Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndsa_gw

What to put over the range

NDSA
10 years ago

I am debating on what to put over our range. Currently we have an OTR Microwave and I was planning on keeping it. The issue is that I wanted to give some "3D" features and bump out the cabinets above 2" to make it more decorative. The issue is that in order to do that, I need to move the microwave about an 1" forward. I am not sure if that is possible (maybe just put plywood behind the microwave). But now the microwave will be covering more of the range. Has anyone done this?

So now I am reconsidering keeping the OTR microwave (I know lots of people don't like them, but we never had an issue with venting so originally I was planning on keeping the OTR microwave.) and replacing it with just a vent. My issue is that we don't have duct work for a vent (we used a recirculating microwave). My question is...can anyone recommend a nice looking recirculating vent. I am picturing something like this...

Transitional Kitchen by Cupertino General Contractors Build For Me Construction

or something like this...

Traditional Kitchen by Evanston Design-Build Firms Benvenuti and Stein

Comments (7)

• xand83
    10 years ago

It seems like bumping out the OTR would just make it tougher to get to the back of the range. OTRs typically already jut-out a few extra inches from the cabinet. Any more and it will be all-the-more tough to use the back burners/controls.

We are in a similar situation. We are ditching our recirculating microwave for a hood, but we will be venting since it's on an exterior wall. It seems most hoods have an option for recirculating that is either included or an additional add-on expense.

I think we are getting the Broan B5630SS, but I just noticed the price went up $50, so that's annoying. Grrr.

• cparlf
    10 years ago

Personally, I love our OTR microwave. It is also a convection oven, bakes up to 400 degrees. Since installation, we find we use that more than the gas range. We live in a moderate home, and although we really like some range hoods, it would be a bit over the top for our life style. Venting to the outside is critical, in my opinion.

• cevamal
    10 years ago

Have you ruled out venting to the outside? We had a recirculating "vent" (scare quotes because it was terrible) and have installed a vent to the outdoors. DH did it all himself so it can't be too difficult or expensive to have a contractor do!

I get the desire for variety in the cabinets but I don't know that this is the place for it. As someone else mentioned it will make the back of the stove less accessible.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

We also DIY's venting out. Not that hard (if you are handy) and not expensive.

• nebbobear
    8 years ago

I am new posting on this site....don't know if posters from 2014 will see this or comment....I moved my oven to an outside wall. I had an OTR microwave and it recirculated air and we did fine except if something spilled over in the oven and smoked.....now i need to replace the microwave....i cant decide if i should get a regular OTR microwave...can anyone recommend the convection one...is there a small convection oven the same size that does not use microwave?...today was the first time I realized there was such a thing as convection microwave when I was out shopping....I don't understand fully if this can be used as "either/or" if it is all microwave..just with more sophisticated way to microwave ....I hope this makes sense...thanks...!!!!!

• Jancy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a microwave/convection combo. It does both, Microwaves and convection. One house we have a whirlpool and another is a Bosch. Haven't used the Bosch yet. I have a really small condo kitchen and had no choice but to put it over the stove. If you do put a microwave over your stove I would definitely look into the convection microwave. It's like having an extra small oven that you can bake in and also use it as a microwave.

• silken1
    8 years ago

We're on our 3rd Panasonic microwave/convection oven. The first lasted 19 years, 2nd lasted 13 years and now this fairly new one. All have been similar with a few updates each time. You can do a combo which sort of bakes but is speeded up by microwave cutting in occasionally. Or all microwave, which we use the most. Or just normal convection (baking) so it is very versatile. I would much prefer a hood vented to the outside rather than an OTR microwave. Our combo is a larger size and can act as my 2nd oven if need be. I also have a Kenmore one at our cabin that has served us very well doing both microwave and convection cooking/baking. We usually spend Thanksgiving there and I often do my pumpkin pie on the convection setting because my turkey takes up the entire regular oven.