Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumorchard

Speed Queen vs. Fisher Paykel TL

plumorchard
16 years ago

The Kenmore Oasis W/D finally ticked off hubby enough that we are looking to replace what has been the worst year and half of laundry for us. (Numerous service calls, clothes not clean , etc.) So...I am considering the Speed Queen AWS76NW and the Fisher Paykel (no model yet) Top Load machines. Front Load is simply not an option for us - laundry 2nd floor.

The dealer we visited to check on the SQ lead us to the FP. The didn't have the SQ to look at. Honestly, the draw of that machine is the simplicity and the warranty.

The Kenmore replaced and Amana that blew up on us after a year and 1/2. So we are hoping for something that will last a bit longer.

We will be looking at the set of either. Any thoughts?

Comments (37)

• whirlpool_trainee
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tough one.

Both are good machines. If you want simplicity and reliability Speed Queen is a really good choice. They have all the basic options you need to do laundry. Here are some Speed Queen videos from YouTube.

The Fisher & Paykel top loaders have more options so you can, for example, select water efficient shower rinses instead of traditional deep rinses. It also spins at 1000 rpm vs. 710 on the Speed Queen. It's very silent, too, though I haven't heard a Speed Queen TL yet. If you didn't like the Oasis you won't like the AquaSmart either as they are pretty much identical machines.

IMO it's also a good idea to read the instruction manual to get an overview of selectable options and how to use the machine in general.

There are some Fisher & Paykel videos on YouTube. I have several videos, mostly from the F&P expert "Dadoes", on my computer. He also has the F&P top load dryer. These files are fairly large but I could easily send them to you if you like.

HTH, Alex

• sparky823
    16 years ago

I have nothing against the F&P but with the SQ you don't have ANY electronics or boards of any kind to burn out. It is just a sturdy built washer to last for the long haul. They are made the way machines were built years ago-no plastic gears or any of that stuff. Just simple,strong and sturdy. I also believe the SQ tub is larger than the F&P just from looking at it. The best thing about the SQ also is it drains out the water as it spins. This way it carries the dirt out better than one that does a "neutral" drain where all the water and dirt drains down over the clothes, letting the removed soils settle right back on the clean clothes. With the SQ drain/spin this doesn't happen. They also don't get off balance and bang or walk around.

• dudleyfuddpucker
    16 years ago

Heheh, well, the F&P has no gears of ANY kind, regardless of material! :)

With that said, I'm not sure I understand the aversion to modern controls. Do we also pine for the days of carbuerated, straight-exhaust cars and the telegraph?

I've been an engineer in the electronics industry (controls, specifically) for 30+ years, and although anything can break, the facts still bear out that mechanical devices, on average, are significantly less reliable than solid state ones.

• curiousshopper
    16 years ago

Well I am not an engineer of controls, but I am a consumer who has been repeatedly burned by the failure of electronic controls.

I've had microwave ovens, clothes washers, regular ovens and dishwashers fail solely to their control boards burning out. Expensive appliances, tossed out before their time because the cost of the replacement boards made repair unfeasible.

Think of the computer and control board nightmares in the early 1980s automobiles. The problems seem to be worked out, but it took years. I'm not so sure that the problems have been worked out in appliances.

• sparky823
    16 years ago

Look over some of the repair forums and see how many people are having problems with electronics. I had a washer with regular controls and never had a problem with any of that. Then I got a new F/L and had board problems within a year. I have a neighbor with the F&P and it is 2 years old and she likes it very much. I have nothing against my machine or hers but if I was getting a new one and getting a T/L it would be SQ. Buy what you want and be happy with it electronic or not.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of the recurring issues we have had with the Oasis dryer is the electronics. We just replaced a control board and have had several fault codes over the short time we have had it.

The washer has not had electronic issues- it simply doesn't get clothes clean no matter what we try to do. Is that a rinse thing, a lack of movement in the tub ?? I dunno, I just know that the really cheapo Amana did a better job cleaning and that my mom's old, old, old Whirlpool does even better than that.

