Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haley_comet

Help I have 'Front Load' fear! - Should I?

haley_comet
15 years ago

Perhaps I am old school but being so used to TL it is hard for me to go to FL's.

When I am shopping for a set the majority of the units a store will have will be FL's making my search for a TL tricky with fewer options.

So I fear the FL. The things I have read about moldy smells from moisture trapping, clothes not washing well, electrical issues etc etc. Are these elements I should really worry about?

FL washer and dryer owners:

If you were looking to buy another set would you stick with the FL or go back to the TL?

Thanks so much

Comments (24)

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

I went to a FL a year and a half ago and would never go back to a TL. The only thing I would do differently would be to buy a FL with an internal heater. I have a basic FridGEmore and I love it. I did a ton of reasearch on this site about how to care for my washer and get the best performance out of it and I couldn't be happier. Knowledge is power :)

• georgect
    15 years ago

Let's face it high efficiency washers will be the norm.

So either it's a front loader or top loader that uses way less water or a traditional top loader that will limit or adjust warm and hot water temperatures to save resources.

By now most (not all) of the kinks have been worked out with front loaders.

It's good practice to leave the door/detergent department slightly open to dry out the washer after use.
    Wipe any residual water from the rubber boot after use.
    Either use a hot wash on a normal basis or use the "Clean" cycle monthly.

With all the electronics new washers use, it's a good idea to plug it into a surge protector.

And use "he" detergent.

Maybe someone can add additional tips to keep these new high efficiency machines clean.

• bluesbarby
    15 years ago

I became a FL user kind of by default. I wasn't in the market for a new washer/dryer but my son moved out of state and gave me his brand new set when he left. I love it. Except for switching to HE detergent I really haven't changed any of my previous habits.
    Since I wash items by color I used to have a real problem with balance issues in my TL washer. I was constantly rearranging wet clothes. Towels and heavy items such as jeans were a nightmare. This is no longer an issue. The FL doesn't walk and is 10 times quieter. Since my laundry closet is located across from the bedrooms this was always an issue.
    It cleans as well if not better than my old set. It takes longer to wash but this is balanced by the shorter time in drying. So loads take about the same time.
    We're currently building a platform with 2 drawers for below the set. This is so I don't have to get on my knees to check the top of the drum for any small items that can stick. I almost had a disaster when a stray black sock was left in the washer and I ran a load of whites. Luckily it was colorfast. But everyone in my family is tall, I'm the shortest at 5 foot 8 and I have neck issues.
    I haven't had an issue with mildew smells. That could be because the set is in almost constant use. We have six adults living in this house and about every third load is on hot.
    Basically it's been an easy transition.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

I've had an FL for a few months, can't imagine going back.

• cynic
    15 years ago

First of all, to suggest that FL technology is "new" is naive. Both TL and FL have been around for decades! Now they're getting to be more high efficiency and some machines are changing.

If you're used to a top load and willing to learn, a front load can be a good choice. Front loads operate differently than conventional top loaders and if you're used to the old way and not willing to learn a new system, you're not a good candidate to change.

If you like to learn, then it's something to consider. You need to learn how to wash clothes all over again, essentially to get the best performance out of it. I doubt it's hard to learn, but it takes some willingness.

Your concerns about the smell and the like are very valid. Do you tend to leave wash in the machine for a day or two? Well, then you might not be a good candidate for a front loader. You do need to do some little maintenance items on a front loader, generally speaking, that wasn't required on a top loader. You do need to keep the door open, wipe it out and things like that. If you refuse to do it, you'll likely have trouble.

There's a lot of people who went to FL and will never go back. There's also a lot of people who have tried FL and went back to TL and will never go back. And each for a variety of reasons.

There's a lot of threads on this topic. It's really worth your time to read through them. It should give you ideas on what would be your best bet for your situation.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I got my first FL last summer. Our only regret was not going that route when we bought the last washer. Bigger, quieter and better.

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

I've had FLs for a very long time. I would never go back to TLs.

I never use HE laundry products.

I leave my damp clothes in the washers for days sometimes. I once left a washer with water sealed up in it for about two years (no clothes, though) without any problems.

