Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tofoi

Hardwood/bamboo install question for floor experts

tofoi
16 years ago

Hi All

I'll try to make a long story short. Basically, we were given a quote to install our floor (strand woven bamboo floors) which we've purchased the materials for. The price has changed now that there was a "realization" (I quote it because the subfloor has been exposed for weeks now and I'm not sure what it's just coming up) that some sanding needs to be done to make sure its installed level. The addition of this sanding has added 1200 to the quote. My question is, does that sound rediculous to anyone else but me? Shouldnt that have been part of the quote in the first part to prep the floor and do what was needed to install it right?

Someone please shed some light on this for me. The scope of the job is to glue down/install about 1300 sq ft of prefinished bamboo flooring in an entry, dining, kitchen and sunken living room. Product is strand woven carbonized flooring which we've already purchased.

Thanks in advance !

Comments (2)

• floorman67
    16 years ago

LOL, no, sanding should NOT have been included in the original install quote.

That is called surface preparation, so it is over and above any instalaltion rate quotations, and not part of the original scope of work defined in the quote as per your post.

If they did not include it in your original quote, then it (surface preparation) was not figured into the original quote, probably because it was not needed prior to the abuse the subfloor received by it being open to the elements.

Contact your general contractor or person responsible for it being open to the elements about reimbursement. If that person was you, then you just learned a valuable lesson about protecting existing work from the elements in a construction project.

If you think the cost of professional repairs of the work is too much, get other quotes for the same work from other professionals.

We can not tell you what is appropriate compensation for the work because rates change from person to person depending on skillsets and experience, from geographic area to area, and depending on exactly what work is involved (how bad the warpage is) which we can not see over the internet. If you break it down, that is only $0.92 cents a foot.

Repair-Prep is a pain in the butt and very inconvenient, especially after the job was already quoted and when it should not have been needed in the first place because of someones carelessness, so most people will charge very high for it. I know we do.

• tofoi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the response. I left out some details so I know you were filling in the blanks. The GC is the one who quoted the job and took off the parquet to begin with so it was all opened up when he gave the quote. I think he didnt realize there was sanding needed and when he actually talked to his floor installer realized he wanted to sand it .. regardless, I think it sounds like a fair quote even though its more than he originally told us it would be. That irks be to no end.

Thanks so much for the response though.