Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_brown_gw

dcs ag 30-inch range oven temperature

karen_brown
16 years ago

I have been reading the posts for the past few months about gas ranges. I am seriously considering the DCS AG range.

I have a couple of questions that I hope that someone with the DCS AG can answer. I like to proof my breads in the oven and am wondering what the lowest setting for the oven is. I also on occasion keep food warm in the oven.

My rough in for the gas is on the left side of the opening between the cabinets (close to the floor). Their literature shows the desired location as being on the right. Can anyone with the DCS recall whether there is a reason why it could not connect on the left since the gas lines are flexible to the range?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• pggirl
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We just got a DCS AG 36" and have been using it for about a month or so now. Love it so far. Not done any bread proofing or kept things warm in the oven yet, but I'll check what the lowest setting is for you today.

Our gas line and electric is swapped left to right also. The way our 36 is on the back there is a channel all the way across the bottom for clearance. Above that channel it is a solid panel.

Online you can go to the DCS site and see the measurements of where the gas and electric need to be within for the range to hook up in the specs section (shaded areas on the picture). Our gas bib came out of the wall within the area shown for the electrical so no problem there as there was room. We moved the 110 outlet on our install so that it aligned with the shaded area shown for the gas. If your bib and/or electric do not fall within the shaded areas (especially if they are higher) then the range may not fit in flush.

When our installer came out to put the range in he hooked the flex pipe to the gas bib shut off valve and then to the bib on the range. The bib on the range comes straight out the back and is 3/4 if memory serves. This caused wall interference with the hose sticking straight out from the range back and having to bend sharply to try and get the range to fit to the wall. This caused the range to stick out an inch and a half to two inches from memory. We got a 90 degree gas pipe fitting from the local diy store and he fitted that to the back of the range, hooked the hose to it and it now fits flush back nice. I'd recommend picking one up or having the installer get the right size before they come out as did not come with the range (only a couple of bucks if that at HD/Lowes). That way you don't run into the potential issue of the hose hitting the wall.

Hope that helps! House is still asleep, but as soon as they are up I'll check the oven temp for you.
    Cheers

• weissman
    16 years ago

I looked at my DCS range last night - the oven has a "WARM" setting below the marking for 200. It looks like the WARM setting is at about 170. There's more dial between that and OFF but I don't know if you can set the oven below that. I'd call DCS technical support and ask them.

By the way, are you by any chance the Karen Brown who lives in Bedford, MA?

• pggirl
    16 years ago

Weissman beat me to it! Ours is the same. Lowest hash marked numbered setting for the oven is 200, but a distance below that is a mark labeled "warm". Looking in the instructions it mentions thawing food wrapped in foil using this setting. Also mentions setting to 170 degrees to do some things. I would imagine that weissman is correct in that the Warm setting is probably around that then. Might call DCS today just to see as interested now.
    Cheers

• karen_brown
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pggirl, Thanks so much for the detailed reply and the advise concerning the fitting. You are so nice to do that for me and I really appreciate it. If you do call the company, I would appreciate your sharing the info here on the board.

Weissman, Than you, also. I have been readying your posts for a while now and gotten some good information from them. No, I am not from MA. I live in Central Michigan. We have about a foot of snow on the ground now.

170 degrees will be great for warming plates and keeping things at a safe temperature for serving. I would not decide AGAINST the range just because the temp did not go down to 100; it would just be a plus for me if it did. I have, on occasion, just used the lightbulb in the oven to keep the bread cozy.

I have had two Jenn-Air's (electric) and can say that The only thing I liked about them was that the temperature goes down very low. I did not have an overhead hood, therefore I settled for that range twice!! Had to replace electronics in each range after about five years, very costly. Painted surfaces on the top scratched. If I did use the downdraft vent fan, it just sucked the heat away from the burner so that you could never have a searing temperature--maybe just a medium heat. Great for eliminating smoke if I could have had more heat on the burners. The drip pans rust. Never again; we are building a new home with gas available and I am so excited about getting the DCS.

Happy Holidays to you both.

