Comments (5)

• PRO
    Mark English Architects, AIA
    11 years ago
    Is there a question?
  • Bonnie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    mark, I just found this website and trying to figure out how it works. What got me here was trying to figure out how to paint my builder grade banisters. Today I finished them and hopefully they will hold up with 7 grandchildren running up and down the steps. I cleaned, sanded, cleaned again, then painted with oil based paint....2 coats. They look smooth and stunning! What a difference. With the oil based paint, should I also put a coat of polyurethane on them?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi Bonnie, no problem! Houzz is very powerful, but can be bewildering. You'll find that if you search photos with keywords, you'll get to where you want to go. Regarding the finish of the bannister, what sheen did you use? If semigloss you won't need to do anything more.
  • Bonnie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Mark. I used oil, low sheen. my only concern at this point is will the oil paint hold up okay or should I put another coat of something on it as added protection to make sure it wears well.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think it will probably hold up pretty well as it is. Keep an eye on it for a little while.