Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Watery eyes from allergies - what to do?

terezosa / terriks
11 years ago

Every so often my eyes get really watery and sting a bit. They don't itch, and I don't have any other allergy symptoms, so I always thought that it was my eye make up, even when I didn't use anything different. Yesterday I realized that it must be allergies. I went to a nursery looking for some new trees and shrubs, and within minutes tears were streaming down my face. Unfortunately, I don't know which of the trees or shrubs was doing it.

I'd rather not take an antihistamine, because most of them make me very drowsy, even the non-drowsy ones. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there OTC eye drops that help?

Comments (17)

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I've not tried any over the counter, but occasionally I do have trouble with my eyes and allergies. My allergist prescribed Pataday.

• iread06
    11 years ago

There are OTC, antihistamine eye drops such as Zaditor,which my opthamologist recommended using. It seems to help me.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I'll try the Zaditor and see if that helps. This has been going on for a few years, and without the other allergy symptoms I didn't realize what was causing it.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Yes, Zatidor is helpful for allergy eyes. If you wear contacts you should look in to the hydrogen peroxide cleaner, too.

Also wouldn't hurt to start taking Claritin or Zyrtec.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fortunately, I don't wear contacts.
    Which one is less drowsy, Claritin or Zyrtec?

• msventoux
    11 years ago

I generally use Zyrtec for my allergy symptoms and haven't noticed any problems with drowsiness. I've used Claritin a few times as well and didn't notice that being a symptom either, it just didn't work quite as well on my allergy symptoms.

• User
    11 years ago

There is a condition called Dry eye which can give similar symptoms. It's worth looking into before you buy anything for it. My Optometrist diagnosed mine and some relatively cheap drops have helped enormously.
    Don't let the name Dry eye fool you, your eyes can water a lot with it. It is to do with the viscosity of the tears you produce.

• deegw
    11 years ago

I love Zaditor and have used it for years. I recently started washing my eyes with Johnson's baby shampoo and that seems to help as well. I saw it mentioned numerous times online for allergies. I think it helps take all the allergens off your lids and eyelashes.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I have not read all the comments but do see your Eye doctor. It may be blocked tear ducts which only takes a minute to clear and it's pain free.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

T, the same thing happens to me and it's awful. No other allergy symtom except watery eyes.

My doctor prescribed (this must be generic, lol) "Sulfacetamide Sodium Opthalmic Solution."

If your eye's are itching, take the Zyrtec or Claritin, but on a daily basis, even if you don't have any allergy symptoms. It builds up and helps prevent symptoms.

Dry eye's can cause this? I might have to look into it.

I was in Walmart last week and my right eye started watering, and by the time I got to the checkout all the makeup was rubbed off. The checkout lady said, "You don't look well." lol

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

I have allergies and took shots for years. My worst sympton is itchy eyes. Since stopping the shots a year and a half ago, that sympton has returned. I use Naphcon eye drops for the itchy feeling. Also have dry eyes and use Systane drops for that. Those really make your eyes feel better.

Tried all kinds of antihistimes and the only one I can take without feeling drugged up is the 40 mm Allegra. I can only find it at our grocery pharmacy - used to get it through our mail-in pharmacy, now it OTC, and more expensive.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Terri - if you're not having other symptoms, I might caution on the oral antihistimine. Of course I am one to avoid medicine if I possibly can. LOL If it's just your eyes and the drops take care of the problem, I personally would go with that. It might be a good idea, as some suggested, to get your eyes checked though.

Good luck!

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

I recommend the OTC antihistamine eye drops. Generic are fine.

Also recommend using drug-free saline mist up the nose, then blow your nose. It's in a small can like a can of hair mousse. Made by arm and hammer

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got some generic Claritin and generic Zaditor, and have been using them the last couple of days. My eyes are much better.
    I am pretty sure that is an allergy problem, and not something like dry eyes, because of the rapid and dramatic symptoms I experienced at the nursery, that got better when I left and got in my car.

I also took allergy shots for years, and they helped with other symptoms that I had. I remember when I was tested for allergies that I reacted to some types of trees.

• User
    11 years ago

watery eyes and stinging is classic for dry eye syndrome.
    Your eye doctor can do a wick test.
    since you don't have itching I doubt it is allergies.
    Do you ever have a brief sense of clouding over or like there is a film in your eye or like you have an eyelash in your eye.Those are also symptoms of dry eyes.

Get some good quality eye drops, preferably without preservatives and use them 3-4 times a day.
    Eye drops with antihistamines should be avoided.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you ever have a brief sense of clouding over or like there is a film in your eye or like you have an eyelash in your eye.Those are also symptoms of dry eyes.

No, that doesn't happen to me. Again, I think that it is allergies, because I will be fine until I go outside, and the nursery experience really made me realize it was some sort of tree or shrub. It is quite obvious that I am having a reaction to something. Recently my DH and I were out to dinner, and dining in the restaurant's patio area and I experienced the same sypmtoms. I was fine when we left the house, but started tearing up when we sat down on the patio.

• JLM555
    11 years ago

Claritin does not work! (for me, haha) I prefer Zyrtec and only take it the moment I know I'm going to have allergies that day. This isn't to say it always works, but it usually does. I also use an air purifier and have plenty of tissues nearby. Now for watery eyes, I knew a guy who used a prescription eyedropper and he said it worked great! The best way to figure out what you're allergic to is have your doctor either conduct an allergy test or refer you to an allergist. Seems like a hassle, but will definitely help in the long-run.