I have the "smaller" 5K European washers, but I wash all kinds of big things, like queen-sized down comforters.

When I got my first FL (an Asko) I ordered it sight-unseen since I was desperate to prolong a failing septic system and it was the only one I could get.

I cried when I saw how small it was (the size of a dishwasher) after all the trouble and money I'd spent to get it here. I tried, unsuccessfully, to continue to use my then-fave detergent ERA liquid. And I think I was really crabby when I had to give it up. BUt I loved my machines when I finally got over my sulks and learned how to use them properly.

It was an operator issue, more than anything.

You (long ago) learned to use a TL. Learning to use a FL is no different, it's just a new pattern. Learning new stuff keeps your brain perky.

Molly~

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

I've been using FLs for over 30 years.

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

"If you were looking to buy another set would you stick with the FL or go back to the TL? "

I would stick to FL, unless in 10-15 years they are not available.

• richierich53
    15 years ago

We switched to a front load washer nine years ago and I'd never go back to a top load agitator washer. The front loader gets clothes much cleaner, and treats them much better. Have never had a problem with mold or odors. I tend to think the problems we hear about are from improper use or poor maintenance.

On old top loaders you had to clean the lint filter, take apart the fabric softener dispenser and wash it out and sometimes clean under the agitator.

On a front loader you have to rinse out the dispenser drawer every few months and wipe down the rubber boot once a week or so. Do that and you should not have any issues.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I had the opportunity to try a FL for 5 months before we moved and started building our house. My DD had smelly-clothes problems with her FL, so I was glad for the opportunity to test-drive a FL.

I had no trouble switching from a TL to FL, but I read the manual and did all the "Safe FL" practices recommended -- left the door ajar, never left wet clothes in it, wiped out the gasket, etc. I also wiped out the dispenser drawer and left it open so it could dry out. I used Charlie's Soap exclusively. Except for having to sit on a stool to empty the washer, I found nothing to dislike. Never had a problem with odors or mold.

For the new house, I've ordered a Samsung with the pedestals -- and am looking forward to learning how to use it!

Arlene

• jean222
    15 years ago

Lots of good points in previous posts. Mostly, I think you need to consider your own laundry style. I've had a front loader for about 2 years after many, many years of top loaders. Though a FL cleans as well, I'm not sure I would get one again. I miss being able to soak things right in the washing machine before running them through a regular load. I have to run an extra rinse on every load or clothes don't come out smelling clean. I suspect this is because they don't use enough water to dilute odors. This extra rinse probably negates any water savings. If you don't have a platform under the them, it can be tough on your back to load them. I know people gripe about having to clean a lint filter in the old top loaders, but if you have a septic system, bear in mind that all of the lint that would otherwise be trapped is going right into the system and can contribute to its failure. Just a few more things to think about.

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

It seems my old Kenmore washer (it was here when we bought the place) is on its last legs.

I was all set to go the FL route till I read that you should keep the door ajar.

I have young children and my youngest is very curious. I would think that leaving a FL door ajar with small children in the house is a recipe for disaster.

Isn't it just as dangerous as a child getting into an unused refrigerator and closing the door and not being able to get out (which is why you are supposed to remove the door from the hinges when disposing of them).

Am I missing something?

• dadoes
    15 years ago

Removing doors from abandoned refrigerators and freezers is related to old-style latching mechanisms that could be released only with the outside handle. Units nowadays largely have doors that close/seal via magnetic gaskets, which can easily be pushed open from inside.

Frontload washers *are* a bit more of concern since they do have mechanical latching/locking mechanisms. Most children older than a toddler should be able to kick the door open from inside, unless the machine is turned on and locked. All machines should have a warning/checking process of some ilk to deter/detect a child inside ... but they aren't necessarily foolproof. Some machines lock, spray some water, then unlock for a few moments before locking again and continuing on with the cycle, giving a child inside warning and opportunity to kick the door open ... if the child is aware to do so, and if other mischievous youngsters aren't holding the door closed. Some machines have a detection routine that works by rotating the drum and sensing for the inertia of something inside other than clothes and refusing to run if so.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

FL washer doors, unlike refrigerator doors, generally don't close and seal automatically. If you find one that does, don't buy it.