• pggirl
    16 years ago

Okay, didn't call DCS, but did use the brand new thermom in the oven today. The light above the temperature knob did not click on until I turned the oven to the first degree mark. The first degree mark is 200. I was doing the dishes and did not look at the time so could not tell you how long it took to heat to 200 (sorry), but when I did check it, with the thermom hanging off the top rack right in front by the door glass, the temp was bang on 200.

So, turned it down to warm. Did some more stuff and came back to find the temp sitting on 170 degrees on the button. So, at least for ours, I will say that warm is 170.

So, on to the higher temp test.

I left the thermom hanging off of the top rack right off the front so it was closest to the door glass. Turned the oven up to 400 and went back to doing stuff in the kitchen.

When I went back to it the oven temp light had probably cycled a few times and was sitting on ready. Temp in the oven was about 325. Conclusion, like quite a few other ovens we've had, the temp probe cycles to ready before it actually is. Probably due to placement of the probe in relation to heat source.

I finally looked at the clock. I checked back after 32 minutes. The temp was at 385 and held steady there through quite a few cycles. So I moved the thermom to the centre of the middle rack and came in and started typing this. Just went and checked it and it is still sitting dead on 385. Nice to know, even if reading low to the knob setting, that the oven holds a consistent temperature.

Conclusion then, for me at least again, that the oven is off about 15 degrees low at higher temp.

I guess I could call out service on this to see if they can adjust it in some way. I do remember something in the manual saying the ranges were factory tested for oven temp and were non-adjustable. Really, I'm not that bothered. I don't have a problem popping and extra 10 degrees on or so if needed. Not cooked a lot in the oven as yet so may find that I can just set it at the regular temp and never have a problem. Might work out better, who knows.

Not sure if it would have any bearing, but we do live at about 5,500 feet above sea level. I did find when we moved here from about 9 feet above sea level that I had to adjust temperatures/times etc. to get things to cook right.

As a note, our brand new wall oven does have an adjustment on it. When we did the test on it the oven was about 25 degrees low.

So, for those searching DCS and not finding much like we did.....

Are we still happy with our DCS? YES, love it. Like any new purchase of anything (kitchen stuff, cars, tellys, etc.), knock on wood no problems with it.

Don't have a problem if I need to do a little adjustment on oven temp if needed when cooking. As noted, does take a while to heat that big a cavity on the 36", but we will mainly be using it for big meals and most things will be cooked in our new 30" wall oven. Apart from that, I can pop the oven on and take care of other prep and things on the range top during the heating process so not really an issue for us.

Love the looks. More I look at it and use it the more I like the sealed burners, the way it looks and the way it works in general. Our own preference of course. Thought we HAD to have the open burners for that pro look when we were shopping, but now I think it is down to what you like the look of and what work you are prepared to do to keep things clean etc. Both probably have advantages and disadvantages.

Hope that helps. Happy Holidays to you also. Cheers

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

FWIW - I was baking today on my older model DCS AG (the last model prior to the switch to sealed burners) & remembered to look at the oven knob. There is no 'warm', but instead, it goes down to 150 degrees.

• karen_brown
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pggirl: Thanks for spending the time to check the temp on the oven. I know you must be just as busy as everyone else this time of year. It sounds like the interior temp is consistent and that is the most important. It would not bother me either to pop the temp up a few degrees, if need be. Its all in getting to know your particular oven. Thanks again. I am sure your reply will be of help to others.

• pggirl
    16 years ago

No problem. Something I do with all new ovens and have been needing to do on this one.

Should mention that the wall oven we have is not a DCS just to be clear.

Also, was reading another thread and they mentioned that you could pull the oven knob off and in the shaft of the knob under some sort of putty is a screw that can be adjusted to change the oven temp by the knob. This may be just for the older DCS and not the one with the new two tone knobs on it. Not pulled ours off to see if there is anything there. For as little, relatively, as our oven is off not sure if I'll muck with it. Now I know where I am with it as I mentioned I can just pop an extra 10 on the knob if needed.

Cheers