Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindabarbara_gw

Just some thought: current design trends & upholstery concern

lindabarbara
14 years ago

I was thinking a lot about this subject lately, especially after reading through numerous decorating blogs and magazines. There is a current trend to decorate in neutral fabrics and designs with little or no embellishments. The once frilly shabby chic look seems to be modified and pared down; that is, the sofas seems to be constructed in simple lines and upholstered or slip covered in linen, canvas and burlap--all in neutral colors.

The walls seems to be pale and neutral; the kitchens use natural elements such as stone counters. Stainless steel stools, where once mostly wood were used, are now the current favorites for kitchen islands. The accessories are white stoneware and baskets, again with a natural presence.

This is just an observation of mine and I do love the look, however, I don't know if I could live with the lack of color. Now I realize we all make our own choices and we don't have to live with what seems to be the most current or popular, but this brings to my attention a little problem that I have been wrestling with.

I have a small condo in Maine--I don't think I'm too far from My3dogs. I purchased a tailored, comfortable Ethan Allen sofa and love seat, but I had it upholstered in a floral pattern--something I have never done before. I wanted something different and something that looked "cottagey" for this condo.

I fear the floral design is starting to "get to me..." It's very pretty, but I don't think it's totally me. I'm now thinking of purchasing slipcovers to cover the chairs to give me a change.

I know this is a lengthly email, but I'm trying to concisely tie in a current decorating trend observation with my indecision as to what to do with my condo.

First of all, thanks for listening and secondly, I would welcome your thoughts. I appreciate your good sense more than you know.

Comments (17)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Hi from a 'neighbor'?

I have to say that my home is the antithesis of what you describe, but I don't follow current 'trends' at all. While I can admire neutral rooms in magazines, they are not 'me'. Each room is a different color, but I unify them by using some common colors in each. My dining room wallpaper actually has every paint color in my home in it. I think if you bring a little of what you love into each room, you'll find a unifying theme.

Personally, I do what I like, no matter what may be current. Do you have some photos of the room and the EA pieces so we might be able to offer more informed advice?

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I would try the neutral slipcovers. You can add any type of pattern you like with pillows, which you can change out with out a huge investment. For instance, grainsack pillows are big now or perhaps you want something cosier for winter like velvet. Come summer and bring out the pretty blue and white stripped pillows. A neutral slipcover will give you a versatile backdrop to create a warm interior. Neutral does not have mean stark or boring - its like wearing beige and then adding a scarf, jewelry or knit wrap to create different looks. Good luck!

• lindabarbara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought I would try to post some pictures of my condo living room; the colors are not correct in the photos. The sofa is a medium sage background with florals in gold, a terra cotta/burgundy, etc. My walls are painted BM Desert Sand and the neighboring dining area is BM Lapland.

I have since purchased wooden blinds for the windows and a sisal rug bordered in a burgundy color that helps define the area in the living room and pulls the red from the coach; it also matches the check pattern on the dining chairs.

Hope this works! Thanks for your help and opinions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Condo Living Room

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Like 3dogs, i'm not a trend setter OR a trend follower. I usually have a vision of how I would like a room to look, and go with it. I've had the florals and absolutley loved the look, but when I moved to my new home, just wasn't 'feeling' that look in the new space.

Your LR is absolutely charming, and I find it to be 'traditionally classic' as well as cottage-y! 'If it ain't broken, why fix it'?' It the colors of the floral were red/white/blue, that would be over-the-top TOO much, but find your floral as striking as a bouquet of flowers.

If you feel the *need* to slipcover the chairs, why not? You can always remove them for a second look. ;o)

• denali2007
    14 years ago

I think your condo is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing at this point.

• htnspz
    14 years ago

I really like your florals! There could be a little tweaking with some of the side pillow fabrics so maybe you could start there.
    Maybe you could put the design magazines down for now and see if the feeling for change goes away. I know I find design magazines highly influential especially given their staging and lighting. It might be good to double verify the voice you're hearing is your own.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

Your room looks wonderful the way it is but I hear in your letter a yearning for a change so I'd suggest that you have the seats and pillows slip covered in a neutral shade and leave the actual sofa in the print, that way you get the best of both worlds and it won't cost a fortune to do it.

• karen_je
    14 years ago

Your space is beautiful!!! Hey, just because I check out the hunky guy who mows the neighbor's lawn across the street doesn't mean I have to leave my hubby! I wouldn't get any slipcovers. Instead take your throw pillows off and replace them with more neutral ones. I'd love to see something like these (from French Laundry and Pottery Barn). Blog envy can be a dangerous thing!

• suero
    14 years ago

Floral chintz out of date? better not tell Mario Buatta.

Your room is lovely.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I love chintz! You're room is pretty and I would go with the idea of changing the pillows as a start.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

WOW!!!! LOVE your floral chintz!!!! Great taste! If you want to change something, I agree with a previous poster, change the pillows on the couch "and" the valance in the dinningroom. :0) IF you want the latest trend, going VERY neutral,then white slipcovers would get you "that" look, it's up to you. We all like to change our surroundings every now and then. :0)

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

I adore your living area, and wouldn't change the sofas, but if you must change, you can always swap my neutral boring tan!
    I went with neutral thinking they would have a long shelf life, but I'm bored with them.

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

Your home is so lovely - you have made some very nice choices, & everything looks "pulled together." Congratulations.

Personally, I really like the design on the chairs; it's something, without being a real pattern. Some people slipcover in neutral for summer & take them off for winter...

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Wow - like the others - I agree that the room is absolutely beautiful as it is now. I have found that just making new pillows or pillows covers really changes my living room, so agree with the others to start with that small change, if you feel change is needed.

The floral pattern is gorgeous! I'm still not a neutral person, but why not leave the warmth that you have now for this time of year, and if you want slip covers, do them for spring and summer? You have wonderful taste and a beautiful home.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Floral chintz out of date? better not tell Mario Buatta.

That's the first thing I thought too!

Rachel, at Hue Blog, has a current post about designer Doug Meyer Interesting because he is quoted as saying, 'The one thing I stay clear of for interiors is a trend.'

Comments on the post go on to discuss the actual retail value and limits of trends too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doug Meyer interview

• lindabarbara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning,
    I just wanted to offer my thanks to all of you for the warm comments and opinions offered to me regarding my little home (condo) in Maine.
    I have recently (this weekend) purchased a different area rug and have white wooden blinds installed on the windows. When I have my camera with me, I'll post more pictures--If I can figure out my Flickr account!
    Again, thank you for all the friendship, opinions, and comments offered; I so appreciate and value each of them--it's such a nice way to share thoughts and opinions with all of you....thank you again.

• Penelope
    14 years ago

I'm *not* a floral chintz person, but I love your room! The floral is very fresh and pretty, not at all stuffy or dated. Your condo is really lovely. I'm not usually a fan of slipcovers. If they're not really well fitted they can look rumpled. OTOH, it can be a nice change of pace for the warm seasons.

I found it interesting reading your comments about current trends. Like with all trends, there are things I like and things I don't. I do like the emphasis on natural elements. They're soothing and warm and can even be cheap! Like my little stack of flat river stones currently on the mantel, picked up at the beach. Other trendy things I just don't like. Those stainless or aluminum chairs and barstools just look to me like they belong in police station or jail. Neutral colors are great, but I also love color. I wish I could afford a Susan Sargent rug, for instance.

You seem to have great taste and style, so trust your instinct. If you continue to feel the upholstery isn't what you want, then go ahead and slipcover. But maybe give it a couple months more to let everything grow on you.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida