Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

What would you do in this facelift counter dilemma? VOTE!

jterrilynn
10 years ago

Hi all, we are in the process of remodeling a new home. I want to change the two tier counter to one counter height level. Due to budget I have to keep the perimeter granite counters. I need some ideas on a countertop for the lowered counter height island that will go with the perimeter counter granite. Also, I do not want to paint or stain the cabinets as I have furnishings to jive with the vibrancy. I am removing the center wall cabinet between the windows and using the oddly placed shelves above windows as open shelving in that center area (thank you decorating forum). I have provided two pictures as it is now and two pictures of the granite in different lighting. From a distance in high light the counter reads a sort of Dijon with dark brown bits. The bottom picture is the island with Antique Brown granite but I'm not a hundred percent sure about it.

KITCHEN AS IT IS NOW! IN this picture the counters show a bit brighter as it was played with by realty photographer.

This is a picture I took that gives a another idea on how the counter reads in different light.

GRANITE IN LIGHT!

GRANITE IN SHADE!

ISLAND with ANTIQUE BROWN GRANITE???

What would you do if you were on a budget and could not replace all the counters and needed something for island that would go with the mix and perimeter granite?
Antique Brown Yes or NO? Or, hey Terri I have a better idea...

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 14:41

Comments (11)

• kcorn
    10 years ago

I definitely think you can do the antique brown countertop on the island. It will work perfect together without changing anything else.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I really like antique brown.

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

Do you really want a different material? I'm wondering if a craftsman could just marry the two existing pieces together for you, installed at counter height. Of course, there would be a seam, but our installers did such a nice job on our seam its hard to find. I'd choose a seam and money in my pocket over adding another material; finding a countertop to coordinate with those existing finishes looks difficult to me.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

jterrilynn:

It's not that big a deal to pull the counters, have the edges milled on a CNC machine and seamed together. If you pay a bit more and have the seam top polished, it will be fairly inconspicuous. You may have to have all the edges re-profiled after the seam is made because the likely hood of the upper and lower top aligning perfectly is slim.

You probably have duplex receptacles in your splash that will have to be moved to the island sides to meet code. Don't forget that in your budget.

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

Another vote for using the same material as the perimeter in the island..

• User
    10 years ago

I'd ask a fabricator if they can seam the two slabs into one.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

My vote is for adding a seam and put them together if you can find a really good fabricator in your area.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! I have this dilemma cross posted on the decorating side. I have come to terms with using the same granite. However, there are issues so I may do a separate post to determine what this stone is. If possible I think I will re-granite the whole one level in one piece of the same stone. I donâÂÂt think I would be happy with joining seams, the top tier bullnose cutoff would leave my shallow 11â overhang on the other side even shallower. I would also have too many seams as there is a narrow pieced in section of granite at the back of the slide-in range. In the scheme of things this large island with a two tier in an open plan house with 8â ceiling is just not aesthetically pleasing. Plus I do prefer a one level for many reasons. Feel free to offer ideas on what the name of this stone isâ¦

• User
    10 years ago

The bigger issue is how you plan to convert the island to a single level. It ain't gonna be an easy or cheap project to do that. Those cabinets on the back can't readily be remade without painting them to hide the redo. Alterations like that are labor intensive, and that usually tips the scale towards just starting over with all new cabinets and a much more simple and quick install labor.

Now, you probably could remove those cabinets entirely, and then source from the original company some tall fillers and some legs to make it into a tabl island setup, but it won't match. But, you're not gonna cut those boxes down, take the doors completely apart to remill the stiles and center panels, and then put the whole thing back together cheaper than you can just buy new. The granite is down the difficulty and expense scale from the cabinetry issues that you have.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly you bring up some very good points! I really do not even need a storage area by counter seating area. If those were deep cabinets I might struggle with eliminating them but they are not. They are 12â deep. I have way more cabinets than I need in the kitchen as it is. My mind is so trained on utilizing whatâÂÂs there or repurposing stuff that I never thought of just eliminating that whole section and starting over for a counter height seating area. It would also solve another peeve in that I like my counter seating deeper than the 11â that there now.

• User
    10 years ago

KD to the rescue! I'm glad to see some out-of-the-box thinking starting to emerge.