Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arleneb

Who built in your walk in closets?

arleneb
15 years ago

Did you have a "business" plan and / or install your closets? We're going to have three companies quote on our walk-ins and pantry, and wonder if you have any recommendations. I think I pretty much know what I want -- just need some layout tweaking. I need someone versatile enough to do a vanity. We'd like to do the installation ourselves, with the help of our finish carpenter.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

it's been my experience the closet companies are much more expensive than a carpenter. our cabinet maker will do our closets for a fraction of the price of the "pro organizers".

that is, once he finishes my kitchen, mud room, bathroom vanities and laundry room...

we used california closets in our last house. very restrictive as far as design goes. they have pre made boxes so very hard to customize. and i could shoot myself for what i paid them.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

The ones I like best have always been made by a carpenter. One thing I learned was that ADJUSTABLE is worth its weight in gold. Over the years, needs and possessions change, and it's great to be able to change the spacing to suit.

The last carpenter just grinned when I mentioned I wanted all shelving adjustable... he had some kind of gadget that let him inlay the support spacers; really great looking when done. For the BR closets, his labor plus REAL wood (not plywood or pressed or laminate) totalled less than half the cost of estimates from closet companies; and that cost included 3 dozen transparent boot drawers. fyi - those drawers are perfect for sweaters and sweatshirts.

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

I'd agree with the others. Our finish carpenters built all our closets and the pantry shelving in our house. I drew up what I wanted by using some online tools (like easycloset.com) and then walked through the house with our GC to finalize the plans. They were a fraction of the cost of a closet system and provide so much utility.

• mdc08
    15 years ago

How much do you budget for a master walk-in 10x11?

• ncamy
    15 years ago

Our finish carpenter built ours exactly to our specifications in our current house. The cost was VERY minimal...around $300 for a 6 X 15 space. (This was the upcharge cost above what it would have cost to have yucky wire shelving.) We kept it simple though, two sides were doubles and one side a single, all painted wood with trim molding. I'm sure we'll do the same in the new build.

• mdc08
    15 years ago

Do you have any pictures so I can show my cabinet guys?

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

We've elfa'd just about every closet in the house and my mother-in-law's closet in the assisted living and most of the closets will be elfa'd in the new house. Being able to redo them at whim is a big plus.