Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yborgal

50th High School Reunion

yborgal
13 years ago

We celebrated our 50th HS reunion this weekend with several activities. We went to an all-girl Catholic school and our class was rather small....50 girls, in fact.

We had a nice turnout; reconnected with old friends and had a ball! (Well, we had as much fun as 67 yr olds can have with bad knees and hips.)

Comments (25)

• golddust
    13 years ago

Mona, if I had to guess, you are the one with the beautiful glasses and frosted hair, right? (Your gold shoes gave you away!!)

You don't look old enough to be part of that class! What is your secret, prey tell?

• yborgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, golddust; that is me. I've found bright colors, hanging earrings and make-up are all distractions from the "real" me. It's the art of illusion.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

That looks like so much fun! You have the most beautiful skin. What's your secret?

• jay06
    13 years ago

You look beautiful, Mona! I went to an all-girls Catholic high school, too, where I think girls have the most fun because there are no guys to worry about. I was at our 35th reunion a few years ago, and it was great. Even a few nuns showed up.

Good luck on your upcoming knee surgery. I'm sure it will be successful.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

You look like someone's younger sister rather than a member of the class! I counted 20 women in the group photo I think it's amazing that you had such a high attendance. I graduated in 1967 from an all girls Catholic high school and we had 65 in our class. Unfortunately my school closed years ago when the larger all boys high school went coed. Is your school still operating?

• dgranara
    13 years ago

You are absolutely adorable! And I was gonna same the same thing about your skin! Even before I knew which one you were, I was thinking, "No way is that woman 67!"

Glad you had such a great time!

• amicus
    13 years ago

Wow, I'll repeat what others have said, you're skin is beautiful and I've seen many FIFTY year olds who look plenty older than you! I'm only 54 and you could be my younger sister. Not only your youthful face (and neck), but your hairstyle, glasses etc. sure show what a difference can be made by making choices that don't HAVE to make us look like olden day Headmistresses, lol!

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

Mona, yes please let us know your tricks for such beautiful skin; even if you distract with accessories, we are looking at the real you , unless you photoshopped, lol......

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

WOW, Mona - I want YOUR genes! You'd look beautiful in a potato sack but pickyshopper is right - your styling has you stylin'! Cute 'do', hip glasses and that purple is great on you.

• yborgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm humbled by your wonderful compliments. I got my Cuban grandmother's good skin, but I also got her height (or lack of). Would you believe that she washed her face with soap and water and then followed up with a wipe of alchohol every night? No creams or lotions, ever. She died in her late 80's with barely a wrinkle.

I wasn't kidding about the bright colors and larger earrings. I also found that as I got older my lips got thinner (oh goodness, why not my hips?)and if I use a lip liner I have the illusion of fuller lips.

I have a very good friend who once told me that if there were ever a woman made for make-up, it was me. She's seen me with and without. She says that without make-up I could rob my neighborhood grocery and no one would identify me. (LOL) That's how different I look. She's right.

I'm not sure you really want to know but, just in case.

I use Estee Lauder Swiss performing extract as a moisterizer and Estee Lauder Resilience Extreme make-up base.

Gee, folks, I'm starting to feel better about my upcoming knee surgery. I needed this!!

• golddust
    13 years ago

I showed my DD your photo and she couldn't believe your age. I asked her first to guess how old you were and she guessed 47 years old. That is a full 20 years younger!!! Good genes, indeed!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

I agree with all the comments above. Your haircut, color, skin, glasses, wardrobe, jewelry, are all just great! You just glow, & above all, you look so happy! There are women half your age who don't look half as good! You definitely know how to make the most of what you've got.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

what foundation do you use ? you might as well tell us all your secrets now.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Mona you look marvelous! Your picture proves that age is only a number. You may be lucky in the genes department with the lovely cuban skintone, but there is more to it. There is something to be said for dressing nicely, using the tools we have available to us in the makeup department, keeping our hair styled and just generally making an effort to look our best.

Sadly, I see too many women give up on their appearance when they still have a long life ahead. I believe it definitely changes how women view their own life. The appearance starts to matter less, then it is the I can't do this or that, aches and pains from age start to be an excuse to no longer bother going the extra mile to find stylish age appropriate clothing. Decent haircuts no longer matter. Ease of upkeep trumps style. My DM has a few girlfriends from high school that she still has lunch with once a month. These are some beautiful women, but some have given up. They look so much older because they no longer really care much about their appearance. Many could look much better if they just spent an extra 15 minutes in the morning. I hope I never lose the desire to look my best.

You remind me of my own DM who is years older than you, but still remains age appropriately stylish and looks so much younger than her given age. She has her hair appointments once a month and changes her style now and then, takes pride in her clothing choices, puts on some nice earrings, a bit of makeup and last but not least, a nice lipstick. She's always ready on a moment's notice to meet a friend for lunch in town.

It's an effort as we get older, but so worth it! Your picture is proof positive!

Thanks for sharing the pics of your reunion!

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

You are one terrific looking lady! Everyone's right when they say you look years younger than your age. I think you are the best looking gal in the room. You're not only stylish, but beautiful....and what a great smile.
    Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

• User
    13 years ago

Everyone else already beat me to it... you have gorgeous skin!! I don't see a wrinkle or sun spot! You look so nice. I'm glad you had fun!

• jlc712
    13 years ago

Mona! You are a hot tamale! I would NEVER guess your age correctly.

Looks like you all had a great time. How great that you could all get together.

You will do great with your knee replacement. My FIL had it done this past winter, and after a few weeks of misery, and several more weeks of physical therapy, he is like new man. He says he can't believe how bad his "good" knee feels compared to the replacement. He is 68. He did do the exercises faithfully before surgery to strengthen all his muscles, and thinks it helped a lot.

Jen

• texanjana
    13 years ago

Mona,

You are gorgeous and do not look 67 at all! I hope your surgery goes well. My dad has had both knees, both hips, and one shoulder replaced. When he had his first knee done, he said right after surgery that he was already in less pain than before! Like everyone said, a successful outcome is dependent on the rehab process. I hope all goes well.

Jana

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Mona, you're absolutely stunning, and the spitting image of a lady I know!

Good luck on your surgery, I hope you have plenty of help. :)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Mona, I would have never guess your age either.

My dad had a hip replaced Monday. His surgeon has a group therapy thing going on (I tell ya - it's almost like being in school!) and there are two knee replacement patients in dad's group. It's amazing how all the patients are doing! All are walking by the day after surgery - at the latest.

You'll do great - best of luck and keep us posted.

tina

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I will join in and agree with what everyone else is saying. You look great!!

Funny about your grandmother and the alcohol. My best friend -- who is 48 and has perfect skin -- just told me that she never washes her face at night. I was stunned. Yes, she wears makeup, so she goes to bed with her makeup on, which I've always heard is a no-no. When she gets up in the morning, she washes her face in the shower with SOAP and then uses CLEARASIL on her face!! Now, she has never had one zit in the 10+ years I've known her, but she says it is a habit from high school that she's never dropped. If her skin feels dry, she'll use a moisturizer but otherwise, that is the extent of her skin care regime, and people always compliment her on her perfect skin!

I might try the clearasil AND the alcohol... I need all the help I can get!

• golddust
    13 years ago

I think it helps if you live in a humid environment. California is so very dry. If I don't moisturize, my face feels like it is going to crack.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I would like to place an order of some of your genes, too please. Name your price.

• susan209
    13 years ago

Well, jumping in late........I so agree with all of the nice things said about you, I just know you had fun that night with many old girlfriends. From what I saw, you look fabulous. It's so nice to put a face and name together, I look on here every day and see your comments all the time. Your outfit was so perky for the affair!! Good luck with the knees, at least the pain will be over in awhile!

• zshopper
    13 years ago

Mona you look absolutely radiant! I finally got a chance to see what you look like. Beautiful!! I still remember when you tried so hard to help me find a dress for the derby and I thank you. I see you didnt have as hard of a time finding your beautiful outfit. It looks like you had so much fun.