Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_md_gw

Difference Between Porcelain, Ceramic, and Glazed Ceramic Tiles

brenda_md
15 years ago

We are going to replace our patio and arbor with a four-season room. As we want this room to feel as open and carefree as possible (like the old brick patio and arbor being removed), I want flooring that will be tough.

We plan to use tile over concrete slab. Are there differences in durability between porcelain, ceramic, and glazed ceramic tiles or other things to be considered? Also, do I need to be worried about some tile surfaces being more slippery than others in case something is spilled or someone comes in with damp shoes? Lastly, is there a particular type of grout sealer that is preferred? I appreciate your thoughts and advice, especially if you have such a room.

Comments (4)

• gigabit
    15 years ago

I can explain it to you, but I think the link to the website below does a better job than I would for you. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceramic tile vs Porcelain tiles

• brenda_md
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gigabit, thanks for the response. The website is quite informative. I am sure many people think this was a silly question, but I have no experience with tiles (excluding my kitchen backsplash) as I grew with wood floors and the house my husband and I built also has wood floors. Actually, when talking to the salespersons on the tile differences, they really cannot give good information either. Thanks again!

• detroitmi
    15 years ago

Well,the difference between Porcelan and Glazed Ceramic tile is ,Porcelan is solid while cutting it,it last longer,and the surface is rough. The Glazed ceramic it is softer and cracks and chips easier , the surface is Glazed and slipery. So ,in your case you'd go for Porcelan

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Jobs

• harmon_2008
    15 years ago

Ceramic tile is a mixture of clays and other natural materials. The special clays are mined from the earth, shaped, colored and than fired in kilns. Traditional ceramic tile can be naturally colored and left unglazed like terra cotta, or they can feature colored or highly designed surfaces which can be glazed (finished with a glass surface) either in a high gloss or matte finish. Most ceramic tile has either a white or red body coloration underneath the glazed, colored top layer.

Glazed porcelain has a body made of the porcelain material and then a glaze is applied over the surface much like a regular ceramic tile
    Porcelain tile is a newer form of ceramic tile and extremly popular among homeowners. Porcelain tiles are composed of fine porcelain clays and fired at much higher temperatures than ceramic tiles. This process makes porcelain tile more dense, less porous, much harder and less prone to moisture and stain absorption than ceramic tiles. For these reasons, most porcelain tiles are suitable for both indoor and outdoor installations. Porcelain tiles are also harder to cut due to their density and hardness.

For other information you can check this site Ciciliot