Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bot278

What kind of Washer for 2nd floor of old house 1894 wood floor

bot278
17 years ago

Want recommendations for washers for 2nd floor TL or FL? Background:Main house built 1894 (stuccoed over brick) ,room it will be in is the second floor of a 2 story addition put on in 1920. My plumber said the walls of this 2 floor addition are concrete on mesh with plaster skim coat, subfloor is 3/4" tongue and groove, with a 1 1/2 " hardwood on top, plaster ceilings, joists are 2 x 12. This Laundry room will be above a family room, after reading all the posts I can find I am leaning towards a top loader bec of vibrations....don't want a big hassle and have to return one that vibrates too ,much, or puts cracks in walls. With this description of house...would I have a vibration prob? Thanks

Comments (13)

• washer_man
    17 years ago

It's hard to know (at least for me) whether or not one particular installation will have vibration problems or not. Some do, and some don't. It's kinda like a lottery. However, given that many people do have problems like this, you are prudent to consider your washer choices keeping this problem in mind.

If you want to side step the problem completely, then what you want is a hung suspension top loader. These machines are different from base mount top loaders like the Whirlpool & Kenmore Direct Drive washers, because the wash tub is suspended from the cabinet with springs. This means that vibration impacts can't be transfered in the vertical direction into the floor. Base mount top loaders aren't compliant in the vertical direction, so vibration gets transfered much more efficiently.

Washers that are designed like this are the Kenmore Oasis, the Whirlpool Cabrio, The GE Harmony, the GE Profile, and all the Fisher & Paykel washers. Of these, the Oasis, the Cabrio, and the Fisher & Paykel washers all have water filled balance chambers attached to both the top and the bottom of the wash tub which cancel most vibrations at the source. The Harmony & the Profile washers only have balancing chambers on the top of the wash tub, but they are still good machines for flexible floor installations.

However, if you are set on a front loader, then I believe the latest Kenmore Het5 uses special dampers that automatically reduce the damping forces at the maximum spin speed. The Kenmore He2, and the Whirlpool Duet Sport also have these special dampers. These dampers help, and these washers are going to be better than most other front loaders, but they are still not going to be as good as the above mentioned top loaders.

• pagano
    17 years ago

hey washer man,
    thanks for the info about the hung-suspension, but I was wondering if you knew anything about the Maytag EPIC machines? They claim to have developed something called, "Smooth Balance" suspension system. Is that similar to the hung-suspension? Is it any good?
    Thanks

• washer_man
    17 years ago

I missed that one. The Maytag Epic is a re-badged version of the Kenmore Het5 / Whirlpool Duet, so anything I said about these two machines also applies to the Epic. According to the Maytag website the Epic suspension system is described as follows:

Smooth BalanceTM Suspension System uses 4 gap dampers and 2 additional springs to help reduce vibrations and keep loads balanced. Combined with a galvanized steel cabinet, it delivers rugged durability.

This is exactly the same as the Het5 & the Duet. It's what I meant when I described these two washers as having "special dampers", and like I described above, these dampers help, and these washers are going to be better than most other front loaders, but they are still not going to be as good as the above mentioned top loaders.

• jcrowley99
    17 years ago

I briefly owned a Bosch FLer that caused vibration problems. My laundry room is on the first floor, over a basement. The placement is such that the two rear legs are directly above the main support beam in the house. As it turns out, my floor is too flexible for a Fler. As I was unwilling to spend the kind of money that would be needed to fix this and still look good, I returned it and got the Whirlpool Cabrio HE. So far I love it, I have not had any problems with the laundry, and there are no vibrations even on high speed spin. I was afraid to get this at first because of stories I have read, but I am so glad I tried it. My salesman wanted me to try the Duet FLer to see what would happen, and said he would change it out again if that caused vibrations, but I was getting really tired of waiting for deliveries and pick-ups (my first front loader had a problem and had to be replaced). Good luck, let us know what you decide and how it works out for you. Just make sure that the store you purchase at is willing to exchange if there is a vibration problem, and that they will not charge you for restocking or delivery of another machine.

• bot278
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all for responses basically what I get I want to keep...cannot keep changing out machines due to the twists and turns in hallways getting it up to second floor. So I am really going to research this before I commit. I am leaning towards a top loader at present.

• svcmgr
    17 years ago

bot278:

Washer man has provided some very sound advice.

When doing your comparison shopping, keep in mind that in sharp contrast, the Bosch NEXXT Front Loaders have minimal, bare bones suspension damping components, so if you decide on a front loader, I would avoid the Bosch NEXXT series, especially when considering a 2nd floor installation. Even the current updated Bosch versions cannot compare to the strides other manufacturers have made in the area of vibration damping technology.

Thank you washer man for sharing your knowledge on the latest suspension advances.

• bot278
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan '07 Cons. Repts gives Top loaders by WP Cabrio He, Kenm Oasis HE and WP Cabrio high marks....big price....down the list they give high marks to a basic TL by Whirlpool model WTW5540 plus it is only $400..w/ avg energy prices etc total cost for purch of this washer and using it for 12 yrs only $1900. Any advice....looks mean nothing to me...just want a reliable....no fuss machine that washes?

• washer_man
    17 years ago

After looking at the Whirlpool website, I believe that that washer is one of Whirlpool's Direct Drive Base Mount washers. It's not a hung suspension washer, so I don't recommend it for a second floor installation .

• bot278
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks washer_man..don't you think w/ construction of my second floor. see my original post (it seems like it is solidly built)....the WP TL WTW 5540 should be ok? Hate to get into one of those machines w/ a computer board prefewr a rotary dial....want this to last....?

• perel
    17 years ago

There are a few other things you can do to reduce vibration as well. Putting an additional 1" plywood subfloor, bolted into multiple joists, may help some. (You might hear the T&G rattling/squeaking some, which the additional subfloor would help with)

Also, you can put in a heavy-duty vibration damping mat, the kind that are used for reducing vibration from roof-mounted air conditioning condensers.

And is Miele out of your price range? They're highly recommended on here too, just out of the price range many people are looking in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anti-vibration pads

• washer_man
    17 years ago

I'm a terrible judge of what's going to cause a vibration problem and what isn't. Some people don't have a problem, and some people do. I think the unpredictability of the whole thing is caused by the fact that floors have resonant frequencies, and washers have resonant frequencies, and you only have problems when all resonant frequencies coincide.

I understand your concern about not having a rotary dial, but if I remember correctly, I think that the Oasis does actually have a rotary dial control, it's just that the the washer itself is still controlled with a computer board.

• dasharp1
    16 years ago

Washer Man, does the Cabrio with the agitator have the same hung suspension as the Cabrio non-agi models?

• dudleyfuddpucker
    16 years ago

My F&P IWL16 causes not a single vibration in the floor when on high-speed spin. I hear it, but even standing right next to it can't feel a thing.

This is on the ground floor of a 3-floor house (i.e. above a basement).

I think for your app the F&P would be perfect.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert