Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garine_gw

Who has had experience with Yorktowne or Diamond Cabinets??

garine
14 years ago

We are in planning stages for a new kitchen. The design is pretty much set, but I'm trying to find the best cabinets for my money. We are going to have off-white/linen painted cabinets --Right now, it's between Kraftmaid, Diamond, and Yorktowne.

It seems that many, many people have experience with Kraftmaid, as well as myself. I redid a smaller kitchen in a previous house with Kraftmaid. Not a lot of problems with it. It was fine and the quality was good for the money. But this time, we were thinking to go a small step up - still a semi-custom line. The room is 12X14 - lots of cabinets!!! Need to keep the cost on the low side.

I've not seen any archived threads on Yorktowne or Diamond Cabinets. Thanks for any feedback.

-G

Comments (11)

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

We had yorktown as builder cabinets in our old house. I don't know if they have different lines, but these were cheap. I wouldn't use them if it was my choice. They were cracked on the face boards, and the drawer fronts fell off in everyone's house in the neighborhood. I had new drawer boxes made.
    Lisa

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

Oh, it was a fairly upscale home built by Toll Brothers, just to give you a frame of reference.
    Lisa

• nkkp
    14 years ago

We have yorktowne cabinetry and overall I am pleased. They were not any cheaper than Kraftmaid and atleast at the time, they offered more size options than kraftmaid or Diamond. When we bought them the construction was basically the same as KM. No problems with things falling-off or such. I will say, quality control was a bit poor- we have cherry doors and did have a number replaced due to poor staining, but they did it without any issues.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

We remodeled a bathroom in our last home using Diamond Cabinets. I was pleased with them. We had the Toasted Almond finish which has a glaze look to it which went well with the other creamy white finishes we had in our home.

I looked at catalogs and kitchen displays when we were getting ready to remodel our kitchen and I think Diamond has really awesome storage solutions...tons of cool pull-outs and stuff. Ultimately, we went with custom cabinets because I wanted inset doors, but I think the Diamond storage stuff is way better than the Rev-a-shelf stuff our custom cabinet guy used.

No experience with the other two brands.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I have Yorktowne Cabs and I have found them to be perfectly
    fine. They were here when we moved in. I repainted rather
    than replaced them for my mini reno. At 13 or more years old
    they look far better than some of the new cabinets.
    I have seen some cheap ugly prefab type cabs with the
    label Yorktowne but these are not their Gold Collection.

Is this DIY or do you have a KD, GC or cabinet maker?
    If I wanted to go a step up from KM I would seriously
    consider a cabinet maker. You might discover in this market
    they have great deals and work hard for their money.
    Choose KM or Yorktown and the cabinet maker can do some
    amazing molding or details that will look as beautiful
    as Fieldstone or Crystal cabinets.

~boxerpups

here is an article about cabs and a link from last summer.

Compare cabinets web article
    http://www.cabinetscompare.com/?page_id=115

Here is a link that might be useful: Which Cabinets? Omega, Yorktowne, Medallion

• anzmd
    14 years ago

I installed Diamond cabinets two kitchens ago, and I was happy with them. They were from a cabinet outlet in Portland, OR and I am not sure whether they were rejected at the factory for some reason, refused by homeowners, or what...

But we didn't have any that were out of square or other obvious manufacturing defects. One of the doors had a knot that wasn't the most attractive, but I have heard much worse from people who bought regular new Kraftmaid.

They were natural/light cherry with Shaker doors.

I miss that kitchen.

• beejay27
    14 years ago

Our Yorktowne cabinets are over 50 years old and still going strong. ;-) But that doesn't help you now. Good luck with your decision.

• oldhousegal
    14 years ago

Like anzmd I too have Diamond cabinets that I bought from the same outlet store. I purchased them as I was tearing out the kitchen, so they occasionally got kicked and things dropped on them, not to mention moved around quite a bit.
    I love them! They have soft closing doors and drawers and all sorts of cool pull outs and maple drawers, most have the plywood box frame. I chose the maple shaker door style and repainted them to a color I wanted that I couldn't order, since they were outlet closeouts, returns, etc.

I get a lot of compliments on them and refer everyone I know to this place. By the way, the whole kitchen (11 X 15) was less than $2000 for the cabinets, plus about $250 for paint. So, perhaps I like them more since they were easy on the pocketbook!

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

oldhousegal - could you send me pics of your kitchen? We recently purchased Diamond cabinets, but haven't had them installed yet. Which did you go with? Did you get them with pull outs? we got sorrel maple.

• portland_renovation
    14 years ago

oldhousegal -- what outlet did you go to? All of the cabinet outlets I went to had terrible junk!

I already ordered my cabs, but am just interested in what other stores and resources are out there in PDX. There is always another room to renovate!