Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Made offer on a house and crossing my fingers...

golddust
11 years ago

I know this house. It is across the street from where Aimee's grandparents lived. It is actually a duplex, each a little over 1,000 square feet. I'm hoping we get it as there is another offer going in today as well.

Check it out. I love the vintage stoves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rental

Comments (18)

• User
    11 years ago

Wow...those stoves are gems ! The place looks to be very well taken care off. Would get a great return on your investment with the rent you could charge. I hope you get it. c

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

And what about that hollywood tub. Wishing you luck.

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

It's adorable! Good luck.

Beth P.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I agree, it is as cute as a button. The stoves are wonderful and I wish they still made them like that. I will cross my fingers for you. Would you keep it as a duplex or convert it to a single home?

• golddust
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. We need the luck because two offers were made on the house today! Including ours. I wrote the owner a letter telling her my history with the house and we offered a thousand over asking price. 30 day escrow and no contingencies. My DH and I are old house freaks and this place is original. Lots of places like this have been majorly remuddled. I plan to replace the salt, pepper, sugar and flour shakers with reproductions. I don't want to leave them for renters.

It's a great neighborhood with public transit, close schools within walking distance and a beautiful park within easy walking distance.

We plan to keep it a duplex because it is being purchased as a rental for now. One rental will pay its mortgage. (Hey, it's California!) Its an owners market here right now. High rents, low interest. But we will take any profits and put it back in the place. The kitchens could use a bit of updating as there is no dishwasher. Both units have washer and dryers and pantries. The detached garage needs an immediate roof.

The back of the yard butts up to a seldom used alley, where the detached garage is accessed. Great place for kids to play basketball or ride bikes safely. There are two separate basements so plumbing, etc is easily accessed.

We gave her 24 hours to make a decision so we should know something tomorrow. We were pre-qualified and included a letter from our bank stating how much money we had in our savings, plenty to cover the down.

I want this headache so bad. If it is meant to be, it's going to be ours. I want that one stove with the shakers in my kitchen but we have two stories, the chimney for the vent is covered with cabinets so we are stuck with my Viking and my sucky downdraft vent.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

fingers and toes crossed, good luck.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I hope you get it goldie, my fingers are crossed too.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Wishing you luck! Sounds like a wonderful project...

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

What a sweet house. Good luck!

"I want this headache so bad" lol!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

That's really cute. In addition to the vintage stove, I love the drainboard sink.

Good luck.

• golddust
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so nervous. The owner is being presented with the offers right now. I hope she goes with our offer... Fingers, toes and eyes crossed. Hoping we aren't up against a group of investors with all cash.

• golddust
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bummer. we didn't get it. Lost out to an investment group who offered more money than we did. Oh well...

• User
    11 years ago

Wow, I can see why you love it, it's so cute it will be easy to rent. Fingers crossed for you!!!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear, golddust.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Oh, too bad, but another will come along. Darn it. Maybe the next one will be even better.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I' m sorry!! You can hopefully take comfort in knowing you did everything you could-- the letter was a great idea.

I bet the duplex wishes you got it, too. :(

• User
    11 years ago

Bummer, you posted as I was typing and this was the first I've had a chance to check back. So sorry....that scenario happens a lot now and it just sucks.

• golddust
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep. We had no idea our area was in bidding war status. Maybe it isn't for every house but we will cool our jets and continue to invest in our house for now.