Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wbgroovy

questions for VCT owners

wbgroovy
17 years ago

I am considering putting in a VCT tile floor in my kitchen. I currently have a wood floor, but I'm finding it hard to keep clean. How has the VCT held up? Does it scratch easily? How about wear?

Comments (8)

• floorguy
    17 years ago

VCT will be just as much if not more maintence. You have to constantly wax and buff it, then every so often you have to strip the wax and start fresh.

LVT is another animal. Fairly easy to maintain. But remember, any hard surface flooring is going to be about the same as far as cleaning regiments.

• floorman67
    17 years ago

If maintenance is a concern, go with a decent quality resilient sheet vinyl product. It offers the best in ease of maintenance.

Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) is another great alternative like floorguy mentions.

True, Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT) is a great resilient floor, but it's a high durability commercial product that comes with alot of maintenance and upkeep baggage. It doesnt necessarity HAVE TO be sealed and waxed and stripped, but it looks better for alot longer of it is.

• texasdad
    17 years ago

I manage a lower rent apartment complex. I put VCT everywhere but the bedrooms because it is almost indestructable. But I would never put it in my own home. It is a commercial product, and looks it.

• wbgroovy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information. I really don't want a commercial look in my kitchen. I did check out Armstrong's website in the LVT and saw some things I liked. Would it require waxing?

• floorman67
    17 years ago

LVT's have a wear layer, and are no wax floors.

• msubobcat
    16 years ago

I recently put VCT 12x12 tiles in my remodeled kitchen. I have black granite counter tops with cream cabinets and cream beadboard backsplash. The flooring is a cream and black checkered VCT floor. Simple look, but, IMO, looks classy. My prime contractor said VCT would make my kitchen look like a 1950's diner and tried to convince me to use a ceramic or stone tile. Couldn't find anything in a solid black and a solid cream, however. I love the look of my VCT, but it does require maintenance. Once installed, I applied several coats of a commercial acrylic specifically for VCT. It sure gives it a high gloss. I have a floor buffer (got it from Lowes) that I use to finish off the sheen. Looks great right after it's waxed and buffed. However, with dogs in the house it doesn't stay that way long.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I have LVT - Metroflor, specifically. It's a dream to take care of - a Swiffer and that's all.

Note that they tend to have a duller appearance than the high-gloss vinyl tiles many people like. The wear layer is very thick, on LVTs like Amtico and Metroflor it is even thicker and more durable that sheet vinyl, but it is NOT high-gloss.

You can use a polish on it, but then you are back to the annual stripping process and reapplying it. I don't bother - we picked this stuff because it was quiet and durable, with almost no maintenance.

Plus, it's slate look and NEVER looks dirty - LOL, love the stuff!

• catkin
    16 years ago

jk can you please show a sample pic or post the name of the Metroflor you chose so I can look it up? Thanks!
    Would it be good in a bath/kitchen?