• dudleyfuddpucker
    16 years ago

And I've had no issue with anything electronic in 30 years (well, OK, I did have to pitch one Maytag microwave due to an inferior soldering job on the board for the membrane switches). Of course my experiences and those of my friends, co-workers, etc. like this forum, are circumstantial in the big picture. The facts still bear out that solid state stuff is far, far more reliable overall than mechanical devices. All things being equal it will be, as there is much less to break, nothing moves, etc.

Sorry to hear about your bad washing experiences with the Oasis. I am not convinced with the wash plate technology myself either, one reason I purchased the agitator version of the FP.

• washerman8
    16 years ago

Plumorchard,
    I had the Kenmore Oasis for ONE week. The washer was delivered with a problem with the power on button and the dryer rattled so much that I just had to send it back.

I have a Speed Queen set and absolutely love them. I can't recommend them highly enough. The washer washes great and the dryer dries fast.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

washerman - does the detergent have a dispenser or do you just toss it in? Seems like I recall the FP (w/agitator) you had to put the laundry in the center area?? It has been while but I remember DH didn't like where it had to go.

Thanks,

• washerman8
    16 years ago

My Speed Queen washer does not have a detergent dispenser. I put the detergent in the tub while the water is filling before I put my clothes in.

• kcred
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to buy the F&P Aquasmart/Aerosmart combo. IIRC, the salesman said that F&P offers a 30 day return policy. You could always go for F&P (after first checking with your own sales rep to confirm this) and if they don't live up to your expectations, return them for something that will.
    I always hear that "Form Follows Function" but as a design engineer, the F&P had me from the git-go. Good luck in whatever you decide!
    kcred

• dudleyfuddpucker
    16 years ago

Let us know how you like your Aquasmart kcred. I'm still not sold on the washplate agitators or convinced they move the laundry around enough...one reason I went instead for the IWL16/DEIX2 set...and have zero regrets.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would like feedback too kcred - last week hubby came home from a short trip and decided to throw in some laundry real quick. (We have the Oasis) He literally tossed in his jeans (folded) from his bag. He said when he took them out after the wash was done they were still folded! Now, yes, he should have not put them in that way - but for them not to even move seems odd.

I'm off to Lowes in the next few days to look at the FPs. Can't find anyone that has a SQ on the floor to look at.

Alex - would love those videos if you can. My email is on my page. Thanks,

• jakkom
    16 years ago

Don't know about the SQ, but one thing we love about the FP TL washer is the auto-sensing water level. We don't always do full loads after sorting, and we were always having to guess what water level should be used.

The auto-sensor made a noticeable difference in our water usage. The clothes are also cleaner, with less wear.

It's not unusual for me to miss a kleenix in the pockets. In our old workhorse Kenmore, that facial tissue would end up in a zillion little white pills all over my dark knits (of which I have a lot!).

In the FP - we also have the TL dryer, BTW - I get a flat, perfectly washed, fragile yet completely intact, sheet of kleenix back.

The first time it happened I was amazed! I really try to empty out the pockets beforehand, but it's happened several times since in the 2 yrs we've had them.

FP makes a GREAT washer!

• kcred
    16 years ago

jkom51:
    Which model of F&P do you have? With the agitator or the wash plate? You sure sound like a satisfied customer! Also, does the F&P dryer work well? Thanks for any additional advice/comments on your F&P experiences.
    kcred

• lulundave
    16 years ago

plumorchard

I laughed when you wrote about the jeans that came out of the wash still folded!
    I had the Cabrio without agitator and it was just as ridiculous as your Oasis sounds. Sometimes where fabric was folded it became twisted so much that the fabric didn't even get wet!
    I really felt like we were walking around dirty.

The only option I had was to exchange for another Whirlpool and since I had the Cabrio dryer I decided to go for the Cabrio with agitator. So far so good. But if I were to do it all over again I would have just gone with a standard $600.00 set. It is just not worth the $1600.00 plus dollars we spent on it.

• regus_patoff
    16 years ago

check the other washer repair forums for F&P, Fisher Paykel, ect

Here's a message about their dish washers.

F&P dishwasher problem

• dadoes
    16 years ago

In response to Regus_Patoff, I have the following F&P appliances, no repairs or problems:

GWL08 washer, purchased 8/2/1999 (8 years old)
    DE04 dryer, purchased 8/2/1999 (8 years old)
    DD603 DishDrawer, purchased 8/21/2003 (4 years old)
    IWL12 washer, purchased 10/8/2004 (3 years old)
    DEGX1 dryer, purchased 10/8/2004 (3 years old)

• jakkom
    16 years ago

We have the GWL11, an agitator model. We also have the top-load dryer, but I don't think it's especially worth the premium price. It works well, and the two nice things about it are the lint cup and the auto reverse tumbling. But in reality, any old dryer would probably do.

Unlike dadoes, who has the same model dryer we have, we have had some minor repairs on our TL dryer, all covered under warranty. Has been OK for the past year, though, so looks like we're past it all. Dadoes reports absolutely no problems with his TL dryer, at last report here. We got the EW specifically because the dryer technology is unique to F&P and fairly new on the market.

I wasn't very impressed by the link from lulundave. That last sentence, "sometimes it costs more to fix what I just fixed" pretty much says it all. I think these days all mfgs have some lemons - look at the folks who have had recent problems with the Wolf AG ranges or their Miele DWs, two respected and usually rock-solid brands - so what you want is good customer service. We've been impressed with F&P service arm, in our area it's quite good.

Note that none of the service arms these days fix anything in one visit. The first visit is ALWAYS diagnostic; then they ship the part (either to you or to the service vendor), then you get a second appt to install the part.

I mention this because one recent discussion thread in the Kitchen forum brought up that the OP expected her costly appliances to be fixed in the first visit. She was very upset to learn the first visit is always a diagnostic and really lambasted the mfg and store for lousy products and service. It was a case of misplaced expectations. People who remember "the old days" when a repair guy came up in his van with every part that might be needed right away, need to realize that service vendors don't work that way any longer. Yes, it would be nice if they did, but it just isn't realistic in today's environment.

The customer has to face the fact that any repair to ANYTHING (if you're not a DIYer) is going to take at least two appts, which means somebody's gotta be home for at least half a day or more, each time!

• dadoes
    16 years ago

jkom51, an interesting aspect of the electric model topload dryer is that it has dual heating elements. One is 2/3 of the total heating capacity, the other is 1/3. (That is not to say the dual-element design is unique to F&P, other brands/models may also feature it.) On the Denim and Regular cycles (high heat), both elements run in the forward direction, only the 1/3-element in the reverse direction. On Perm Press (medium heat) and Delicate (low heat) the 2/3-element runs during forward tumble, the 1/3-element during reverse. This minimizes subjecting delicate items to a blast of heat input.

• dudleyfuddpucker
    16 years ago

regus_patoff, of COURSE there are lots of problems on those sites...they are *repair* forums! Nobody ever logs on to a repair forum to brag about how great their machine has been running.

Similarly, you can't try to make an analysis based on more entries from oweners of brand X vs. brand Y, because there are too may variables not taken into account. Did brand Y sell 10x more of their machines? Are owners of brand X more likely to DIY vs. just call a repair guy?

You get the idea...

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Alex..anyone else
    I enjoyed watching the speed queen spin draining. When I was growing up we had a Maytag TL for a time and it did this same type of spin/drain. Are there any other TL that spin/drain like this?

• sparky823
    16 years ago

Speed Queen is the only top load washer made today that still uses the spin/drain method which is the best way of draining the tub because the dirt isn't settling back on the clothes.

• whirlpool_trainee
    16 years ago

"Are there any other TL that spin/drain like this?"

Some pre-Whirlpool Maytags spun like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll to bottom of page for 3 Maytag vids

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

"Some pre-Whirlpool Maytags spun like that."

Your the best. These are like the one my parents had.

Wonder why those made today don't spin out like this anymore? I guess speed queen in the one to get if you want this type of spinning.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

Whirlpool's initial release of the direct-drive design did a spin-drain. They changed it for some reason, incorporating a neutral-drain mechanism into the transmission ... maybe due to consumer request, people accustomed to their previous belt-drive machine doing a neutral drain?

In any case, any Whirlpool/Kenmore/KitchenAid/Roper/Estate and now Maytag machine that is the neutral-drain direct-drive design can be made to spin-drain by simply opening the lid for a few seconds after the drain period has started, then closing it again. Pausing the motor and restarting it when the tranny is in neutral-drain mode is what triggers it into spin. It's a manual method that requires attention/interaction of the user, but is an option for those with said machines who really want to try a spin-drain.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tried to go see the SQ this weekend. I had 4 dealers "in the area" - one doesn't carry it at all, two didn't have them on the floor and knew nothing about them, the other one is over 60 miles from here so I didn't even call to see if they had one - we were waiting for some bad weather so didn't chance it.

Oh well, I will see what I can find out later but as tempting as it might be to go with the SQ it will be hard if I can't find one!

• sparky823
    16 years ago

Have you looked at the new Maytag Centennial 100th Anniversary model? I know it is a Whirlpool but I think it is a nice looking machine. Whirlpools are good machines I just don't care for the "neutral drain" but I am sure it would do fine. I just like the way they did the control panel on this particular model--similar to Maytags from the past. Not sure of the model# but it is on their website and listed as 100th Annv. model. Too bad about the SQ They are tough machines.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

I've heard that the Whirlytags are built with the beefed-up parts that were previously featured on the KitchenAid line of topload washers & dryers -- sturdier construction, stronger motors, better-quality heating elements (KA had a 5-year warranty on dryer elements), etc. Which makes sense, since laundry was dropped from KA shortly before the new Whirlpool-built Maytags appeared.

KA toploaders had a larger agitator base than Whirlpool/Kenmore machines, and with 3-speed motors they ran high agitation at the medium motor speed, so tended to be less "thrashy" on clothes. I don't know if the Maytags follow that design. One way to tell is if the perforations in the bottom of the basket are covered by the agitator. The first washer/dryer pair I owned was a KitchenAid set. I always thought there weren't any holes in bottom of the basket, until somebody advised me they are there under the agitator base. My grandmother used the pair for several years, now I have them back as a spare set in my garage.

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

Plumorchard, we considered SQ, as we too like their simplicity of what they have to offer. We settled on Miele as a friend of ours runs an appliance store that sells them. However, we are still awaiting their arrival as they sold-out at the end of the year and they have received our washer, but no dryer, so we are still waiting as we would like both delivered at the same time.

We are replacing a Fisher & Paykel Smart Drive washer model L03 and dryer model D04; both purchased new in November 1996 as F&P was starting to establish itself in the US. The washer has been flawless except normal wear as the agitator blades there are three) have a relief line in them (I suspect to prevent the drive mechanism from locking should a situation arise where a bundle of clothes binds against the drum and the agitator) and one fatigued to the point that it broke-off with another showing fatigue signs so a new agitator was in order (approximate agitator cost is $215 with shipping, and a DIY project). The other issue was, and still is, the one-piece plastic control fascia cover with all the button selections that cracked once and was replaced, and has since cracked again. I do not like this method of covering buttons as it leads to the same outcome time-and-time again.

The dryer did give us issues, the main issue: It would not shut-off when it should after selecting an automatic selection (e.g., cottons, permanent press, etc.) causing the clothes to get super hot. At the time I contacted F&P providing a very detailed description of the issue, and F&P worked directly with me under the condition that I send them back the parts I replaced, I did. All functions worked well for about two years, and then the same problem reoccurred. Again, I contacted F&P and they had a record of me so they sent out the same replacement part only this time the part was made by GE versus F&P, I sent them back the old parts as instructed. All worked well until the five-year mark where the same issue occurred. By this time F&P had become established in the US, and they no longer allowed me to fix it, as they sent a repairman. The same part was replaced, and it too was made by GE; on each occasion the part had changed (as I photographed the parts each time). Since that time the dryer has worked without fail. There is simple workaround if the automatic selection does not work and that is to run the manual timer versus the automatic selection. The plastic fascia control cover also cracked over time, twice.

Both the F&P washer and dryer are going to a needy family when our new ones arrive. The reason we chose not to go with F&P again is that I come from a family that will not own GE consumer products (GE's commercial and industrial products are excellent, their consumer products are typically below par). During that time I do recall something on how GE became involved with F&P, but because of all the acquisitions and mergers it is hard to put all the pieces together, but the bottom line is that I want nothing to do with GE consumer products. I can say, without equivocation, that I enjoyed interfacing with F&P as they were very accommodating.

• dudleyfuddpucker
    16 years ago

fahrenheit, the only relationship GE and F&P has is that some of F&P's FL dryers are re-branded GE products. I believe the only current laundry items this applies to are the DE09/DG09. That is it.

My IWL16/DEIX2 pair has nothing to do with GE, and are fully F&P products.

• mrb627
    16 years ago

At one time, GE had an F&P SmartDrive washer under it's premium Monogram label.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

(approximate agitator cost is $215 with shipping, and a DIY project)There's NO WAY an agitator could be $215. I found one on eBay for $42 just now. That's right, Forty-Two Dollars. Sears carries F&P parts, but their database isn't responding to F&P model numbers at the moment so I'm not able to check the price there. I've checked F&P parts at Sears several times, and a controller board is less than $150, so an agitator couldn't possibly be over $200.

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

"There's NO WAY an agitator could be $215. I found one on eBay for $42 just now. That's right, Forty-Two Dollars. Sears carries F&P parts, but their database isn't responding to F&P model numbers at the moment so I'm not able to check the price there. I've checked F&P parts at Sears several times, and a controller board is less than $150, so an agitator couldn't possibly be over $200.

First, Mr. Dadoes, I take offense to being referenced to as a liar. Here is the link (their web site is such that I cannot direct link):

Expert Appliance

Second, the next time, it might benefit you to ask before you make accusations. Now, I am certain my wife and I made the correct choice to move away from Fisher & Paykel through your attitude. Especially, since you appear to present yourself as an expert on Fisher & Paykel matters on these forums. If you are capable of following the link, and inputing as requested on said corresponding links, you will get to the page. Since I replaced the product, I also made a PDF of it for my record showing the price. Since you prefer to shop on eBay, go right ahead. Maybe it is you who is misleading others, not I?

• dadoes
    16 years ago

I never said you were a liar. I did misspeak, however. I should have said that there's no way an agitator *should* be $215.00

Yes, I've run across that site before. It's WAY overpriced. A divertor valve for $184? Sears has it for less than $20. $214 for a pump? Sears carries it for less than $90 last time I looked.

I've never bought an appliance part on eBay, I only look there to see what's being offered.

Did you try calling F&P directly to get an agitator?

I did buy an F&P part from Sears. A tub-home prism for my DishDrawer, to have one as a spare so I can run it with the drawer open using a plexiglass cover I had made in order to see the spray action. Cost of the part: $2.86

Your selected site isn't high only on F&P Parts ... for comparison I checked the price of a belt for my Calypso washer and a KitchenAid pump. I can find both items at other appliance parts sites for less than half their cost.

Interesting (and disturbing, as I didn't realize I had that much influence) that I had anything to do with you "moving away" from Fisher & Paykel, as I have no connection with them other than as a consumer who has purchased and used their products.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

I've been using an outdated address for Sears Parts. I found the agitator for a Fisher & Paykel GWL03 easily via the correct site address, which is http://www.searspartsdirect.com

Sears carries the agitator for $35.49.

Agitator for Fisher & Paykel Washer Model GWL03

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What makes the SQ not energy efficient?