A kid could climb up on a TL washer and fall in head-first.

• chipshot
    15 years ago

The washer and dryer should be only two of your concerns, kitchenredo. There are plenty of cleaning products and equipment that can be consumed, put in eyes, fall, etc. Do you have child-safety locks on all your cabinets? Would it be practical to put a lock on your laundry room door, or at least one of those things you squeeze to turn the knob?

• housefairy
    15 years ago

Dadoes, I wondered why my new washer does the lock, spray, and then unlocks. Then locks and run. I thought maybe something was wrong with the machine. However, I had noticed it did it on all wash cycles. Now I know it's a child safety thing. Thanks for the info.

And Chipshot has a valid point. I do know of one child who went to the hospital because he ate the laundry detergent.

• georgect
    15 years ago

Although safety measures are usually built into front loaders...

I think we need to teach the child (just like you would with the oven/stove) that it is not to be touched/played with.

It is a machine, capable of hurting/killing innocent, curious, developing, exploring little minds. It's better to discipline the child then have them rushed to the hospital.

You may want to plug the washer into a electrical strip that can be turned off...but you have to remember to do so all the time every time.

Have them help you with laundry don't have them do it.
    It's true you have to watch them like a hawk.

• richierich53
    15 years ago

There was a horrible tragedy recently with a child being killed in a front loading washing machine. The news story said this was the first recorded death of a child in a front loader. It also said there have been multiple deaths of children in top loaders. Any machine can be dangerous.

Today's machines have many safety features, including child-lock controls. Parents must train children not to climb into washers, dryers, ovens and other appliances, and make sure they are using all the safety features the appliance offers.

As a parent, I know it is not easy and I don't mean to preach. But when I go out in public and see parents letting their children "run wild" and not keeping their toddlers controlled, I can't help but think there is an accident waiting to happen at home.

• chipshot
    15 years ago

If only parents watched their offspring as well as hawks do (up until it's time for them to leave the nest). Sadly, kids are probably safer around laundry machines than they are riding unbelted in cars and trucks or not in a proper child safety seat or booster. Survival isn't an accident.

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

I don't know what you people do but my kids grew up around appliances and yes they were very curious and climbed on top of things too. Use your common sense. Close or lock doors! There is so many inventions these days to keep kids out of trouble. Discipline your kids too!!!! They know when they do something wrong but many parents just ignore it. No wonder there is somany brats around.

• housefairy
    15 years ago

Haley Comet, in response to your post. My old FL Neptune (9+ years) was just replaced with a FL Samsung. The old Neptune was just wore out. Other than at the end, it didn't really have any problems. The bearings were going, so it would really scream when it went into airplane mode. Apparently for a Maytag, mine was in the minority.

I didn't consider going back to the TL. My old FL was just gentler on the clothes. Things that I wouldn't wash in my old TL, such as some wools and silk, I wash in the FL.

The new one probably adds 5-10 minutes on wash time. Unless you sanitize, then it probably adds an hour. The new one seems to wash better, but that may be because the old one was about to quit. I've never had the mold issue or tangling problem.

My new unit is bigger, but it also has no problem with washing a single pair of pants. It is also quieter when it goes into airplane mode than my old Neptune. And the Neptune was really quiet.

And and far as kids in the washer, mine are both over 6 foot tall. So if they're dumb enough to get in, I'll personally push the button. HA!

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Careful, housefairy. If your kids see that post, you may be the one in the washer.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

In terms of kid safety I am all in favour of all the safety devices in the world including universal GFCIs on all outlets, but there is no substitute for, to be blunt, being a parent. I don't know if it's very much in vogue these days.

When I was out with my kids or near water, I found myself watching other people's kids as much as my own, the carelessness of some staggered me.

As for front loaders? I think that battle was fought and won a long time ago. When I replace my tl, it will be an fl.

More efficient, better clean, etc etc.

BTW the door interlock's not just for safety, it's also so you don't flood yourself, as you would if you opened the door whilst it was 'full' of water, although they are hardly 'full' - I think the washing action more closely mimics hand washing, which is a good thing.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County