Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xoxosmom_gw

Do you prefer powder or liquid laundry detergent?

xoxosmom
16 years ago

I purchased our new GE harmony W/D set yesterday. While waiting for delivery I thought I would research your top picks and tips for use.

Do you prefer powder or liquid? Also do you use a fabric softener (liquid washer formula or dryer sheet)? I am looking into going more green/natural in our new house but I have nostalgia for my childhood laundry smells. So I want a little bit of scent when the laundry gets put away.

Comments (16)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

xoxosmom
    I use to be a liquid laundry person, but not any more! I switched to powder and like it much better. I do everything "green" I use Charlies soap, but that does not have a scent.. if you want to go all natural with a soft mild scent, I recommend Shaklee's powder laundry detergent. It comes with a mild scent, or fragrance free. They also make natural dryer sheets and liquid fabric softener. Here is a link for you! I also highly recommend Shaklee's Nature Bright Laundry boost and stain remover.( it is wonderful) Scroll down on the page and you will see the other laundry products... "better together"
    Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaklee

• olympiceagle
    16 years ago

The January 2007 issue of Consumer Reports magazine rated a total of 39 laundry detergents (10 HE, 22 conventional, and 7 with fabric softeners). There is quite a large range between the top rated ones and the bottom rated ones. The magazine says, "Our tests have shown that there's little performance difference between powders and liquids; it's simply a matter of personal preference." As for fabric softeners, their current (March 2008) issue rates 12 liquids, 8 sheets, and 2 cloths/balls. If you are not a Consumer Reports subscriber, you might not be able to see all the detailed ratings on their web site. If so, let me know how I can help.

• User
    16 years ago

I definitely prefer powdered detergent. I used liquid detergent when it first came out and it left funny stains on my clothes. I went back to Tide powder and haven't changed. I also find the liquid detergent to be messier and harder to clean up, and I don't like pouring liquid detergent on dry clothes in my washer.

Having spilled and struggled to clean up a bottle of shampoo, I'd use powdered shampoo, too, if I could!

• plumbly22
    16 years ago

I was a liquid user, but agree the mess of dribbles or around the bottm of the bottle was just that, a mess. I switched to Charlie's powder. As Ree indicates, Charlie's leaves NO smell behind. I get "around" that by cutting fabric softner sheets (which I personally hate btw) into ~1/2 inch strips (I get about 10 per sheet so a box lasts forever)... the tiny bit o sheet leaves a very mild fragrance, plus there is just enough there to kill any static that might have otherwise been in the dryer load.

I haven't had a 'smell' problem with my machine (~18 months old). I have used the powder for about 1/2 that time. Many here will state they have had film/mold/smell in their machines and do/did use liquids.

• stahlee
    16 years ago

We used liquid for years and just changed to powder a few months back. We also don't use liquid fabric softener anymore and switched to Bounce Free sheets with no perfuses and dyes.

I think our laundry feels so much better now. I believe the liquids build up in the clothes over time. Could be my imaginations though.

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

Another powder user - Charlie's (formerly an ALL Free & Clear liquid user). One tablespoon per load - at a cost of 9 cents per load. No softener - liquid or sheets. It's unnecessary and it can also be dangerous to use - even the types that are scent- and dye-free are loaded with toxic chemicals. I had been using white vinegar in the rinse of every load, but I only use it in the rinse of kitchen and bath towels now.

-Grainlady

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

i have a Kenmore washer and they stated that liquids were preferred for their machines and they tend not to build up on the drum which can cause mildew. We used Tide HE for a long time (liquid) but read recently on here about Charlie. We used Tide as we found other brands caused itching. Well, so far so good! The clothes feel better and i do like the no fragrance on them. Towels that used to smell after being used a couple of times started to smell, not any more! Charlie liquid is not cheap, but worth every penny. Also, I had a shirt that had a stain on it and Tide would not get it out, even when I put neat detergent on it. Thought i would have to throw out the shirt, tried neat Charlie on it and its disppeared.

• ctbosox
    16 years ago

I also think the liquid is building up in the clothes. I've read about Charlie's on here and think I'll give it a try. DW likes me to put softner in both wash and dry and I've never thought the towels smelled good.

• stbonner
    16 years ago

I'm another Charlie's soap powder user. That's all I use, no dryers sheets or fabric softeners. At first, I missed the perfume smell that I associated with clean clothes. Now I know that clean clothes don't have a heavy smell, and I prefer the clean fresh scent of clothes washed in Charlie's Soap.

• georgect
    16 years ago

I'm a liquid user for the most part but every now and then buy a powder just to change the pace. Usually Tide or Gain.

Is it just me or do powders tend to fade colors more so than liquid? (I'm still using a top loader.)

• angelic_one2002
    16 years ago

I definitely prefer LIQUID over powder. It mixes in with the water much better, and doeanst leave white streaks on your clothing. I also like it better because you can pretreat with it so much easier. I think powder tends to fade clothes so much quicker than liquid detergent.

• lulundave
    16 years ago

I prefer powder for most loads and liquid for hand washables.

I really love Sunlight powder and liquid(Canadian)as the scent left behind is very mild.

• laney50w
    16 years ago

I always use liquid soap. Powder soap tends to leave white blotches on clothing, because powder does not always dissipate properly in water. Especially when doing things like blankets, comforters, bulky loads, coats...etc etc

Then again, I have a Front Load machine, and this is what I use. This question comes up a lot at my job.

I have been selling appliances for over 20 years, and even my own machine gets liquid detergent only.

Chris

• cynic
    16 years ago

I use both but prefer liquids. Much easier diluted although the powders of late seem to dissolve much better than 20 years ago. A liquid spill is far easier to clean up than a powder spill and powders are just messier. But it's not a real big deal either way. I've learned to be more careful.

I used mostly powder then switched to liquid until about 2 years ago and went to Great Value enzyme powder, and tried Sun, a non-enzyme powder then tried Tide dye & perfume free and Gain liquid, oh and also Tide Regular 2x and have some Arm & Hammer left too. So I'm using a variety of products. Let's see, offhand I know of 6 different ones down there! I gave away the Spring liquid because I itched from it. And it looks like I might get to try out another different one. I never thought I'd enjoy doing laundry! LOL

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I have the Harmony also and I've always used liquids. I just use white vinegar for a fabric softener but if you like an actual fabric softener Seventh Generation has some that have pleasant scents. They are scented with essential oils not "fragrance" which is little more than chemicals made to smell like something, IE "fresh linen". Not something you'd find in nature! You can also find scented natural detergents, again Seventh Generation is the one that comes to my mind but there are others out there.