Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sniffdog

Whole House Audio

sniffdog
17 years ago

I am getting ready to wire up my new house and would like to know if what I am planning on doing makes sense. I want something simple, reliable, decent quality and at reasonable cost.

I planned on making home runs with shielded CL3 line level wire from 6 rooms to an entertainment center. At the entertainment center, I will take the output of my HT receiver and run it into an amplifier that has 6 zones with a L/R per zone. That will allow me to select any device that I plug into my HT receiver for ditribution throughout the house (TV, CD player, iPod, etc.). In each room I will put an impedance matching volume control and connect my ceiling speakers to that. To operate, you turn on entertainment center equipment, pick source, and then go to the room and turn the knob. Seemed to meet my criteria.

Is there a better way that meets my critera? I looked at a fairly cheap digital CAT5 implementation but the amplifiers at each zone controller looked weak to me (10-20W per channel). I also looked at higher end digital systems that have great amps with lots of functionality, but was turned off by the price. If I go with my analog approach, I can pump up to 40W per channel to each zone. The central amp is about $250 dollars for 6 zones and the vol controller are about $30 each.

Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions