Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springtimehomes_gw

I need design help too please.. Simple cabin floorplans/elevation

SpringtimeHomes
12 years ago

This project is for a tight budget and steep north facing slope. My favorite! The future owner sketched these out and I really cant find too much room for improvement other than dressing up the front porch with fancier trim, thinking natural log posts and small timber frame accents to go with the real rock they are planning.

Dont have a north elevation yet but it will be prominent as you have to drive by it from below to get to the East entrance. Not sure about budget, but tempted to do overhangs for the walkout basement windows perhaps in a rustic or timber frame style as well. Iam not very fond of the window muntins and the proportions dont seem quite right. ALL comments welcome and appreciated!

The stairs and lower bath shower will need more room but other than that anything else?

Comments (8)

• SpringtimeHomes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dang. Pics worked in the test forum.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    12 years ago

What are the materials? Where is it located? What is the climate?

It's a good idea to avoid entering under the low side of an entry roof.

I would raise the roof pitch so a future loft would be possible.

If there is a basement space will there be an internal stair? Why not bring the framing down and lower the foundation on the low side?

You will need to add a roof cricket at the chimney or turn the roof 90 degrees.

What kind of windows? What are the odd looking window headers?

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Agree about raising the roof pitch and definitely agree about lowering the foundation where the land is low to standard foundation height - the way it is drawn is not attractive to me.

I would change the window style in the basement to match the rest of the windows and agree the headers look strange but they may not be drawn accurately.

• SpringtimeHomes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys, good advice as always. Its Asheville NC climate zone 4. Interesting idea about raising the pitch. I think we would want to stick with trusses for the budget and Iam not sure we would end up with too much usable space up there but I agree theres some potential and it could help the appearance.

Renovator, you are saying that its no good to enter underneath the rake end of the shed roof? Not sure what you guys mean by the foundation height, its dictated by the walkout level of the site...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

It shows stone or foundation material very high on one side of the front door, giving the front a very awkward appearance . . . you can either do the foundation covering the basement level or do siding on the basement level. I don't care for a foundation half way up the house so that is why I made that suggestion.

• User
    12 years ago

If you enter under the eave you will need a gutter.

I can't imagine that trusses would save any money since the rafters would be small and perhaps you would only need wall ties every 4 ft. so not only would rafters be easier to build, they would allow a cathedral ceiling.

Odd plan. Don't let your client design the building no matter how small it is.

• SpringtimeHomes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha! I actually did originally refer him to an Architect. Result: Beautiful home nearly 3x over budget and a year of lost time. I will run the final design though our rater/design team but think he's done a good job overall considering the variables. Iam tempted to raise the pitch but the drawing doesnt show the 12" raised heel which should help the squat appearance.

I agree Athens and will pass along the suggestion. I know they are committed to using stone for the fireplace and column bases so tying them together seems like a good idea but think youre right about it throwing things off-balance.

• User
    12 years ago

If you think the current design is good, I guess I cant help you, but then I don't know what the variable you are talking about.