Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benjinmass

Sanity check on heat pump installation quote?

15 years ago

I live in central Massachusetts in a house that is about 2600sf, though it's all cathedral ceilings throughout -- no attic, and lots of windows. We do have an unfinished basement. We have an oil furnace and baseboard heat. In summer it is not uncommon for the upstairs bedrooms to be in the upper 80s at night, and with my wife pregnant this summer I thought it would be a great time to put A/C in. In the interest of resale value, I want to go with real central A/C versus the ductless split systems.

I was bracing for the job to cost over $20k, since we have no existing ductwork. But multiple estimates from local installers came back in the upper $30k's and low $40k's. I'd like to get your opinions on whether my quotes sound reasonable. After reading some posts on here, I'd almost expect the job to cost half as much as my quotes...

Of the 3 quotes I got, one I threw out immediately, since the guy didn't do measurements for a load calculation, and didn't even think to look in the basement for installation possibilities to handle the 1st floor. The other two companies seemed very professional and did full load calculations and provided detailed quotes. They both called for a 5 ton system for the 1st floor and a 3 ton system for then 2nd floor.

Below is the quote from the local Carrier dealer, the company I felt the most comfortable with overall, and with A+ rating from BBB. Since there was only about a 5% increase in total cost to go with comparable heat pumps in place of AC-only compressors, I asked them to quote the heat pumps.

- two each, (1) 5 ton and (1) 3 ton:

* Carrier Infinity 25HNA6: 16-SEER two-stage R-410a heat pump

* Carrier Performance FV4: variable speed fan coil

- installation and materials for everything (including ductwork), one in the basement and the other on the ceiling of the garage

- 2-zone system for 1st floor system

- Aprilaire 5000 Electronic Air Cleaner (x2)

Total quote: $42513 + ~$2000 for electrician work

The Trane dealer came back about $5k less, but that was for non-heat pump systems. I also feel like it was a less reputable outfit. So, any opinions on whether I'm really looking at a $40k job, or if I'm being taken for a ride? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    15 years ago

I can see 40k for maybe 5000 sq 'house but thats huge for a 2600 sqft house. I dont know the lay out but with this eccounomy I surely would look for more estamites.
    Heck Ill do it for 30K and come from jersey.
    goood luck

• 15 years ago

hi, i was just wondering about the duct work? will there be bulk heads, ceiling and floor registers? plenty of return vents? in wall and ceiling duct?.........ultimately you get what you pay for. i am a maryland contractor...and their are times when the labor to do a job properly is worth the additional money. in a house like yours the idea is to have ac and for it to look as if it came with the new construction. here in most cases we use high volicity systems that allow use to fish 2" flex ducting thru- the walls and ceilings.....no bulk heads or box ins....the price, will its not that bad for a very well done job....

• 15 years ago

In my opinion, they're oversizing your systems and giving you inferior components in an otherwise good system. You want the Infinity fan coils and the Infinity controls. Makes no sense to hinder the capability of the Infinity system with non-communicating air handlers. I'd get other quotes...

Shouldn't need 8 tons for 2600 sqft. I don't even need 5 tons for 2800 sqft (albeit in Maryland).

• 15 years ago

Wow...thats alot of $$$ for those units. Down in my area..we are getting around $2,500 per ton for a full install on a existing home. That load seems way wrong for that area of the country.

I'd get some more quotes before you invest that kinda money.

• 15 years ago

Have you looked at solar hot water + natural gas or propane backup? This would use the existing hydronic systems.

At $40K for the whole project, it will be worth your while to have an energy audit done and look at options to upgrade the cathedral ceiling insulation and use insulating drapes for some windows. More insulation will mean much smaller tonnage on the AC system, saving you $$$.

And finally, if you can get the SEER rating high enough on the AC systems, there is a very nice tax credit for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: State Energy Incentives

• 15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Two reputable contractors came up with roughly the same load calculations, resulting in 7 - 8 tons. The 2600sf is deceptive... The layout of the house is reminiscent of raquetball courts. Lots of vertical everywhere, if measured in cubic footage you might get a more reasonable perspective on this strange house.

I might just do an energy audit as klaire2001 suggested and see if that tonnage can't be downsized. But for now let's assume 8 tons is the right figure. So how much should I expect to pay for top-grade high-SEER matched heat pump systems like Carrier Infinity 16? (Assume no additional furnace is added.)

Keep in mind that there is no existing ductwork, and the house does not make ductwork particularly easy to install. My current plan was to run exposed spiral ductwork along one of the cathedral peaks to reach the upstairs rooms... Knowing we could box off the peak if it looks too crazy. Without seeing a floorplan that probably doesn't make sense to you, but you'll have to trust me on it. :)

• 15 years ago

You wouldn't be getting the Infinity system with that Performance air handler, more like a quasi-Infinity system. :-)

Insist on getting the Infinity FE4A air handler, not FV4B which is the Performance series unit.

• 15 years ago

Nearly $45k for 2600 sqft. You my friend have met the ultimate professional HVAC Prince of Thieves. I knew these guys were bad but this sounds criminal. Unbelievable! lol. I would have laughed the prince right out the house. Give me a break.

• 15 years ago

I thought so, too, until I got an equivalent quote from the Trane dealer for almost as much. It has to be all about location. Should I consider importing an HVAC non-thief from a more reasonably priced region to do the work?? Or anyone know a reasonable installer in central New England?

• 15 years ago

Ask friends and neighbors. That pricing can't be right.

• 15 years ago

For those keeping score at home, I took your advice and asked everyone I know on Facebook for HVAC contacts -- people they know and trust. I found that one of my wife's family members has a family friend in the A/C business.

He came out to gather information last week, and we just heard back from him. His calculations confirmed that the 8 tons is right for my strange house. But his proposal was under $30k for top of the line Carrier Infinity 19 SEER heat pump systems complete with air cleaners and humidifiers, installed with all necessary ductwork and electrical work.

So thanks for saving me some serious $$$ and helping me end up with a contractor I feel much more comfortable with!

• 15 years ago

benjinmass -

I live in MA also and would love to get the name of your contractor as I am going thru the same dilemma. If you click on my name you will see the email link.

Thanks