Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_marble

How to get sticky felt pads to stay stuck to chair feet

miss_marble
17 years ago

My chairs have those plastic "slider" feet nailed into them, I'm sticking the beige heavy-duty sticky-back felt pads onto them, and they keep slipping off.

Any advice other than heavy wool socks on all the chairs? My chairs have cabriole legs and pad feet, so they are not a straight shot up.

Comments (6)

• bananafana
    17 years ago

Try using rubbing alcohol to clean the plastic surface really well. Then dry and stick the pads on, holding them tight for about a minute. That works for my chairs.

• meg711
    17 years ago

I just posted this on another thread. If your plastic slider feet are rounded, you'll probably have a hard time getting the adhesive pads to stick.

Can you take the plastic glides off the chair legs? If so, and if you can expose the wood, I'm pretty sure I saw protective pads that had a metal circle (instead of the adhesive) that is meant to be hammered into the wooden leg. I'm pretty sure the other side was felt. I saw them at Home Depot.

Good luck!

• miss_marble
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Banana, Meg, and GC!

I will try all of the above on three different chairs and report back on this thread in a week or so in case anyone is interested.

My husband also tried something else yesterday, I'm sitting on that chair right now and will let you know if it lasts. We scratched the surface of the plastic thing (which is flat) (wished we'd thought to clean them w/rubbing alcohol), then used some strong glue to glue the silly pads on, then let it cure overnight. So I'll have four experiments going!

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

• meg711
    17 years ago

I read somewhere recently that the hardwood flooring people recommend replacing those felt pads after six months or so, but I guess it depends on how worn they get. If you glue them on, they'll be that much harder to replace later on.

• gbh105_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have wood chairs; the wood leg tip is exposed to the sticky felt pads. I have no problem with the pads sticking & staying on. As a matter of fact, mine have been on as long as 8-9 years. My problem is that the felt pads have left hundreds of circle spots on the hardwood floor and I cannot remove the spots. What caused these spots? They are dull, sticky-ish scum spots. Is it the fault of the felt or the housecleaner? I've tried soap, alcohol, vinegar, mineral oil, vodka(!-no joke)...I may have to use sandpaper & probably refinish the floors. I have, just today, replaced the felt with sticky plastic floor gliders. I don't know if they are better, but it's now done. No more felt for me.