Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparti_gw

Maytag vs. American Standard

sparti
15 years ago

Hi,

I studied your posts the night before last, and want to thank you very much because I understood a LOT when the guy came to give me a bid yesterday, and the guy today. I think I knew more than the guy today, in fact. Which may be a reason not to go with them. But he said he had been a tech and was just moving into sales so he was slow at it.

Anyway-- I'm in Arizona and it is HOT. I've had 2 bids only, and the neighbor had a guy call me today about a third but that company isn't listed on any of the sites you guys talk about or on my electic co.'s preferred list so I'm not going there even though its 2,000 cheaper. I have a bid for American Standard from the guy who knew what he was doing (and he is NATE) for either Heritage 13, 14.25 SEER, 4A6H3048A1000A; 4tEE3F48A1000A; ARI # 1412523 ($7700), compared to Heritage15, 15.0 SEER, 4A6H5048AI000A; 4TEE3F65B1000A; ARi # 1382179 ($8700). $700 more for 10 year parts and labor. Seller is son of owner of company, they are NATE, but the actual installers would not be. Son says the installers have been with them 6 years and trained by them. SECOND bid: this was the salesman who didn't know as much, but, the company is listed on the NATE site and on my electric company too. They quoted me a Trane 14.25 SEER for about $9,000-- I won't type all those numbers b/c I've pretty much ruled it out already. I guess its not much more $ than the American Std. 15 SEER above, but I'm leaning toward the Am.Std. 14.25 anyway. BUT, this second company also quoted two Maytags. And that is what I want to know from you guys. I haven't seen any of you talk about Maytags and can't find much on any other site. I'll tell you one thing-- they are prettier! (yes I'm a girl) But seriously, the main thing is, they have a 12 year warranty as compared to the 10. And, if they have to replace the compressor, they will replace the air handler too. He gave me three numbers instead of two-- I don't get it. But here goes: 13SEER: PSH4BD048K; MB5BM2000C; C5BHX48CC ($7400). 14SEER: PSH4BDO48K; MB5VM2000C; C5BHX48CC ($8100). $550 for the 12 year warranty. Okay, all of these (Maytag and Am.Std.) are 4 tons and with the new R-410A and the figures I listed include tax. All are supposed to be Energy Star. Any comments/thoughts/help?

Comments (9)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

I would go with the 15 SEER American Standard--solid system with great efficiency numbers. The 14.25 SEER combo is weak in heating BTU's and efficiency, though this may not be important to you since you're in AZ. The 15 SEER would likely be a little quieter. I like American Standard equipment and think they make a solid product.

• tigerdunes
    15 years ago

the Heritage 15 AmStd HP is one solid condenser with great performance numbers if paired with correct var speed air handler. Same can be said with Carrier's Performance 15 HP.
    Just have no experience with Maytag other than very good washer/dryer. and yes, they are pretty!

IMO

• sparti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Ryan and Tigerdunes!! I am glad to hear Am.Std. is fine. I do feel pretty comfortable with the man from that company. I'll hang in a little while longer to see if anybody on here has any experience with Maytag. (I didn't even know they made air conditioners-- just the washer/dryers!) This blog is so helpful.

• udarrell_2007
    15 years ago

When did electric power companies begin to "favorable list" HVAC Contractors?

They could be favoring the larger companies & not including the smaller, but perhaps better companies.(?)

I would like to see posts from everyone who's power company has a preferred list of HVAC companies. - udarrell

Here is a link that might be useful: HVAC CUSTOMER SERVICE SATISFACTION

• sparti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi udarrell--
    My power company is SRP. You can check out their website,its srpnet.com
    They have a list of "SRP PowerWise Certified Contractors" and that is where I picked the two companies that came out. They offer 50% off tune ups sometimes dueing the year. SRP is promoting the "green" stuff and everything Energy Star, and they give a rebate for certain air conditioners (well, heat pumps) that meet the right SEER, EER, etc. The installer HAS to do that heat load test. So, it helps me, the consumer, get a company who does actually know how to do it. I learned how important that was from this blog. I don't think they are favoring larger companies. The company who gave me the bid for American Standard is a dad with two sons.
    Denise

• udarrell_2007
    15 years ago

Hi Denise,
    Thank you for responding.
    I will check out their web site.

Every power company should be doing everything possible to help everyone reduce energy consumption.

Oil futures speculation due to threats to Iran & our actions in the Middle East could destroy our economy. - udarrell

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

Denise,

Curious to see which option you went with--if you've yet decided.

Ryan

• sparti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going with the company that offered American Standard. I felt most comfortable with those guys, plus, nobody on here ever wrote me anything about Maytags. I did like that 12 year warranty though. Anyway, I have not decided for sure on the Heritage 13 vs. Heritage 15 just because the 15 is $1,000 more. But both of you guys that weighed in said the 15, so I think I will go ahead and spend the extra money. I was just now online trying to check what the ARI means on a "CEE" website? It says something about the Heritage 13 is Energy Star until 4/1/06. That makes me kind of nervous since I guess that means its older? So that also makes me more inclined to pick the 15. It said it was 1 R (which looks like it means Tier 1 residential). I am going to call him later today to tell him which one. He says he has both handy. They are coming out Monday morning and say they can get it all done in that one day, so I am happy about that.

• sparti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S.
    I get a rebate of $425 for the Heritage 15. (from my power company) The rebate for the Heritage 13 was to be $250-- but, when I just checked that CEE page, it only shows 8 HSPF on that one and the rebate requires 8.2. So I think my sales guy slipped up or hasn't checked that lately so maybe I can tease him about that enough to get a hundred dollars off on the extended warranty! :)