with friends. I found out that there are quite a few cheater sites out there. Doesn't interest me because I just don't see the point of playing if you are going to have the computer figure it out for you. A couple of times, people who I've played openly admit that they had to cheat to get a certain word. Chafes me a little bit, but I can deal with it. But one woman I play with cheats at every single turn -she uses the site where you plug in the board and your letters and it finds the best play for you. Now that REALLY chafes me! (I was suspicious, and a mutual friend who knows her better told me that T. uses that site). So in this last game we are playing I decided to use it too, hoping I could kind of shame her into not doing it anymore... that doesn't seem to be working. I really don't want to play her anymore, because as I said, what's the point? Any suggestions/ideas?

Comments (18)

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I have a nook, but I don't do games so I'm not familiar with this. I'd follow your own thoughts - you don't want to play with her anymore because what is the point??? I agree! If she asks why you don't want to play - I'd just tell her.

tina

• Jody
    12 years ago

I have been enjoying this game too (have always LOVED Scrabble) .... and I didn't even know about these *cheating* sites ..... I do love, however, the way you can TRY to make a word, as many times as you like, and you are not penalized for it.

If this is a friend of yours, you could talk to her and tell her she is really not getting full enjoyment of the game if she can't do the thinking on her own. What fun is that???

To be honest, I would NOT want to play with these people .... they are truly not doing themselves any favors. You might as well set it on *automatic* and let the IPads/Iphones duke it out themselves!!!

jody

• dedtired
    12 years ago

My son is hooked on that game. It's funny to me because I have always been the word game junkie in the family. The closest he comes to cheating is to hand his ipod to me and ask if I see any good moves. Of course, then I take over the entire game because I can't resist.

It's only a dumb game. Just don't play with her any more. I don't understand how having a cheater site do the work for you would be any fun in any way. "It doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game".

Hee, hee. Maybe you can send that quote to her in the middle of the next game.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I agree, simply tell her the truth that it's no fun playing with someone who uses a cheat sheet.

I'm addicted to Angry Birds. After not getting out of level 2 for two weeks (3 stages to a level) I finally had to look online for tips. Now that I know them, boy, I am having a blast! However, the game is still hard, and I'm stuck on another level for the past 24 hours! lol

• bestyears
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jody -I love that comment -let the devices duke it out themselves, too funny!

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

I guess your response depends on her personality and how important this issue is for you. Assuming that it's relatively minor to you, I would continue to play with her, but I would play very slowly. I think you can take up to two weeks for each play. Maybe she will get frustrated and decided she doesn't want to play with you any longer.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I would take the passive-aggressive approach and just stop playing with her. I would tell her the truth about why I stopped only if she asked.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

I currently have 12 games of Words With Friends going. One friend uses a cheat site, she admitted it. We chat back and forth when she plays a word that I KNOW she got 'help' with.

I use my games with her as a learning tool for my games with others. remembering a played word by a cheater isn't actually cheating, is it?

Btw/ I still beat her more often then she beats me....placement is everything.

• geogirl1
    12 years ago

I am an avid Scrabble player on Facebook. Love it. Like you, I have 4 to 5 games going at any given time. I think this is a relative view point. Traditionally, Scrabble is about vocabulary and tile placement. If you use the "word finders" then the game becomes more heavily weighted to the tile placement strategy. It is almost a different game. It really depends what you and the person you are playing enjoy. Everyone knows an "x" can be worth 8 points if played "straight up" or it can be worth 48 points if played on a triple in two directions. So, I would say that people who grew up playing table scrabble consider using those finder sites as cheating and they assign very negative feelings toward people who use them. Same feelings for those who use 2 and 3 word sites or lists. Others, however, play that way openly and still enjoy the game tremendously.

Personally, I use the sites on occasion when I know there is something there that I just can't "see". I don't use words that I don't know though. When I don't know a word, I look it up and try to use it another time in a different game, because then the word is "mine". So hate away you traditionalists, but I am happy playing my way and the people I play with are fine too! :)

• bestyears
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I need to clarify.... a word finder cheat site is not what this woman uses. The others who I play, who admit to cheating a bit, use those, and I'm pretty much okay with that. The one this woman uses actually asks you to enter the words played onto a board on that site and your letters, and then it tells you WHAT and WHERE to play it.

• maddielee
    12 years ago

Since she uses a placement site (I didn't know that was possible), it would be like playing 'Norm1' in Scrabble.

You playing aganist the computer.

I would still try to outwit her...consider it practice.

ML

• geogirl1
    12 years ago

oh. What's the point then? I'd say that this particular woman has a self esteem issue. I'd just drop her a note at the end of your next game and say you've become addicted and need to limit yourself on the amount you play and that you have enjoyed your games but need to stop now and spend more time with her IRL. Of course, it is up to you whether you answer her calls to go out!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Personally, I use the sites on occasion when I know there is something there that I just can't "see". I don't use words that I don't know though.

I do that also, but only when I'm playing against strangers, not my friends. (I actually play a different scrabble game called WordFeud against strangers)

I have seen the sites where it "reads" your board and will come up with the highest possible point score. That is just not fun, because the computer is doing ALL the work.

If I knew someone was playing that way I would just decline their offers to play.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I enjoy WWF, but I only started playing at Thanksgiving when a niece introduced me to the game. I do find it interesting when folks use those words that only players of word games would know. My mom has been a crossword puzzle fan for as long as I have been alive, so I know she has the vocab at hand. But others might not. I would not enjoy playing someone who had the machine do all the work.

I think geogirl has come up with a graceful way out.

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

Geogirl, nicely played!

• bestyears
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Geogirl, I think you nailed it! Thanks!

• User
    12 years ago

Haven't read the responses because this is an easy one for me. Just be honest and don't him or haw over it. Tell her you don't want to play with her because she uses the sites and you feel that is cheating. If she makes up some excuse, then you know you made the right decision, if she claims she didn't know it was cheating (cause it can be a matter of perspective) and she'll stop using it, then maybe you can give her one more chance.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Different scenario, but same desired outcome-- I had way too many of these games going. I had too much actual work to do . . .so I just stopped playing. I didn't do it intentionally, but so much time would lapse that I stopped playing. No one really cared.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida